20 replies to this topic

#1 fortworthmom

fortworthmom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:28 AM

I am having a terrible time getting Costco to give me a list of Kirkland brand products that are gluten-free!! I love Costco, but they are being very difficult. They will only tell me by specific product, they won't provide a list. i am almost ready to dump my membership!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:04 PM

I am having a terrible time getting Costco to give me a list of Kirkland brand products that are gluten-free!! I love Costco, but they are being very difficult. They will only tell me by specific product, they won't provide a list. i am almost ready to dump my membership!!

I don't think Costco keeps a gluten-free list. Most Kirkland products are just rebranded mainstream products so you'd have to know if the name brand is gluten-free. For example, Kirkland bacon is Hormel and gluten-free. If you have questions about specific products let us know and we can likely help you out.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#3 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:10 PM

extra lean sliced ham(rectangular ziplock packaging), canned chicken, canned albacore tuna, frozen turkey burgers are all gluten-free
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#4 Dada2hapas

Dada2hapas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:24 PM

I agree with the previous posters. Costco doesn't mfr them, and the product's ingredients can change, so it may be difficult to keep an updated gluten-free master list. Also, what they stock varies with store location and with time. My wife always tells me "if you see something at costco you want, just buy it as it may not be there next week."
-Dada

#5 Lynayah

Lynayah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 02:12 PM

When I spoke with our local COSTCO, they explained that it is impossible to have a list since manufacturers and ingredients change so frequently. That makes sense to me.

I was particularly interested to see if the Kirkland brand of spices is gluten free, but they were unable to help me, alas.

However, there are a number of products in the store that say gluten-free on the label. In my area, Kirkland (made by Mission) tortilla chips are one, as are the hot, roasted chickens. For the chicken, it says gluten-free on the display sign above the shelves that house the chicken.

Maybe others here will post their favorite COSTCO (Kirkland or otherwise) gluten-free products? Come on, everyone, list what you love!

More from me:

Thick Sliced Bacon (not Kirkland - I do not remember the name of the manufacturer - I will check)

Chobani Greek Fat-Free Yogurt (fruited, low sugar)

Many of the Kirkland Vitamins are labeled gluten-free

Lara Bars

I will post more as I think of them.
Gluten Intolerant with double HLA-DQ6. Pre-diagnosis: Weight gain, swelling, diarrhea, mouth sores, back pain, body aches, fatigue, muscle weakness, BRAIN FOG, runny nose, recurrent sinus infections, bruising, low white cell count (whole life), and more. My feet were so bad, I could hardly walk. Toward the end: Chronic Vit. D deficiency (almost no D in my body despite a quality multi-vit. each day).

There is hope! Gluten-free since Sept. '09, and I have my life back - I feel better than in many, many years!

Favorite quotation: "You must do the thing you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

#6 Coleslawcat

Coleslawcat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:24 PM

When I spoke with our local COSTCO, they explained that it is impossible to have a list since manufacturers and ingredients change so frequently. That makes sense to me.

I was particularly interested to see if the Kirkland brand of spices is gluten free, but they were unable to help me, alas.

However, there are a number of products in the store that say gluten-free on the label. In my area, Kirkland (made by Mission) tortilla chips are one, as are the hot, roasted chickens. For the chicken, it says gluten-free on the display sign above the shelves that house the chicken.

Maybe others here will post their favorite COSTCO (Kirkland or otherwise) gluten-free products? Come on, everyone, list what you love!

More from me:

Thick Sliced Bacon (not Kirkland - I do not remember the name of the manufacturer - I will check)

Chobani Greek Fat-Free Yogurt (fruited, low sugar)

Many of the Kirkland Vitamins are labeled gluten-free

Lara Bars

I will post more as I think of them.

I want to know about the Kirkland minced onion and garlic powder. The containers don't list ingredients at all. That leads me to believe the only ingredients are onion and garlic, but I'm not positive.

I love Costco in general and buy a lot of my food there including

The 10lb bag of Tyson's boneless skinless chicken breasts
Hummus
Kirkland tortilla chips
Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Flour
Bob's Red Mill Quinoa
Big bags of rice
there's a ton more, but that's what I can think of off hand.

#7 Lynayah

Lynayah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:14 PM

I want to know about the Kirkland minced onion and garlic powder. The containers don't list ingredients at all. That leads me to believe the only ingredients are onion and garlic, but I'm not positive.

I love Costco in general and buy a lot of my food there including

The 10lb bag of Tyson's boneless skinless chicken breasts
Hummus
Kirkland tortilla chips
Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Flour
Bob's Red Mill Quinoa
Big bags of rice
there's a ton more, but that's what I can think of off hand.

Minced onion and garlic powder: I wasn't able to get an answer on anything in the spice section. I've purchased minced onion from other sources and have had reactions, even though the packaging didn't list any allergy warnings. I've been sticking to McCormack for both, just to be on the safe side.

How I hope labeling laws continue to get more informative -- we've made progress, just not all the way, yet.
Gluten Intolerant with double HLA-DQ6. Pre-diagnosis: Weight gain, swelling, diarrhea, mouth sores, back pain, body aches, fatigue, muscle weakness, BRAIN FOG, runny nose, recurrent sinus infections, bruising, low white cell count (whole life), and more. My feet were so bad, I could hardly walk. Toward the end: Chronic Vit. D deficiency (almost no D in my body despite a quality multi-vit. each day).

There is hope! Gluten-free since Sept. '09, and I have my life back - I feel better than in many, many years!

Favorite quotation: "You must do the thing you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

#8 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:12 AM

I am pretty sure the spices are McCormick. I use the garlic powder and ground pepper without issue. Not sure about the minced onions.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#9 Lynayah

Lynayah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:20 PM

I am pretty sure the spices are McCormick. I use the garlic powder and ground pepper without issue. Not sure about the minced onions.

Some actually carry the McCormick label, at least at the COSTCO by me. Do you know if the Kirkland brand is also made by McCormick? That would be wonderful!

#10 laerhk

laerhk

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:22 AM

Anyone drinking Kirkland coffee?  Is it gluten-free too or is there cc issues?  I'm glad it's summer so I can brew my black tea while I wait for an answer! ;)

#11 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:24 AM

For the chicken, it says gluten-free on the display sign above the shelves that house the chicken.

Wait?  Are you talking about the rotisserie chicken?  That would be such good news.  My husband usually does the Costco runs, and I've been wondering about that!

#12 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,531 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:56 AM

Wait?  Are you talking about the rotisserie chicken?  That would be such good news.  My husband usually does the Costco runs, and I've been wondering about that!

That post was 3 years ago but I think the rotisserie chicken is still gluten-free

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#13 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

That post was 3 years ago but I think the rotisserie chicken is still gluten-free

It was a week ago!

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#14 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,531 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

It was a week ago!

You mean the chicken was gluten-free a week ago!  Psilly me! I thought you said the post was and I kept looking and looking....  :D

I have been meaning to get that chicken.  It would be sooo good in recipes, I'm thinking.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#15 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

You mean the chicken was gluten-free a week ago!  Psilly me! I thought you said the post was and I kept looking and looking....  :D

I have been meaning to get that chicken.  It would be sooo good in recipes, I'm thinking.

Hey, I had just rolled out of bed and was doing my early morning bleary eyed roll by. I didn't stop to think that I could be misunderstood. Yes, the chicken was gluten free a week ago. It is great. You can just have chicken for dinner by throwing together a few quick sides and then you can pick off the easy to get rest of it for chicken salad or something. Then... throw the rest in a pot and you have chicken soup! Of course, we're only feeding 2 with a single chicken. With teens in the house you'll be lucky to find a bone left if you just set it on the table for dinner. :lol:

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: