This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Olive Garden gluten-free Menu

CecilyF

CecilyF Rookie

I ate lunch at the Tupelo, Mississippi, Olive Garden on Tuesday for lunch. I ordered from their gluten-free menu, and immediately after eating started getting sick. I barely made it home, which is 30 minutes, from work, and I also left an hour early! I was deathly ill with flu-like symptoms all night long, high fever, chills, sweating. I missed work on Wednesday and am still not up to par today!

Anyone ever had this experience before? How long will it last? I have been soooo careful, and to have this kind of setback is discouraging :angry:

Oh, I did call the manager and let him know I had gotten sick...just so no one else will. The Outback in Tupelo is terrific!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mbrookes Community Regular

I ate lunch at the Tupelo, Mississippi, Olive Garden on Tuesday for lunch. I ordered from their gluten-free menu, and immediately after eating started getting sick. I barely made it home, which is 30 minutes, from work, and I also left an hour early! I was deathly ill with flu-like symptoms all night long, high fever, chills, sweating. I missed work on Wednesday and am still not up to par today!

Anyone ever had this experience before? How long will it last? I have been soooo careful, and to have this kind of setback is discouraging :angry:

Oh, I did call the manager and let him know I had gotten sick...just so no one else will. The Outback in Tupelo is terrific!

The fever and chills sound more like food poisoning than glutening. Did any one who ate with you get sick? I could easily be very wrong, but that just doesn't sound right.

Sanson Newbie

I know that I get chills, flushed, sweating but shaking as I am cold...feels like a fever but I don't have the rise in temp.

CecilyF Rookie

So glad to hear your symptoms. I am new to this, one month, and I was deathly ill. I never threw up or anything, just ached all over with chills and sweats.

No one else got sick, but I was the only one ordering from the gluten-free menu.

Berkana18 Newbie

I am glad you recovered. I agree with the other post that it sounds more like a foodborn illness/contaminant rather than a gluten issue. You could drop a dime and let your local health dept know as well. As to these so-called "gluten free" menus, I have eaten at Outback with no ill effects and I have a local chinese restaurant which will cook special for me -- HOWEVER, if there is any gluten in a kitchen, it is darned hard to keep the gluten free dish entirely gluten free. Since my "whammies" can last for days if I ingest the wrong thing, I rarely eat out (even at private homes) unless I feel confident the food is safe for me. Good luck and happy dining!

StacyA Enthusiast

Whether it's safe or not, I haven't found the gluten-free menu at Olive Garden very appetizing. Pretty dry. And for me it's depressing seeing all the pasta dishes walking past me. I ate at Olive Garden the night before my biopsy - a going out with a bang kind of thing. A month later we went there to try the gluten-free options and afterwards I told my husband we won't ever be going back. (That used to be one of our grown-ups only have-a-babysitter-for-the-night options, since our kids don't like anything there. But not anymore...)

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

Whether it's safe or not, I haven't found the gluten-free menu at Olive Garden very appetizing. Pretty dry. And for me it's depressing seeing all the pasta dishes walking past me. I ate at Olive Garden the night before my biopsy - a going out with a bang kind of thing. A month later we went there to try the gluten-free options and afterwards I told my husband we won't ever be going back. (That used to be one of our grown-ups only have-a-babysitter-for-the-night options, since our kids don't like anything there. But not anymore...)

You could have a stomache virus, which are not always accompanied by a fever. My kids have had their share of them and so have we after being exposed to their germs, some lasting a day or two and some lasting two weeks, some with fevers, some not. Some have only vomiting, only diarrhea or some include both. Stomache viruses are very weird that way.

I'm not a fan of Olive Garden but I am Italian and totally new to all of this. The thought of not going out for Italian food or eating "regular" pasta at my family's house is just downright depressing for me. It's part of my culture! But I digress.

I find this confusing, how to know if it's a gluten reaction, a stomache virus or food poisoning. I guess sometimes you maybe just won't know.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Salax Contributor

You could have a stomache virus, which are not always accompanied by a fever. My kids have had their share of them and so have we after being exposed to their germs, some lasting a day or two and some lasting two weeks, some with fevers, some not. Some have only vomiting, only diarrhea or some include both. Stomache viruses are very weird that way.

I'm not a fan of Olive Garden but I am Italian and totally new to all of this. The thought of not going out for Italian food or eating "regular" pasta at my family's house is just downright depressing for me. It's part of my culture! But I digress.

I find this confusing, how to know if it's a gluten reaction, a stomache virus or food poisoning. I guess sometimes you maybe just won't know.

I am full blooded Italian an I feel your pain....

But in all honesty, I am use to it and it's really not that bad. Or I should say the sickness I had before being gluten-free isn't worth repeating for a piece of wheat bread or pasta... :D

CecilyF Rookie

I am full blooded Italian an I feel your pain....

But in all honesty, I am use to it and it's really not that bad. Or I should say the sickness I had before being gluten-free isn't worth repeating for a piece of wheat bread or pasta... :D

Oh, you are so right! Nothing is worth the year I lost of my life. I ordered from their gluten free menu, but it so was NOT! I am sticking to my tried and true food at home. Just wanted to warn everyone of my bad experience so they would not get sick. It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Thanks for your response :)

Juliebove Rising Star

We ate at the one in Lynnwood WA a few weeks ago. Because I am dairy allergic, the server grated cheese in the kitchen and brought it out in a dish so she wouldn't accidentally get it on my food.

No problems, but I don't have issues with wheat. Just dairy, eggs and almonds. Daughter does have a wheat allergy but didn't get sick.

• 2 weeks later...
CHARBEEGOOD Newbie

I have been working my way through the Gluten Free menus offered here in Central Florida. Olive Garden, Uno's Chicago Grill, Outback Steak House, PF Chang's(haven't tried it yet), and Chevy's all offer gluten-free menus! We also have a Fusion Pizza, Whole Foods, Chamberlain's and some hotel/entertainment chains that offer special menus or attention to guests with allergies.

I can not always order directly off the gluten-free menus as I have addition food allergies to watch out for. There for I always always ask. If they are uncertain or I get the vibe from them. I go for the standard-toss salad (no onion) olive oil and vin dressing, with a steak or grilled chicken breast no sauces!!! and steamed veggies on the side.

I am the only one in the family with the issues and the primary cook. Some days I just need a break! It is nice to know the options are there for when I want-need or desire them.

But I always keep in mind that these kitchens are not Gluten free and the staff is cooking for the masses and I am not the a part of the mass...

char

hannahp57 Contributor

I have read reviews about Olive Garden's gluten free menu from the gluten free registry website. More than one person stated in their review that tey specifically asked for gluten free pasta since it was offered there, they went over safe practices to ensure that the staff knew ohow to keep it safe from contamination. halfway through the meal the waiter(res) would come back to the table and apologize because they accidentally gave them regular pasta. i won't be eating there anytime soon. i dont trust them. there were revies from three or four different locations.

Open Original Shared Link

Wenmin Enthusiast

I have eaten Olive Garden numerous times since gluten free. I don't order from the gluten free menu though. I order the mixed grill which is skewered chicken and steak with mixed vegetables (zuchinni, squash, potatoes, onions, bell peppers) with balsamic vinegarette. It is also served with the salad. Just remind waiter to bring crutons on another plate (if you are sharing salad with others). Of course, I am very tempted by the bread, but I have never intentionally cheated, and don't ever plan to. This is the only dish that I eat at Olive Garden, so I don't go there too often (about 1 time a month). I have never gotten sick with this dish. I

Wenmin

Juliebove Rising Star

We had lunch there again today. Not so good. Asked for the croutons and dressing on the side. Waiter brought the salad and there was a crouton on it. My mom banged her hand down on the table and rolled her eyes. Said she was going to pick it out. I said, "Fine! Pick it out. We're not eating it." She and my dad were angry with me. Dad tried to get me to take some tomatoes from that salad onto my plate. I refused and was told once again that it wouldn't kill me. I will add I am not celiac but am allergic to dairy and severely allergic to eggs. The bread there has one or both in it and I have gotten sick from salads before (elsewhere) that had a crouton lurking in the middle or bottom. Daughter has a wheat allergy and gets very sick to her stomach if she ingests it.

Waiter brought us another salad. We ate it.

We sat.

And sat.

And sat.

Food finally came. It was just okay. Ours was only like...warm. Felt annoyed that I paid all that money for plain pasta and red sauce that I could have easily made at home for a lot less money. Daughter was happy though. I guess that's all that really matters.

Gluten schmuten Newbie

I am new to the "Celiac club". I am wondering does every celiac have such bad reactions to small amounts of gluten.

I am fortunate, my disease was found before much intestinal damage had occurred and I never really had bad illness with it. Although, who knows maybe my reaction just was not gastro...I do have IC.

Anyway, as I wade through all the information I just started to wonder if some Celiacs may get a small amount of gluten and not have such a strong reaction. One can always hope...

:huh:

CeliacAndCfsCrusader Apprentice

I am new to the "Celiac club". I am wondering does every celiac have such bad reactions to small amounts of gluten.

I am fortunate, my disease was found before much intestinal damage had occurred and I never really had bad illness with it. Although, who knows maybe my reaction just was not gastro...I do have IC.

Anyway, as I wade through all the information I just started to wonder if some Celiacs may get a small amount of gluten and not have such a strong reaction. One can always hope...

:huh:

It's been 2 1/2 years since my diagnosis. 20 years undiagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. My biopsy showed "severe" damage. I feel much better, but I doubt my intestines will ever be the same. The longer I'm off the gluten, the more sensitive I become. ANY CC will get me. Just happened at Ted's Montana Grill on Saturday, even though I ordered the most basic of meals from their gluten-free menu.

You'll learn to know your body and you'll observe each time you've been glutened and when it's something else.

BTW, for you Italians that are eating at Olive Garden....SHAME! LOL

tamrene Newbie

I feel your pain! Same exact thing happened to me two days ago, Houston Texas. I ate a small amount of refried beans rolled in two corn tortilla's at a Mexican Place that assured me they were safe. No wheat/flour used and no cross contamination. My face turned red straight away and I had a hot face with flu like aches all night and diarrhea. Today I am itching all over. No safe place. The people in the food industry are too ignorant about celiac to ever get it right and too busy to care. It is a social disaster to have Celiac disease and I have found people just think you are being fussy.

I would love to go out with company to regular places with out being scared to death.

The other 10 people at my table had the exact same beans with no ill effect.

Juliebove Rising Star

It's been 2 1/2 years since my diagnosis. 20 years undiagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. My biopsy showed "severe" damage. I feel much better, but I doubt my intestines will ever be the same. The longer I'm off the gluten, the more sensitive I become. ANY CC will get me. Just happened at Ted's Montana Grill on Saturday, even though I ordered the most basic of meals from their gluten-free menu.

You'll learn to know your body and you'll observe each time you've been glutened and when it's something else.

BTW, for you Italians that are eating at Olive Garden....SHAME! LOL

I'm not really Italian. Just my married name is!

Salax Contributor

I am Italian and refuse to eat there. The food isn't that great and I can make sauce from scratch at home with gluten-free pasta that tastes fantastic with no chance of getting sick. So to me it's worth not going there. B)

Evil food chains...LOL :lol:

Carri Ninja Rookie

I am very sorry to hear you have had such a bad experience. I hope it isn't food poisoning, but then again being glutened is essentially food poisoning. I feel for you. Every time I get contaminated I go through the exact same thing. I will have severe flu like symptoms, run a high fever, break out with dh and eczema. My body will get rid of it any way it can. It is a terrible thing! My husband and I had planned on trying the gluten-free menu for valentines day at olive garden, but it was extremely busy. We both were very worried about contamination. We ended up eating at red robin - burgers for v-day, but as long as it is safe it is a real treat to eat out ya know. Anyways I will not be trying this now thank you for saving my the possible reaction. The last one caused hallucinations (because of fever) about a blue man eating banana on the roof. :rolleyes: we all got a bang outta that one after. It usually takes me about 5-8 days to fully recover from a cc glutening. The last time I ate a piece of bread it almost killed me (before I knew). The dr wanted to put in a pace maker right away, but I refused. At that time my organs had shut down and the dr couldn't fig out why. The best thing I can say is listen to your body, and don't worry about offending others - your health is more important! Good luck and I hope you feel btter!!

Archived