#1 JillianLindsay

JillianLindsay

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:47 AM

Hello,

I found a tasty-looking recipe for pork tenderloin in the slow-cooker that I would like to try out, however it calls for dry onion soup mix. Does anyone know of a gluten-free dry onion soup mix? It is not listed on Campbell's Gluten-Free List (Canada) and I can't seem to find anything with online searches. Or does anyone know how I can make a home-made alternative (keeping in mind that I am not a whiz in the kithcen!)?

Thank you :)
Jillian

gluten-free since July 8, 2009!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 JillianLindsay

JillianLindsay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:54 AM

I found this: http://www.penny.ca/Lipton.htm that says the onion soup is gluten-free, but it was last updated January 2003.

However, my husband bought me a packet and it lists Yeast Extract in the ingredients. I always thought that was unsafe and this list: http://www.gicare.co...luten-Free.aspx says yeast extract contains gluten (as it contains Barley).

Jillian

Hello,

I found a tasty-looking recipe for pork tenderloin in the slow-cooker that I would like to try out, however it calls for dry onion soup mix. Does anyone know of a gluten-free dry onion soup mix? It is not listed on Campbell's Gluten-Free List (Canada) and I can't seem to find anything with online searches. Or does anyone know how I can make a home-made alternative (keeping in mind that I am not a whiz in the kithcen!)?

Thank you :)
Jillian

#3 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:19 PM

Isn't Lipton dry onion soup gluten-free? It's past 4pm Eastern so I can't call. I also can't find the ingredients online.
Here's a recipe for dry onion soup mix I found on Recipezaar.
http://www.recipezaa...Soup-Mix-266762
Homemade Dry Onion Soup mix

Ingredients
7 ounces beef bouillon powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup dried onion flakes
1/2 cup onion powder
1/4 cup dried parsley
1/8 cup onion salt
Directions
1Mix all together and store in container.
21/4 cup of this = 1 envelope.
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

#4 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:30 PM

Hum, I lost a post

Lipton is an Unilevel Company and their policy is to clearly list all forms of gluten. It is the only one of their dry soups and mixes that is gluten free.

It should be gluten free Jillian, as it lists no gluten. I use it all the time in my beef stew.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#5 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:04 PM

I use it all the time.

Me too! Mmmmmmmm, onion dip :P

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#6 JillianLindsay

JillianLindsay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:45 PM

Could someone please confirm the information I posted about Yeast Extract? Thank you :)

#7 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:48 PM

You can make your own with this recipe:

http://www.recipezaar.com/24952
Has lots of good comments too.
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#8 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:14 PM

Could someone please confirm the information I posted about Yeast Extract? Thank you :)

In this particular case, Lisa answered it in post #4. Unilever is totally reliable when it comes to listing gluten ingredients. If it doesn't say (barley) after Yeast Extract, it's not made from barley. Other companies may use the barley, you'd have to go on a product by product basis :)

Rachelle 20dance.gif

-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#9 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:14 PM

You might want to contact Lipton (Unilevel) and request information regarding the source of the Yeast Extract. Yeast is not an ingredient that I am often concerned about. :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#10 ksymonds84

ksymonds84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:35 AM

You can make your own with this recipe:

http://www.recipezaar.com/24952
Has lots of good comments too.

Thanks for posting this Purple. Although Lipton onion mix is gluten free it does contain soy (which I can't have) and other unnecessary ingredients. I would rather make from scratch whenever possible. :)
Kathy

Gluten free 3/08
Negative blood work/positive endoscopy
Fructose Malabsorption
Soy free

#11 JillianLindsay

JillianLindsay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:33 AM

Thank you for clarifying :)

In this particular case, Lisa answered it in post #4. Unilever is totally reliable when it comes to listing gluten ingredients. If it doesn't say (barley) after Yeast Extract, it's not made from barley. Other companies may use the barley, you'd have to go on a product by product basis :)

#12 1seashell

1seashell

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:27 AM

I just bought a box of lipton onion soup mix and the ingredients list autolyzed yeast extract (barley). So mine would not be gluten free. Please remember to always check labels when you purchase any product as formulas change and may be different depending on where it is manufactured. Even though I live in the US my product was made in Canada, It was bought in a major supermarket chain (Stop & Shop) in Mass.

#13 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:20 PM

I just bought a box of lipton onion soup mix and the ingredients list autolyzed yeast extract (barley). So mine would not be gluten free. Please remember to always check labels when you purchase any product as formulas change and may be different depending on where it is manufactured. Even though I live in the US my product was made in Canada, It was bought in a major supermarket chain (Stop & Shop) in Mass.

I also bought a box of that, too...either from Food Lion or Giant. I gave it to my DIL. I do have one box of the old left after which I'm going to make my own from the recipe on food.com.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#14 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:40 PM

I have a recipe for crockpot swiss steak that uses an envelope of Lipton's onion soup mix, but next time I'm going to substitute some dried onion and some beef boullion powder, and I'll bet it comes out pretty much the same. You could try that. I'm guessing a tablespoon or two of the onions, and maybe enough boullion powder for 2 cups' worth of liquid (or 2 boullion cubes dissolved in some liquid).
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#15 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:05 PM

I just bought one today! It's by Simply Organic. 99cents at Fred Meyer/Krogers right now in the health food section!

Rachelle 20dance.gif

-gluten-free since 1/06

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: