This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Popcorn At The Movies

Diva1

Diva1 Enthusiast

I know this is probably a question asked over and over but can we eat popcorn at the movie theater....I have a feeling that I should bring my own...

anyone? :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Eric-C Enthusiast

I know this is probably a question asked over and over but can we eat popcorn at the movie theater....I have a feeling that I should bring my own...

anyone? :P

Even though I had zero reaction to soy, butter, dairy, etc...that stuff kills me.

Don't know if it has gluten but it has an immediate and profound effect :)

Mskedi Newbie

Even though I had zero reaction to soy, butter, dairy, etc...that stuff kills me.

Don't know if it has gluten but it has an immediate and profound effect :)

Same here. I react at Regal/Edwards, but not at AMC, oddly enough. I have no idea why there would be gluten in popcorn or the butter flavor, and maybe I'm reacting to something else entirely, but I won't touch it anymore.

I wonder if they would let me bring my own popcorn in if I explained the problem?

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

We take popcorn in all the time. My son actually doesn't like plain popcorn, even movie popcorn (I on the other hand could eat it every day!). So we just take a ziplock with his favorite (SmartPop White Cheese, Trader Joes Kettle Corn, Pirate's Booty, etc.). He also doesn't like pop, so I take a Propel or whatever drink he wants. I just slip it into my purse and pull it out when the lights go down. He almost always buys M&Ms and hubby and I always get drink and popcorn, so I don't feel like we're jipping the theater out of anything. He wouldn't buy the popcorn or pop anyway.

There was an article in either Gluten Free Living or Living Without recently I think that listed the theaters whose popcorn they had checked for gluten. And just FYI, I don't have Celiac, and Rave Theater popcorn with or without butter always gives me a gurgly tummy. Hubby too.

lovegrov Collaborator

I've yet in 8 years to find a theater popcorn that has gluten. That's not a guarantee to anybody, but I don't worry about theater popcorn.

richard

DownWithGluten Explorer

Not all movie popcorn is gluten free from my experience. The two theaters near me, we'd called ahead and they said they were and it was fine. I ate their popcorn and all was well. Then I went to another state, and we went to see a movie. I can't remember what the company was. I asked the people if they knew whether it was gluten free, and of course they were clueless. They showed me the ingredients on the flavoring tub which didn't mean much. I didn't see WHEAT jumping out, but we all know that's not always safe. But I thought, oh screw it, I'll just eat it, I'm sure it's fine. And it wasn't, not at all. That was the first and one of only 2 times in the past 3 years that I've had a gluten attack since going gluten free.

Now I am spurned and won't even eat it at the places that I used to safely. It's just not worth the risk at all to me. So, that's my experience.

• 2 weeks later...
Darissa Contributor

I went to our local theater and asked to talk to the Manager over the food. They were very nice and allowed me to see the box of the popcorn/oil mixture that they use. I got the information off of the box and called the company the next day. I did find out that the popcorn my local theater uses is actually gluten free. We were very thankful!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

I eat the popcorn at my local theater all the time without any problems...ask to speak to a manager so that you can look at the ingredients in the butter. If there is something in it that raises a red flag, I'm sure they would have no problem with you bringing your own!

msmini14 Enthusiast

We take popcorn in all the time. My son actually doesn't like plain popcorn, even movie popcorn (I on the other hand could eat it every day!). So we just take a ziplock with his favorite (SmartPop White Cheese, Trader Joes Kettle Corn, Pirate's Booty, etc.). He also doesn't like pop, so I take a Propel or whatever drink he wants. I just slip it into my purse and pull it out when the lights go down. He almost always buys M&Ms and hubby and I always get drink and popcorn, so I don't feel like we're jipping the theater out of anything. He wouldn't buy the popcorn or pop anyway.

There was an article in either Gluten Free Living or Living Without recently I think that listed the theaters whose popcorn they had checked for gluten. And just FYI, I don't have Celiac, and Rave Theater popcorn with or without butter always gives me a gurgly tummy. Hubby too.

Everytime my husband gets popcorn at Rave his stomach always cramps up and he doesnt even have celiac. I have tried a little bit here and there and it upset my stomach every time too. I bring my own in now and my dh still eats the popcorn lol, with his slushi!

Archived