19 replies to this topic

#16 CeliacAndCfsCrusader

CeliacAndCfsCrusader

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:27 PM

I am new to the "Celiac club". I am wondering does every celiac have such bad reactions to small amounts of gluten.
I am fortunate, my disease was found before much intestinal damage had occurred and I never really had bad illness with it. Although, who knows maybe my reaction just was not gastro...I do have IC.
Anyway, as I wade through all the information I just started to wonder if some Celiacs may get a small amount of gluten and not have such a strong reaction. One can always hope...
:huh:

It's been 2 1/2 years since my diagnosis. 20 years undiagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. My biopsy showed "severe" damage. I feel much better, but I doubt my intestines will ever be the same. The longer I'm off the gluten, the more sensitive I become. ANY CC will get me. Just happened at Ted's Montana Grill on Saturday, even though I ordered the most basic of meals from their gluten-free menu.

You'll learn to know your body and you'll observe each time you've been glutened and when it's something else.

BTW, for you Italians that are eating at Olive Garden....SHAME! LOL

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 tamrene

tamrene

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:38 AM

I feel your pain! Same exact thing happened to me two days ago, Houston Texas. I ate a small amount of refried beans rolled in two corn tortilla's at a Mexican Place that assured me they were safe. No wheat/flour used and no cross contamination. My face turned red straight away and I had a hot face with flu like aches all night and diarrhea. Today I am itching all over. No safe place. The people in the food industry are too ignorant about celiac to ever get it right and too busy to care. It is a social disaster to have Celiac disease and I have found people just think you are being fussy.

I would love to go out with company to regular places with out being scared to death.
The other 10 people at my table had the exact same beans with no ill effect.

I ate lunch at the Tupelo, Mississippi, Olive Garden on Tuesday for lunch. I ordered from their gluten-free menu, and immediately after eating started getting sick. I barely made it home, which is 30 minutes, from work, and I also left an hour early! I was deathly ill with flu-like symptoms all night long, high fever, chills, sweating. I missed work on Wednesday and am still not up to par today!

Anyone ever had this experience before? How long will it last? I have been soooo careful, and to have this kind of setback is discouraging :angry:

Oh, I did call the manager and let him know I had gotten sick...just so no one else will. The Outback in Tupelo is terrific!

#18 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:12 PM

It's been 2 1/2 years since my diagnosis. 20 years undiagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. My biopsy showed "severe" damage. I feel much better, but I doubt my intestines will ever be the same. The longer I'm off the gluten, the more sensitive I become. ANY CC will get me. Just happened at Ted's Montana Grill on Saturday, even though I ordered the most basic of meals from their gluten-free menu.

You'll learn to know your body and you'll observe each time you've been glutened and when it's something else.

BTW, for you Italians that are eating at Olive Garden....SHAME! LOL

I'm not really Italian. Just my married name is!

#19 Salax

Salax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:27 AM

I am Italian and refuse to eat there. The food isn't that great and I can make sauce from scratch at home with gluten-free pasta that tastes fantastic with no chance of getting sick. So to me it's worth not going there. B)

Evil food chains...LOL :lol:

Salax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free since Feb 2009,
Cow Milk &  Corn free - June 2012,
Gall Bladder Failure - Removed July 2009,
Colitis, Hashimotos Disease, & Diverticulitis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( )_( )
(='.'=)
(")_(") Eat your vegetables!

#20 Carri Ninja

Carri Ninja

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:12 PM

I ate lunch at the Tupelo, Mississippi, Olive Garden on Tuesday for lunch. I ordered from their gluten-free menu, and immediately after eating started getting sick. I barely made it home, which is 30 minutes, from work, and I also left an hour early! I was deathly ill with flu-like symptoms all night long, high fever, chills, sweating. I missed work on Wednesday and am still not up to par today!

Anyone ever had this experience before? How long will it last? I have been soooo careful, and to have this kind of setback is discouraging :angry:

Oh, I did call the manager and let him know I had gotten sick...just so no one else will. The Outback in Tupelo is terrific!

I am very sorry to hear you have had such a bad experience. I hope it isn't food poisoning, but then again being glutened is essentially food poisoning. I feel for you. Every time I get contaminated I go through the exact same thing. I will have severe flu like symptoms, run a high fever, break out with dh and eczema. My body will get rid of it any way it can. It is a terrible thing! My husband and I had planned on trying the gluten-free menu for valentines day at olive garden, but it was extremely busy. We both were very worried about contamination. We ended up eating at red robin - burgers for v-day, but as long as it is safe it is a real treat to eat out ya know. Anyways I will not be trying this now thank you for saving my the possible reaction. The last one caused hallucinations (because of fever) about a blue man eating banana on the roof. :rolleyes: we all got a bang outta that one after. It usually takes me about 5-8 days to fully recover from a cc glutening. The last time I ate a piece of bread it almost killed me (before I knew). The dr wanted to put in a pace maker right away, but I refused. At that time my organs had shut down and the dr couldn't fig out why. The best thing I can say is listen to your body, and don't worry about offending others - your health is more important! Good luck and I hope you feel btter!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: