10 replies to this topic

#1 happygirl

happygirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:16 PM

This article was in the recent Living Without magazine. Its a great resource for newly diagnosed - and all - Celiacs and others with gluten intolerance.

http://www.livingwit...r10mustdos.html

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:29 PM

This article was in the recent Living Without magazine. Its a great resource for newly diagnosed - and all - Celiacs and others with gluten intolerance.

Excellent article--thanks Happygirl ;)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 CecilyF

CecilyF

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:39 PM

After reading that article, I subscribed to the magazine! :D

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:13 PM

After reading that article, I subscribed to the magazine! :D

It's a very good magazine--I think you'll enjoy it. :D
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#5 Lynayah

Lynayah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:40 PM

Hi, Happy Girl . . . happy new year to you!

Thanks for your post. I get the mag. and had read the article, but there is a wonderful video featured on your link, too. I enjoyed watching it. Much appreciated.

PS: For those who do not subscribe to LIVING WITHOUT, it is wonderful.
Gluten Intolerant with double HLA-DQ6. Pre-diagnosis: Weight gain, swelling, diarrhea, mouth sores, back pain, body aches, fatigue, muscle weakness, BRAIN FOG, runny nose, recurrent sinus infections, bruising, low white cell count (whole life), and more. My feet were so bad, I could hardly walk. Toward the end: Chronic Vit. D deficiency (almost no D in my body despite a quality multi-vit. each day).

There is hope! Gluten-free since Sept. '09, and I have my life back - I feel better than in many, many years!

Favorite quotation: "You must do the thing you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

#6 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:33 PM

:ph34r: Uhm, what is that... scary thing that the woman is staring at in the accompanying photo ? It looks like compost on a plate.

Review of article.

Understand your disease. √
Build a Medical Team. "medical team?!" " nutritionist who specialize celiac disease ?!" uh oh, let's not go into that one as we don't have time for the saga today.
Join a support group. How about the internet as otherwise anything like this is too far away or just doesn't exist for many of us.
Check your pantry. √
Stock the basics. √ Okay, but as for using pre made mixes instead of from scratch, you have got to be kidding me.
Dust off your apron. No, WASH the apron. Wash the oven mitts. Throw out or give away some of your cookware, and buy new baking/cooking pans.
Buy a bread maker. Not unless you have all the allergies and intolerances figured out first, and even then, you may not need it. Your metabolism may not be geared for consuming high amounts of gluten free breads. Buy a 4" by 8" loaf pan.
Patronize local businesses. √ YES, with a caveat. Don't ever assume a big, name brand chain won't gluten you. A small local place, on the other hand, even without a gluten free menu, but with a smart, helpful waitstaff and chef, may be safer. If your local small grocery or health food store stocks gluten free items, praise them.
Don't settle. √ Of course our food is better. It's from scratch, and it tends to not have many additives.
Exhale. √ Yes.

#7 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:55 PM

Its a great magazine with lots of helpful, up-to-date information - I think you'll enjoy it, Cecily.

Happy New Year to you, Lynayah!

Hi Patti!!!

#8 Lynayah

Lynayah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:06 AM

:ph34r: Uhm, what is that... scary thing that the woman is staring at in the accompanying photo ? It looks like compost on a plate.

LOL! Well, if it is REAL chocolate cake and not gluten-free, it sure as heck is compost waiting to happen!
Gluten Intolerant with double HLA-DQ6. Pre-diagnosis: Weight gain, swelling, diarrhea, mouth sores, back pain, body aches, fatigue, muscle weakness, BRAIN FOG, runny nose, recurrent sinus infections, bruising, low white cell count (whole life), and more. My feet were so bad, I could hardly walk. Toward the end: Chronic Vit. D deficiency (almost no D in my body despite a quality multi-vit. each day).

There is hope! Gluten-free since Sept. '09, and I have my life back - I feel better than in many, many years!

Favorite quotation: "You must do the thing you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

#9 mysecretcurse

mysecretcurse

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:46 PM

Build a Medical Team. "medical team?!" " nutritionist who specialize celiac disease ?!" uh oh, let's not go into that one as we don't have time for the saga today.

Haha... I like your posts Takala... I read that and had the same thought... my mind just went UGH.. PLEASE. I'm iffy about the rest of that article but some of it is good. The bread maker thing is annoying to me also because like you said so many people haven't figured out what their other intolerances are after going gluten free. The article is okay but it doesn't seem to address that most of us are intolerant to a lot of stuff due to our leaky gut damage from celiac...also I've read that magazine before and it has some good stuff in it but nothing compared to these boards or the interwebs in general. I also dislike the title, LIVING WITHOUT... just sounds so damn negative. I don't feel I'm "living without" ANYTHING other than a poisonous death.. I would prefer to see it called living free or finally free or something like that. Maybe its just me. :D

#10 lynnelise

lynnelise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:07 AM

Haha... I like your posts Takala... I read that and had the same thought... my mind just went UGH.. PLEASE. I'm iffy about the rest of that article but some of it is good. The bread maker thing is annoying to me also because like you said so many people haven't figured out what their other intolerances are after going gluten free. The article is okay but it doesn't seem to address that most of us are intolerant to a lot of stuff due to our leaky gut damage from celiac...also I've read that magazine before and it has some good stuff in it but nothing compared to these boards or the interwebs in general. I also dislike the title, LIVING WITHOUT... just sounds so damn negative. I don't feel I'm "living without" ANYTHING other than a poisonous death.. I would prefer to see it called living free or finally free or something like that. Maybe its just me. :D

I definately enjoyed the article but I have always thought the title Living Without is depressing! lol!

#11 New_To_This

New_To_This

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:33 AM

Good article for someone just starting out. However it should have given a web site or something on how to locate a support group near your home. I live in the middle of no mans land and don't have a clue where to turn for a support group that isn't 2 or 3 hours away. So far this has been my support group and where I get some of my information. One other thing it missed was suggesting books like "The first year Celiac Disease and Living Gluten Free" by Jules E. Dowler Shepard It walks you through the first 7 days than next 3 weeks than monthly afterwards. I wish I had found it when we first started this, not by seeing it in a store and deciding I was going to check it out of the library first. Which gets to my next point. Do lots of research and ALWAYS check a cookbook out of the library before spending your hard earned money on a book that will only disappoint you. I am having a hard time finding a remake of my old faithful betty crocker cookbook and am finding tons of books with stuff I never ate before and my husband is say "You want me to eat what?!? to, lol! Needless to say I am fortunate enough to love to cook and resourcefull enough to find alternatives so I can alter our old favorites myself. I may even write a remake of the good old betty crocker cookbook type cookbook when I am a good long ways into altering my recipes, lol!

Best of luck to all those first starting and everyone else too. Your best resources are web sites like this one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: