23 replies to this topic

#1 amyfeistel

amyfeistel

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 05:54 AM

Several months ago, I decided to cut caffeine from my diet. Since decaf coffees usually taste terrible, I decided that my "reward" would be to consume some really lovely whole-bean decaf coffee. I've enjoyed this option up until the past few weeks.

Over the past 5 weeks, I've had repeated un-explainable bouts of diahrrea. I've been going crazy trying to pin-point the culprit. (I'm incredibly careful about my diet.) For the past 4 days, I have not consumed any of my coffee. I was feeling sick and was drinking a gluten-free herbal tea. I also did not have any diahrrea.

This morning, I woke up and made a cup of coffee. 30 min. later, at the office, I'm sick again.

Is it possible for decaf whole-bean coffee to contain gluten? If so, are there any gluten-free options that taste good?
Gluten-Free in NC

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 06:12 AM

All of the folgers brand of coffee is gluten free. All the coffee companies I have checked have been fine.
Anything can contain gluten so you really should call if you are unsure about it before consuming it.
If that is gluten free maybe your body just doesn't like coffee. Or maybe there is another culprit.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 07:13 AM

Never heard of a whole bean coffee, decaf or otherwise, with gluten. In fact, I've never geard of any plain coffee, decaf or otherwise, with gluten. It's possible something about the decaffenating process for that particular brand disagrees with you.

richard

#4 amyfeistel

amyfeistel

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 07:36 AM

Richard,
Thanks.

I think I found the culprit: my yogurt. I also did not have yogurt until today (typical work-day breakfast fare of yogurt and coffee). I eat Stonyfield Farm yogurt. I emailed them. Their flavored yogurts may contain trace amounts of gluten because a grain
alcohol is used to extract flavors from spices for the "natural flavors." Only the plain yogurt is gluten-free.

I'm going to test this by still drinking the coffee and changing the yogurt. Wish me luck.
-Amy
Gluten-Free in NC

#5 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 09:45 AM

Good luck. However, the alcohol in the yogurt is distilled and therefore should be gluten-free.

richard

#6 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 10:29 AM

Amy, have you investigated if you have a problem with dairy? If it's a dairy protein issue, yogurt would be just as bad as any other type of dairy.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#7 calico jo

calico jo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 12:07 PM

I had contacted Stoneyfield Farms a while back also and was told that though they use grain for the flavoring it is distilled, just like with hard liquor, so the gluten should be removed. However, I had found that I was getting ill and pin pointed that as my culprit. I still buy Stoneyfield Farms, but I buy the Fat Free French Vanilla (or Fat free regular vanilla) and mix in my own fruit. I've been fine with that, and eat it almost every morning. It's probably better for you with fresh or frozen fruit anyway.

I'd heard that some coffees could contain gluten (Starbucks makes me violently ill) and that it had something to do with the processing of the beans. I can't recall now where I got that info, but I always stick to Maxwell House.

#8 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:45 PM

<_< mamy flavored coffees contain gluten--i got very sick from hazelnut coffee--i dont like flavored coffees and i didnt buy it--it had been made in the wrong pot--i only drink regular coffee--if it says 100% coffee, it should be fine--watch for additional ingredients---deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#9 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 04:55 AM

If Starbucks makes you ill it's something other than gluten. Only one Starbucks drink has gluten, and that's because brownies are added when it's mixed.

Regular unflavored coffee is always gluten-free. Flavored coffee is almost always gluten-free.

richard

#10 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:25 AM

Yep it would be something other then gluten with Starbucks. They assured me all of their drinks except 1 frappaccino is gluten free. I drink coffee there with no problems.. I was so happy last year when I found out I could still have Starbucks
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#11 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:36 AM

Except for the cleaning tip to use a piece of bread to clean a coffee bean grinder. It absorbs the oils that go rancid. Vinegar is used to clean coffee makers too. In my opinion eating out is always a concern for cross contamination.

Laura
Michigan

#12 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 10:47 AM

Unless it's malt vinegar you needn't worry. Never heard of a commercial place (or any other place) using bread to clean a grinder. If they did, they'd be fools not to clean the bread out. Few people want bread crumbs in their coffee.

richard

#13 watkinson

watkinson

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 11:49 AM

Hi Amy

I, as well contacted Stoneyfield. Yes, their flavored yogurts contain flavorings made from grain alchohol.. However the alchohol is distilled and the gluten protein should not get through. Even if you are dairy sensitive, you probably would be able to tollerate yogurt because of the digestive enzymes that are in it.

Yes it's true that many coffees are not gluten-free, especially flavored and decaffeinated.
one of the ways to decaffienate coffee is to use ehtyl acetate, (a compound also used to make laquers and paint removers). It can have gluten in it. Maybe your coffee has that ingredient. <_< Best way to know is to contact the company.

Good luck,
Wendy

#14 watkinson

watkinson

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 11:51 AM

Sorry,
I spelled it wrong, it's Ethyl Acetate.

Wendy

#15 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 12:15 PM

I suggested dairy sensitivity because - if the sensitivity is to the protein - yogurt is no better than any other dairy. Yogurt may have less lactose (the sugar), but some people are sensitive to the protein.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: