This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

We Keep Getting Glutened With Vegetable Oil

bethmon

bethmon Rookie

I would never have thought that 100% veg oil would be a problem, but there must be cross contamination. Both my son and I have gotten sick with spectrum safflower oil as well as 2 "generic" oils - a soybean oil and a generic safflower.

Can anyone tell me what brands of oil we might find safe? I have none now and desperate to get some safe oil.

thanks so much

Beth

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest backboneexecutives

I would never have thought that 100% veg oil would be a problem, but there must be cross contamination. Both my son and I have gotten sick with spectrum safflower oil as well as 2 "generic" oils - a soybean oil and a generic safflower.

Can anyone tell me what brands of oil we might find safe? I have none now and desperate to get some safe oil.

thanks so much

Beth

Spectrum Safflower oil.. We don't use any vegetable oil (I would just stay away from it anyway it is really bad for you, when I can't have something it usually is something I shouldn't have anyway so I consider myself lucky I can't have it, it keeps me healthier)

bethmon Rookie

thanks so much

Beth

Yep, went to spectum's page and their cooking oils share the machinery with wheat germ oil. AAAHHH!!! How do I know that someone elses won't??

RiceGuy Collaborator

I never even thought about oils being produced on shared equipment. Makes me shiver! I don't think I've ever gotten glutened by vegetable oil, but I guess I'll be wondering whenever I'm feeling a bit off.

Anyway, one brand of safflower oil I know of (but never tried) is Flora. It's expensive. I'd have to guess that MacNut is safe, since all they make is macadamia oil from what I know. It's a wonderful oil, though not quite as high a smoke point as safflower. Since coconut oil is processed so differently than most, I'd suppose there's a good chance it's not made on equipment shared with wheat products. The best coconut oil I know of is produced by centrifuge on dedicated equipment. If you like coconut, you'll LOVE this oil. No other I've tried even comes close, no matter what the claims. But coconut oil is not a salad oil, since it's solid below about 76 degrees. It is very healthy though.

However, if you're very allergic to ragweed, that might rule out safflower and sunflower, as both are apparently related to ragweed. But then so is lettuce, and a bunch of other common things. Besides, cooking oils are supposed to be refined enough to handle high temperatures, which should mean very little impurities. So allergic reactions might not be something to worry about for most people.

My thinking is that oils from things other than seeds (and maybe some nuts) would require different processing, thus different equipment. At least for part of the process.

HTH

bethmon Rookie

Thanks HTH! I'll look at those. We do love coconut!

I;ve also done research this morning and Bertolli says their olive oil is gluten-free w/no cross contamination.

Also called crisco, and though they make a veg spray w/flour in it, they say it is kept separate and all other oils from them are 100% gluten-free no cross contamination.

jackay Enthusiast

I tested sensitive to safflower, sunflower and soy bean oil. Right now I am sticking to olive oil and coconut oil. I am hoping I can bring back the other oils once my stomach heals more.

Most chips are fried in safflower, sunflower or soybean oil. Not that chips are healthy, but a good crunch from a chip would be much appreciated.

• 9 years later...
Daphne do Collaborator

Ok so would that safflower oil be good for deep frying ? And is there any other oil I could safely use to deep fry I just want to have a cheese burger and french fries but I am only safe eating at home so I have to deep fry the French fries myself in ordered a brand new deep fryer just need oil

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Daphne do Collaborator

And if allergic to rag weed what would it do to you I eat lettuce and don't notice it bothering my stomach but I always have a head I have allergies to every thing that grows out side flowers , ragweed ,grass, I'm allergic to dust and cats so I guess I don't know if lettuce bothers me or not 

Just now, Daphne do said:

And if allergic to rag weed what would it do to you I eat lettuce and don't notice it bothering my stomach but I always have a head I have allergies to every thing that grows out side flowers , ragweed ,grass, I'm allergic to dust and cats so I guess I don't know if lettuce bothers me or not 

Sorry I ment to say what would the safflower oil do to you if allergic to ragweed

Ennis-TX Grand Master

9 hours ago, Daphne do said:

Ok so would that safflower oil be good for deep frying ? And is there any other oil I could safely use to deep fry I just want to have a cheese burger and french fries but I am only safe eating at home so I have to deep fry the French fries myself in ordered a brand new deep fryer just need oil

I use sunflower oil for deep frying, due to the hypoallergenic nature and high smoke point (just make sure it is fresh). NOW what I might suggest are also options, air fryer. They take much longer to get the job done but you can toss whatever you might be frying in a tiny bit of whatever is safe for you IE Avocado Oil, Refined Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil are the best bets. You could also have an issue with digesting fats, so light air fries could be something that could help. Personally, I only eat air fried foods, as anything too oily like that tend to float and make me sick, but I have issues with digestive enzymes breaking down food.

cyclinglady Grand Master

If you want, you can always bake fries.  I use Oreda brand.  They are labeled gluten-free.  Granted not the same as homemade, but  fast, easy and safe.  Also consider cutting/slicing and roasting potatoes in the oven.  I typically use olive oil for that.  Works for a variety of veggies.  

• 3 weeks later...
Daphne do Collaborator
On 2/24/2019 at 6:53 PM, Daphne do said:

Thank you for your reply I do like baked fries I could do that was just jealous of watching everyone have fast food lol  

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

Have you ever considered an air fryer. We bake like cycling lady or use air fryer. To crisp them for air fryer after slicing one can soak them a bit in water then pay dry before air fry helps crisp them.

Good luck no matter what you find. I try to stay with one type of oil as mixed vegetable oil they often use corn which I also can't have.

Alaskaguy Enthusiast

For making oven-roasted pototoes, I cannot recommend highly enough using chicken fat, duck fat or goose fat, for those who can find or have access to these fats.  Not only are they significantly unsaturated, being almost liquid at room temperature (unlike say lard), they are surprisingly light in texture and "feel", and overall quite healthy.  I carefully skim off and save ALL the rendered fat when I make chicken soup from organic chickens, to use in later dishes.

Another perfect fat for this kind of cooking is bear oil, rendered from pure bear fat.  I still have two or three quarts of bear oil from a bear that friends of mine killed a couple of years ago, and it is a remarkably versatile, light and tasty oil --- even lighter in texture than chicken fat.  But of course you're not going to find bear oil down at Whole Foods!

• 9 months later...
Intolerant-foodie Newbie
On 2/24/2019 at 4:48 PM, Daphne do said:

I ditched the oil completely and use an air fryer for my fries now. The come out crisp and delicious everytime with much less mess, hassle, and minimal cleanup.