This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutened?

Sanson

Sanson Newbie

I made a quinoa, veggie and tahini bowl for dinner tonight and I think I've been glutened. I'm new to gluten-free and waiting for blood work to come back. I'm on day 7 and I've been 'poisioned' twice so far...or so I think! (I've cleared out all the gluten in my house that is obvious to start) Half an hour after dinner I started getting symptoms that I equate to Gluten. Extremely tired, headache, a few hives, acidic stomach etc. The only other time I've gotten a headache like this was with another Asian product, Coconut Milk that claimed to only have one ingredient. The Tahini I have is also "100% Sesame Seeds" but is from Lebanon. I've researched Asian labelling laws and can't find anything. Anyone else experience anything similar? I was wondering if if could be MSG as well eventhough it says nothing on the label?!?!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

I don't know, it may not even be gluten. When you first go gluten free your gut is in a very fragile state and often has problems with things that would not normally be a problem. You really have to expect some unexpected reactions especially in the first couple of weeks. It could be that your digestive system did not like the quinoa--gluten free grains are often a problem to start with. Was this a full gluten reaction for you?

Mskedi Newbie

It's interesting that you mentioned coconut milk as a problem. I, too, react strongly to it though there seems to be no gluten at all (I read and reread the label). It's happened twice, both times on days where I only prepared foods in my gluten-free kitchen and used products I'm familiar with. A lot of other people develop intolerances besides gluten, so apparently gluten is my intolerance. It's no fun considering I love Tom Kha Het and it's ridiculously easy to make gluten-free. We used a Thai-brand can of coconut milk the first time and an American-brand can of it the second time, so I do think it is the coconut itself and not some false labeling. The first time was about a month into being gluten-free and the second about five or six months in. I think I'll try again in a year or so.

I haven't had any problems with Tahini, but there doesn't seem to be much logic to this at all.

Sanson Newbie

I don't know, it may not even be gluten. When you first go gluten free your gut is in a very fragile state and often has problems with things that would not normally be a problem. You really have to expect some unexpected reactions especially in the first couple of weeks. It could be that your digestive system did not like the quinoa--gluten free grains are often a problem to start with. Was this a full gluten reaction for you?

Thanks Mushroom. At this point I don't even know what my full gluten reaction would be. I have a lot of symptoms, digestively and elsewhere, some specific to eating wheat that I know of to start. I was wheat-free for years but still endured a lot of symptoms. Given that I'm not "food hungover" this morning I won't jump to conclusions whether or not it was gluten...just yet :) I do eat a varied diet and have had quinoa and other gluten-free grains for years. I'm just starting to track what I put in my mouth more closely. I do hear what you mean about 'unexpected reactions' as I seem to be all over the map this week!

Mskedi- I guess the only way to know is to try the same dish and see if it happens again? Ouch! I think it's a bit ironic that these two reactions came from over sea products. I tried the Coconut Milk twice to see if that was it and I won't be trying that again with the Tahini :) I am going to assume that this will all take a while to get to know what I react to and what I don't. I did have casein allergies as a child (that I'm not convinced I grew out of) and I avoid popcorn like the plague. So far so good I'd say.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Sanson,

Remember about cross contamination. Wood, plastic and coated pans that have contained gluten items can make you sick. Sometimes cutting out dairy and soy for a few months can help.

Sanson Newbie

Sanson,

Remember about cross contamination. Wood, plastic and coated pans that have contained gluten items can make you sick. Sometimes cutting out dairy and soy for a few months can help.

I'm always surprised to learn that such small amounts could have such a huge effect. By what I've been reading I realize that it can! I'm waiting for blood work to come back as it would be 'nice' to have confirmation re celiac so I know what to look out for. Not necessary as I realize my symtoms will be the best Doctor. Thanks Ahorsesoul :)

Archived