This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cheese Slices

Diva1

Diva1 Enthusiast

I have kraft single slices and although the kraft site says is it absoluttly safe to eat them Gluetn free..well i'm up with sore belly that feels like gluten..anyone out there have similar experience..maybe its the lactose in the cheese..i do well will hard cheeses?????

thanks for listening.

DIva :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

You very well may have an issue with lactose, Kraft singles are for sure gluten-free. What else did you eat that day and also look at what you have eaten over the last 3 days to see if gluten sneaked in. Sometimes the gluten reaction can be delayed which can make it hard to figure out what got us. I hope your feeling better soon.

I also have to mention that I really like your avatar. I had a Westie for a few years that we got at a shelter. He was a wonderful big dog in a little dog body who would even open his own Christmas presents. He would sit patiently tail wagging until he had his given to him. Thanks for the warm memory.

• 6 years later...
Rkbrown Newbie
On 1/13/2010 at 11:10 PM, Diva1 said:

I have kraft single slices and although the kraft site says is it absoluttly safe to eat them Gluetn free..well i'm up with sore belly that feels like gluten..anyone out there have similar experience..maybe its the lactose in the cheese..i do well will hard cheeses?????

thanks for listening.

We are NEW  to this lifestyle. Our 17 year old continues to get sick. We are learning when she is gluten free she does better.  Today,  she ate kraft slice cheese and is showing gluten reactions. Just trying to figure this all out 

kareng Grand Master
1 minute ago, Rkbrown said:

We are NEW  to this lifestyle. Our 17 year old continues to get sick. We are learning when she is gluten free she does better.  Today,  she ate kraft slice cheese and is showing gluten reactions. Just trying to figure this all out 

Never had an issue with Kraft cheeses.  Maybe she shouldn't eat diary for a while?  Celiac disease damages the part of the intestines that digest the lactose in cheese/dairy.  It can take several months to get that ability back.

Also, when you are  new, it really could be anything.  It could just be that she isn't  digesting much of anything well.  It could be another food you are eating with the cheese or 2 hours before the cheese.  There is a learning curve to eating and preparing food gluten free.  

Edited by kareng
Fourpeople Newbie

Great answer from Kareng.  Eat safely and unprocessed for about a month or so and add processed or dairy food items one at a time.   I was fortunate, my children do not have any Celiac symptoms.  I'm sure it's hard on a teenager.

Also, please take note on dates of threads.  This one if fairly generic, but other posts from 2010 may have out of date information.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
8 hours ago, Rkbrown said:

We are NEW  to this lifestyle. Our 17 year old continues to get sick. We are learning when she is gluten free she does better. 

If you haven't had her tested yet please do not go gluten free. Get the celiac testing first as if she does feel better gluten free when she has to go back on gluten for testing she may have much worse symptoms.  There will also be a higher risk of false negatives.

• 9 months later...
Marlee1974 Newbie

Kraft singles have whey protein which may not be gluten free

Edited by Marlee1974
Wrong ingredient

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Whey is derived from milk, and is gluten-free. It is casein, i.e. dairy protein.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

With celiacs due to damage to the villi many develop issues with lactose and some have issues with whey and casein (Then enzymes to break them down are created by the villi) . These can cause bloating, diarrhea, constipation, or general distress to your digestive system if you have issues with them (I also have my autism flare up with dairy).  If you find you have issues with dairy remove them. We normally suggest removing dairy for a few months then trying again if you wish after some healing. In the mean time Daiya makes some nice slices, bricks, and the shreds work in cooking. Follow your heart also makes some dairy free options. I personally prefer lisanatti shreds but they do contain casein (my issues are lactose intolerance and allergic to whey) which does not bother me. So delicious makes coconut yogurt, kite hill makes almond yogurt and soft cheeses from almonds, silk has some options also. And there is always nut based milks, and flax milk. Sam with icecreams from so delicious, no moo, coconut bliss, and my personal favorite freeo of dairy and sugars looks up winkfrozendeserts.

kareng Grand Master

"Kraft singles have whey protein which may not be gluten free"

I suppose a protein powder made with whey, could, maybe, not be gluten-free (it would clearly list wheat or barley).  But in cheese, it is just referring to a part of milk.

• 1 year later...
Lynnell Newbie

Do anyone know if Boar head product at Kroger market is gluten free &  Borden cheese is gluten free and some Sara Lee products are gluten free  please help me out I'm not sure

notme Experienced

this is a very old thread, so it may contain very old information.

yes, boar's head is gluten free.   I think alllllllll of their products are gluten-free.  sara lee baked products?   I would say noooooooo way, but, ya know, read ya label.  borden cheese:  read your label.  most cheese is gluten-free, even the pre-shredded.  no, the cellulose powder they put in it to make it not stick is not flour.  unless it says so in the ingredients.  if you are new to the diet, try to stick to unprocessed foods until your guts settle down.   I usually go with products that contain the least amount of ingredients.  the stuff that has a list of gobbledygook bunch of ingredients chemicals etc no thanks.  but that is me.

people:  always, always read your labels!!!!  watch out for barley malt, in the us, because it's not one of the ingredients that are required to have warnings on the label as in "contains:  wheat"

kareng Grand Master
1 hour ago, notme! said:

this is a very old thread, so it may contain very old information.

yes, boar's head is gluten free.   I think alllllllll of their products are gluten-free.  sara lee baked products?   I would say noooooooo way, but, ya know, read ya label.  borden cheese:  read your label.  most cheese is gluten-free, even the pre-shredded.  no, the cellulose powder they put in it to make it not stick is not flour.  unless it says so in the ingredients.  if you are new to the diet, try to stick to unprocessed foods until your guts settle down.   I usually go with products that contain the least amount of ingredients.  the stuff that has a list of gobbledygook bunch of ingredients chemicals etc no thanks.  but that is me.

people:  always, always read your labels!!!!  watch out for barley malt, in the us, because it's not one of the ingredients that are required to have warnings on the label as in "contains:  wheat"

But it will list barley malt as an ingredient. ( I know you know that but maybe a newbie won’t.  

The only cheese I have seen with gluten are the ones that are made with beer.  

Not sure if Sara Lee makes gluten-free products?  If they do- they will likely proudly proclaim it on The packaging and charge 40% more for it than their regular pastry.  

Edited by kareng
kareng Grand Master

Had to google “ Sara Lee gluten-free”.  They make cold cuts!  Those should all be gluten-free & it looks like they say they are.

Edited by kareng
  • 9 months later...
cbrehm Newbie
On 1/13/2010 at 11:10 PM, Diva1 said:

thanks for listening.

They bothered me, too. Not ? confident about the modified food starch. I can’t figure out if the FDA guidelines of listing wheat (known allergen) is mandatory on processed cheese. It’s so much to try to sort through. I will be avoiding processed cheese from now on either way. However, does anyone know for certain? Thanks!

cyclinglady Grand Master
1 hour ago, cbrehm said:

They bothered me, too. Not ? confident about the modified food starch. I can’t figure out if the FDA guidelines of listing wheat (known allergen) is mandatory on processed cheese. It’s so much to try to sort through. I will be avoiding processed cheese from now on either way. However, does anyone know for certain? Thanks!

Some celiacs are lactose intolerant due to villi damage (villi tips release enzymes to digest lactose).   A huge chunk of the world’s population are lactose intolerant due to genetics.  If lucky, a healed celiac  can tolerate lactose.  I was lactose intolerant.  Now healed, I can consume dairy.  

To experiment, try hard cheeses or yogurt.  Kraft cheese slices are not really cheese, just a cheese product (aka “fake food”).  You could have intolerances to any those ingredients.  Kraft can not even call it cheese!