7 replies to this topic

#1 Myooshka

Myooshka

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 03:44 PM

Hi our son tested negative to the home test they sell here in Canada but now his poor little feet are cramping. Is this common in Celiac children? We are taking him for blood work through the doctor. I have heard from this forum test results in children are not that accurate so we will try him on gluten free either way. What causes foot cramping in Celiac?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mtndog

Mtndog

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 03:52 PM

I don't know if it's common but I do know that muscle cramping can be related to lack of magnesium. If your child isn't absorbing nutrients, that could be the problem.
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.
Albert Careb

Posted Image

#3 Lynayah

Lynayah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:26 PM

Hi our son tested negative to the home test they sell here in Canada but now his poor little feet are cramping. Is this common in Celiac children? We are taking him for blood work through the doctor. I have heard from this forum test results in children are not that accurate so we will try him on gluten free either way. What causes foot cramping in Celiac?

I don't know if this will help, but as an adult -- probably at the onset of gluten-intolerance -- I had horrible food cramping, which only got worse over time.

Tests: Make sure Doctor looks for gliadin as well as celiac. A high gliadin level shows gluten-intolerance, which can be positive even if the "celiac test" comes back negative.
Gluten Intolerant with double HLA-DQ6. Pre-diagnosis: Weight gain, swelling, diarrhea, mouth sores, back pain, body aches, fatigue, muscle weakness, BRAIN FOG, runny nose, recurrent sinus infections, bruising, low white cell count (whole life), and more. My feet were so bad, I could hardly walk. Toward the end: Chronic Vit. D deficiency (almost no D in my body despite a quality multi-vit. each day).

There is hope! Gluten-free since Sept. '09, and I have my life back - I feel better than in many, many years!

Favorite quotation: "You must do the thing you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

#4 Myooshka

Myooshka

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:58 AM

I don't know if this will help, but as an adult -- probably at the onset of gluten-intolerance -- I had horrible food cramping, which only got worse over time.

Tests: Make sure Doctor looks for gliadin as well as celiac. A high gliadin level shows gluten-intolerance, which can be positive even if the "celiac test" comes back negative.

Yes that helps a lot. Thanks! Did you have Celiac symptoms? This test can be preformed by family doctor?

#5 Mtndog

Mtndog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:36 AM

The bloodwork could be performed by your pediatrician. My niece has had the bloodwork. Make sure to have it done before removing gluten from her diet because that would cause a false negative.
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.
Albert Careb

Posted Image

#6 Myooshka

Myooshka

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:33 PM

Yes that helps a lot. Thanks! Did you have Celiac symptoms? This test can be preformed by family doctor?

Among other she is being tested for IgA, IgM, Igg(Quant) and ATTG-anti transglutimate IgA. Is it one of these tests that tests for gliadin? Thanks

#7 MarcieG

MarcieG

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:05 PM

My son starting having leg and foot cramps first when he was 2 years old. We thought it was growing pains for a long time and he practically lived on Ibprophen. He started getting the stomach pains and real bad symptoms when he was 5. He is 6 now and has just been diagnoised with Celiacs in October. I read somewhere that muscle cramping in the legs and feet are a symptom of the lack of nutrients being absorbed so the muscles spasm. I had no idea until after he came back positive and starting reading every possible symptom. He finally has been relieved since we have gone Gluten free. I would in my opinion say that yes it is a symptom. Hope this helps you and your little one.

#8 Lynayah

Lynayah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:24 PM

Yes! I mimed Celiac symptoms like crazy, even sores in my mouth. For more, take a look at my signature line . . . and please know: the info there doesn't even begin to list all of it.

Well . . . yes, the tests can be preformed by a family doc., but be careful -- tests can be misread, and frankly, some labs are better at running the tests than others. Mayo Clinic is a good one.

If at all possible, seek tests done by someone who specializes in gluten-intolerance.
Gluten Intolerant with double HLA-DQ6. Pre-diagnosis: Weight gain, swelling, diarrhea, mouth sores, back pain, body aches, fatigue, muscle weakness, BRAIN FOG, runny nose, recurrent sinus infections, bruising, low white cell count (whole life), and more. My feet were so bad, I could hardly walk. Toward the end: Chronic Vit. D deficiency (almost no D in my body despite a quality multi-vit. each day).

There is hope! Gluten-free since Sept. '09, and I have my life back - I feel better than in many, many years!

Favorite quotation: "You must do the thing you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: