12 replies to this topic

#1 Eliza13

Eliza13

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 07:57 PM

I'm really bloated again. SIGH. I've been 10 days gluten free and was doing well with the bloating for a few days in there. Maybe I'm getting gluten and don't know it. Hmmmm. How long does it normally take for the bloating to disappear? Should I stay away from fibre? Before going gluten free, dairy free I was having sometimes 7 stools per day...it's down to about 1-3 now, but maybe this is b/c of less fibre in the diet? Today has been a big poop day. Grrr. Anyone know a good link for an elimination diet??? I'm thinking of fasting and then slowly adding in foods to see if there are any other allergies/intolerances.

Skar
Diagnosed by my doctor on the basis of symptoms only (May 2005). My symptoms include:

-amenorhea (all my life)
-high prolactin levels
-major bloating ("Are you pregnant?")
-swollen ankles
-possible DH: had the rash on my elbows and scalp (gone now)
-joint pain
-childhood arthritis
-all dairy allergy
-dry skin
-fat in stool sample (no connection was made at the time...I was being tested for something else...When the doctor told me of the fat I replied by saying: "I eat alot of olive oil". DUH!!!!)
-mother is allergic to wheat
-ravenous appetite: I eat for 5 people
-light coloured stool
-pass stool 7 times a day sometimes
-hemorrhoids
-get the hiccups alot (not sure if this is related)
-some reflux

I'm sure there are more that I don't recall at the moment. SIGH.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 anewsprue

anewsprue

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 04:35 AM

Bloating was a major symptom for me too. Going gluten-free has helped a lot but until I quit ingesting Aspartame I still had some bloating. I was drinking two and sometimes four bottles of diet soda a day with aspartame, since I switched to splenda flavored drinks (diet-rite cola) no more bloat. Might just be me but it's worth a try.

#3 lotusgem

lotusgem

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:09 AM

Hi Skar.
Bloating used to be a big problem for me too before going gluten-free ten months ago, but it's a non-factor now. I'm 5' 8, 115 lbs. and for some reason, it took me forever to realize that it was unusual for me to be the only one who had to unbutton her pants when sitting down to a meal. Duh. My favorite outfit to wear when going to dine was a jumper with no waistline because that way, I could be more comfortable. My bloating only lasted as long as it took to recover before the start of the next meal, and then it was more of the same. I'm no authority, but I suspect that since you are new to the diet, you might be taking in gluten, unawares. Read those labels. Assume nothing.
Hope you are feeling better real soon. :)
Paula

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:59 AM

Other foods can - innocently - cause bloating as well, particularly the gassier vegetables and beans. It may just take your body some time to adjust, or you may need to investigate pinning down what foods are causing this problem.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 veggf

veggf

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 11:29 AM

Hi,

Congrats on going gluten-free, as tough as it is the diagnosis and gluten-free diet make life easier. At only 10 days gluten-free your body is still doing a lot of adjusting so it just may be that. However, bloating is one of the signs that I get indicating I may have accidently consumed gluten. Most of the time I "just" ;) get "D" and horrid stomach cramps, but sometimes no "D"/stomach cramps instead just huge bloating. Have you de-glutened your kitchen? Maybe you are getting gluten from your pans, dishes, or utensils? Or kissing a gluten consumer just after they ate? Lots of potential sources. You'll figure it out with time.

Best Wishes! :)

#6 Eliza13

Eliza13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 12:54 PM

Thank you for all of your replies!! It is nice to get some answers. Are the pans and utensils really that important? I had never thought of that and my doc hadn't mentioned it (but then again he also said that it didn't matter if my birth control pills had gluten in them after I'd asked....they don't, btw...I checked with the manufacturer...Diane 35).

I have a couple of questions in case anyone wants to take a shot at them...

1. Any ideas on a good breakfast protein? I had been eating chick peas until now, but I think I'll let my intestines heal before I have such hardcore fibre....I think it's contributing to the bloating.

2. I have always had floating stools until going gluten free (didn't realize that this was not normal). If I ever see this again does it mean that I have take in gluten, or can having a cold/flu cause them to float?

Interesting story for those who care: 3 years ago I went into the doctor's office because I had caught some sort of a bug...had bad rash all over my body...I had taken a stool sample to be tested and the doctor mentioned that the tests showed that there was alot of fat in my stool. Neither one of us thought much of it and I stupidly replied that I eat alot of olive oil. LOL. Little did I know it was celiac. I since have a much better doctor!!
Diagnosed by my doctor on the basis of symptoms only (May 2005). My symptoms include:

-amenorhea (all my life)
-high prolactin levels
-swollen ankles
-joint pain
-childhood arthritis
-all dairy allergy
-dry skin
-fat in stool sample (no connection was made at the time...I was being tested for something else...When the doctor told me of the fat I replied by saying: "I eat alot of olive oil". DUH!!!!)
-light coloured stool
-hemorrhoids
-some reflux

#7 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 02:18 PM

One thing that seems to help with my bloating is to eat very small meals about 4-6 times throughout the day. No more than 2 cups worth of food total in one meal. For me if the portions go beyond a certain amount then I start to get bloated. I also don't get the full feeling when I eat either so it is real easy for me to over eat. I haven't been able to determine if it is caused by a particular food. I don't get nearly as bloated as when I eat gluten. For some reason portion size has something to do with bloating with me.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#8 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2005 - 03:21 PM

for breakfast protein I actually stick with scrambled eggs and sausage or bacon. I do a lot of work involving using my muscles so I need LOTS of protein, and my dr. said as long as my cholesterol levels remain good, I can continue to eat them. I eat them maybe 4 days a week. On the other days I stick with gluten-free cereals, yogurts and fruit, or gluten-free pancakes or muffins or Kinnikinnick bagels with cream cheese.

#9 tammy

tammy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 04:46 PM

I have a few ideas for eating more protein at breakfast:

tofu
Silk Soy Milk
hummus-the bean is already partially broken down and they come in so many tasty varieties!
Eggs, boiled, fried, scrambled, omelettes(Omelettes are great for adding veggies and garlic to them)
gluten-free Protein Drinks (I think ALL in One is a gluten-free drink mix??)
Turkey burgers with your favorite gluten-free fixings, mushrooms or onions or bacon or salt and pepper or chili powder!

And sometimes I eat nitrite free, gluten-free hotdogs
it beats eating tofu everyday

#10 Eliza13

Eliza13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 05:38 PM

Anyone know which sausage brands are gluten free?

-amenorhea (all my life)
-high prolactin levels
-swollen ankles
-joint pain
-childhood arthritis
-all dairy allergy
-dry skin
-light coloured stool
-hemorrhoids
-some reflux

#11 egardner

egardner

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 05:45 PM

To go along with the gluten-free sausage question, what is the deal with seasonings and condiments? I am new and waiting for my nutritionist appt., so I am kinda winging it here. I've read so many different things about seasonings, what are the most common trade names for gluten I should be looking for other than the obvious?

#12 lotusgem

lotusgem

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:38 PM

Hello again, Skar.
Jimmy Dean makes sausage that is gluten-free, but not all the varieties. I know that the fresh, bulk sausage in the rolls that you have to cut up yourself, is safe. We eat it a couple of times a week. They make original, hot, maple, sage and Italian...that much I can tell you is gluten-free.
Although, I remember reading that because Celiacs have difficulty digesting fatty foods, that in the beginning while your body is most delicate from the damage endured on a gluten-laden diet, it is said to be a good idea to avoid high fat foods like sausage.
I went maybe a month or so, I think, before starting to eat bacon and sausage. Listen to your body, and take it from there.
Paula

#13 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:50 PM

Bloating is a major issue with me, I still struggle with it after 14 months on the diet. But certian foods make it worse, like dairy (which I avoid) and sugar. I also usually get gas along with it.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: