Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Finally Managed To Get Pregnant By Going Gluten Free, But Want To Go Back To A 'Normal Diet'

• Please log in to reply

9 replies to this topic

#1 Louloulouisa

Louloulouisa

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:06 AM

Hi Everyone

I'm new, and from the UK.

I finally got pregnant after 6 miscarriages, by going gluten free (and other medical treatment) I am now 26 weeks pregnant.

After 2 years of trying and having recurrent miscarriages, I found a book by Alan Beer, "Is your body baby friendly" I basically found out my immune system was over active and attacked everything, including my poor little babes.

I had raised antithyroid antibodies (444) normal range should be below 50. (I also had raised natural killer cells, raised tumor nucrosis factor & blood clotting issues.)

I researched and found out that a gluten free diet can reduce antithyroid antibodies, plus I took Selenium. In 4 months, my antithyroid antibodies had reduced from 444 to 214.

I had some IVIG, and had them tested again 4 months later, and they were 22 :)

Now I am 26 weeks pregnant, and because of all the complications, I am at risk of an early baby.

My question is, After I have the baby, I want to go back to a 'normal diet' But is this Ok? will my antithyroid antibodies go back up, and does that present any medical problems for me?

can I go straight back to a 'normal diet'? or is it better to wean off of it?

(By the way, I tested negative for celiac)

Thank you so much

Lou xxx

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,766 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:41 AM

Hi Everyone

I'm new, and from the UK.

I finally got pregnant after 6 miscarriages, by going gluten free (and other medical treatment) I am now 26 weeks pregnant.

After 2 years of trying and having recurrent miscarriages, I found a book by Alan Beer, "Is your body baby friendly" I basically found out my immune system was over active and attacked everything, including my poor little babes.

I had raised antithyroid antibodies (444) normal range should be below 50. (I also had raised natural killer cells, raised tumor nucrosis factor & blood clotting issues.)

I researched and found out that a gluten free diet can reduce antithyroid antibodies, plus I took Selenium. In 4 months, my antithyroid antibodies had reduced from 444 to 214.

I had some IVIG, and had them tested again 4 months later, and they were 22 :)

Now I am 26 weeks pregnant, and because of all the complications, I am at risk of an early baby.

My question is, After I have the baby, I want to go back to a 'normal diet' But is this Ok? will my antithyroid antibodies go back up, and does that present any medical problems for me?

can I go straight back to a 'normal diet'? or is it better to wean off of it?

(By the way, I tested negative for celiac)

Thank you so much

Lou xxx

Hi Lou,
Congratulations on the pregnancy, I hope all goes well. I would NOT drop the diet after you have the baby. I think it is pretty clear that your body is reacting adversely to gluten. Look at all that has gotten better gluten free. To go back to gluten is to risk losing your thyroid and developing other issues. Please stay gluten free, your baby will need you as healthy as possible.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 Louloulouisa

Louloulouisa

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:54 AM

Hi Lou,
Congratulations on the pregnancy, I hope all goes well. I would NOT drop the diet after you have the baby. I think it is pretty clear that your body is reacting adversely to gluten. Look at all that has gotten better gluten free. To go back to gluten is to risk losing your thyroid and developing other issues. Please stay gluten free, your baby will need you as healthy as possible.

Hi ravenwoodglass

Thanks for your reply

how about if i was to try to go back to a 'normal diet' for a short while, then get tested, if my results show a problem, i could stay gluten free?

Lou x

#4 runningcrazy

runningcrazy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:08 AM

Hi ravenwoodglass

Thanks for your reply

how about if i was to try to go back to a 'normal diet' for a short while, then get tested, if my results show a problem, i could stay gluten free?

Lou x

I just wanted to say that I had pretty bad symptoms before I went gluten free. I was tested through the blood test, which im assuming you had too, three different times, all coming back negative.
I then tested through enterolab, an online ordered stool and gene testing kit, and my results came back positive. Enterolab cant say you have celiac or not, but it can tell you if you are reacting to gluten.
Ive been gluten free 5 months now and every single thing that was wrong before is better now. Even with all my tests through my doctors being negative.

I am just worried because if you go back to a normal diet, things may go wrong again. What if you want another baby? You might be silent celiac, meaning you dont FEEL any symptoms, but still, you are being damaged inside.
'You can't start building a better tomorrow if you wait until tomorrow to start building'

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,766 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:09 AM

Hi ravenwoodglass

Thanks for your reply

Lou x

The problem is that there are false negatives with testing. You were already tested and showed up negative so I can't say if you would ever show positive or not. It is also not uncommon for us to have our celiac symptoms become worse after a stressor like childbirth. In fact giving birth is a trigger for some women. The choice is yours but personally I wouldn't go back to gluten. If you do though you should make sure that you are eating it for at least 3 months before you get tested.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:43 AM

I can only agree with ravenwoodglass. If you had to do so much to make yourself able to have a child, why go back to eating what put in that place to begin with? Some people never experience true 'celiac' symptoms, but discover problems as you did, when their thyroid is being attacked, or something else horrible is happening.

I am another one who tested negative on the celiac panel. But I can tell you, I cannot eat gluten at all. My doctor and I truly believe I have celiac, but I'm just not willing to go through a challenge for testing purposes. In fact, he told me that I would probably never test positive on a blood test.
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

#7 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:06 AM

NO, do not go back to your "regular" diet unless it is gluten free. You have already been shown how badly gluten destroys your body. You really want to be as healthy as you can be for your child/children.
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

#8 Louloulouisa

Louloulouisa

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:57 AM

Hi Maceroni, ravenwoodglass, lizard00 and Ahorsesoul

Thanks for your replies.

I didn't seem to have any of the symptoms of celiac, no bloating, cramps etc etc. Thanks for the info on Enterolab Maceroni.

my thryoid homone level is 1.69

I definately won't be having any more children, I have 2 already, and it was just a third child we had trouble having. Plus I can't have anymore, as the treatment for this baby was over 10,000!

I think I go back to a 'normal diet' for 3 months (as ravenwoodglass suggested) and retest, and make my decision from there.

Thank you all so very much for all your help.

Lou xxx

#9 Cvrcek

Cvrcek

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:57 PM

Hi Maceroni, ravenwoodglass, lizard00 and Ahorsesoul

Thanks for your replies.

I didn't seem to have any of the symptoms of celiac, no bloating, cramps etc etc. Thanks for the info on Enterolab Maceroni.

my thryoid homone level is 1.69

I definately won't be having any more children, I have 2 already, and it was just a third child we had trouble having. Plus I can't have anymore, as the treatment for this baby was over 10,000!

I think I go back to a 'normal diet' for 3 months (as ravenwoodglass suggested) and retest, and make my decision from there.

Thank you all so very much for all your help.

Lou xxx

Hi Lou,

I believe I am a silent celiac, not having obvious symptoms most of the time apart from recently yet those were very mild compared to others. All symptoms I had seemed to be associated with my pregnancy and I could have easily never tried to seek further tests. My blood tests were positive though. I have done some research into how much damage gluten can do to my body and it is pretty scary. The diet may seem inconvenient to start with and I am myself only at the beginning of it, but it seems very managable and I actually feel already positive about how healthy it is. I feel sorry fir myself when I think I may never eat some of my favourite food or meals again and that is the hard bit I guess but there are good alternatives and adjustments one can make to recepies and menus that I hope in some time one wouldn't be bother about it. I think it's worth it to change ones lifestyle if it can offer you much better health in general. I always wanted to do that but never had the motivation now it feels this wake up call gives me the opportunity to treat my body well. I hope you find the strength to stay on the diet or at least find answers to how to keep your other symptoms or problems under control. Best of luck with your pregnancy

#10 Louloulouisa

Louloulouisa

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:56 AM

Hi Cvrcek

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. best of luck to you too :D

Lou xxx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users