3 replies to this topic

#1 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:45 PM

So, there was an article in our newspaper about Red Lobster's new menu.

I called them up and asked if they now had a gluten-free menu. The server who answered said, no, they didn't, but that they might be able to come up with something.

I asked to speak to the manager, explaining that I didn't want to drag my large family there only to find out that the only thing they could give me was a piece of unseasoned fish and a plain microwaved potato, which is what happened last time I was there.

So the manager came on the phone, and told me that they did not have a gluten-free menu because they didn't want to be responsible if someone had a reaction, but that if I wanted to find out which foods they have that do not contain gluten, I could call 1-800-LOBSTER.

I kid you not.

Needless to say, we didn't eat there.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MindytheOrganist

MindytheOrganist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:58 PM

Sorry about your bad experience. We ate there once and they were pretty good about it. Celiac husband had grilled, plain fish with a baked potatato, along with a salad (no croutons, of course). I always bring along gluten-free ranch dressing, margarine, and bacon bits so he used them to spice up the fish a bit. They even added a side of fresh pineapple from the bar.

The same sort of thing happened to us at Applebees. They gave him a card with a 1-800 number, so he called, and after waiting quite a while, they told him Applebees had no gluten-free offerings. We were about to leave when the manager stopped by and helped us craft a gluten free meal for him. That was OK, but we don't go to Applebees anymore anyway - the food is just not that great.

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:51 PM

Red Lobster and Applwbee's -- two places I would never go because of their cluelessness. And I used to love RL, but never Applebee's

richard

#4 DownWithGluten

DownWithGluten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 07:32 PM

Red Lobster and Applwbee's -- two places I would never go because of their cluelessness. And I used to love RL, but never Applebee's

richard

Haha I agree with everything you said in there, verbatim.
Gluten-free since January, 2007

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: