#1 amyfeistel

amyfeistel

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 05:57 AM

Here's a quote I found on this website: http://www.soycoffee.com/gluten.php

" Another surprise hidden gluten is citric acid. When citric acid is made in the United States, it is made from sugar cane, sugar beets or corn; however, when it is produced in China, it may be made from wheat. "

Anyone else heard of this?

AUGH... I didn't realize that maltodextrin production isn't regulated either.... Now I have to scour my kitchen for more gluten. Ugh.
Gluten-Free in NC

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 07:28 AM

IF citric acid indeed comes from wheat sometimes it is so rare that most consider it no threat at all. It is on the safe list at this very site (celiac.com). I'm not exactly sure what that site means about maltodextrin not being regulated, but I do know that it's not true that it MUST be made from corn. What IS true is that when it's made from wheat, the law requires that it say so. So maltodextrin in the U.S. is safe as long as it doesn't say wheat.

richard

#3 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 07:37 AM

I have also read about citric acid possibly containing wheat if made in another country. I have my own problems with citric acid - I think I'm sensitive to aspergillis which is the mold that citric acid is made from (with sugar) for the most part - most citric acid is not made from citrus or other fruits, it is too costly that way. Aspergillis is also used to ferment soy sauce (tamari/wheat free or not), miso, an ingredient in Lactaid, and used in some cholesterol lowering statins (for the curious).

I am most aware of my sensitivity to citric acid when I have salads or veggies washed in the newer "natural" veggie washes - they have citric acid in them. I will get an instant stomach bloating feeling that gets worse and lasts for several hours, plus a headache/migraine. Usually goes away within 6 hours or by the next morning. I have minor glutening symptoms with all the other foods listed above (though I haven't taken the statin - my dad did and he developed a severe allergic reaction so I'll steer clear in case it's a genetic thing).

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#4 kennedymoore

kennedymoore

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 12:01 PM

Just my opinion... something else we should consider about citric acid and maltodexrin is that often they are derived from gmo-corn. I would contact the manufacturer when you see it included in a product to make sure the source is a non-gmo source. That is if you can tolerate corn.

#5 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,107 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 12:14 PM

Just my opinion... something else we should consider about citric acid and maltodexrin is that often they are derived from gmo-corn. I would contact the manufacturer when you see it included in a product to make sure the source is a non-gmo source. That is if you can tolerate corn.

Please note: this is a very old thread. Info in these posts could be out dated. Original posters likely are not still on this forum.

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:33 PM

Good golly, folks, do NOT bring back 6-year-old threads. Start a new one. Citric acid and maltodextrin have been considered safe for years now.

richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: