This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Bacon Have Gluten?

Myooshka

Myooshka Apprentice

Hi there can anyone tell me if bacon has gluten and if so what brands do not. Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
psawyer Proficient

I have never encountered bacon that was not gluten-free.

Myooshka Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. Could you also recommend a brand of peanut butter that is gluten free as well as nuts. Thanks, Mya

lizard00 Enthusiast

Neither have I. OMG, I would die without bacon. Seriously. :D

mushroom Proficient

That's one label I always have to very carefully check; some of ours does :(

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

I always read the label but have only seen one that had gluten - Farmer John's contains regular soy sauce.

Myooshka Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. I have a million questions. Can you please tell me if you have to be careful with plain rice? Is it often contaminated with gluten? Also for my little guy are there any fries that are safe. We tried the Ian's but he didn't like them. I called Mccain today and they have some that don't contain gluten but are cooked in the same areas where they process fries with gluten.....so if anyone can tell me any other types of fries that are safe would be much appreciated. Thank-you, Mya

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Plain rice would be gluten-free. Most items with only one ingredient are safe, unless the ingredient is obviously a gluten source such as flour.

Try these links for useful information:

Unsafe ingredients.

Safe ingredients.

Open Original Shared Link If you don't see "wheat, rye, barley, barley malt, oats" on the labels, its not there, or hidden in "flavors, starches, etc." Although this list is from the United States, the Canadian affiliates of these companies follow the same policy.

VH is a Con Agra brand sold only in Canada. VH Soya Sauce is gluten-free--we use it regularly. McCormick will clearly label any gluten ingredient. Use their single-ingredient spices with complete confidence. We do.

raquel158 Newbie

Thanks for the reply. Could you also recommend a brand of peanut butter that is gluten free as well as nuts. Thanks, Mya

Arrowhead Mills Creamy Organic Peanut Butter. They also have Crunchy as well. The label states "Gluten Free".

Ingredients: 100% Organic Dry Roasted Peanuts

Contains: Peanuts. (May contain traces of soy and tree nuts)

It's my favorite! Hope this helps.

-- Rocky

Rondar2001 Apprentice

I haven't run across bacon that contains gluten, although watch out in restaraunts for bacon bits. I know Tony Roma's bacon bits do contain gluten.

Myooshka Apprentice

Arrowhead Mills Creamy Organic Peanut Butter. They also have Crunchy as well. The label states "Gluten Free".

Ingredients: 100% Organic Dry Roasted Peanuts

Contains: Peanuts. (May contain traces of soy and tree nuts)

It's my favorite! Hope this helps.

-- Rocky

Can you tell me where you can buy this peanut butter. Thanks!

lovegrov Collaborator

Peanut butter is generally gluten-free. I can't name one in the U.S. that isn't.

richard

jackay Enthusiast

Hormel Natural Choice bacon states it is gluten free right on the package. I love it!

Felidae Enthusiast

I think you are in Alberta? I am in Alberta too. Kraft peanut butter is gluten-free. Co-op (if you are in southern AB) has a nice Organic no-stir peanut butter. Western Family makes a nice Organic need-to-stir peanut butter (at Save-On Foods or Sobeys). Bacon I'm not sure.

I've lived in northern and southern AB so PM me if you want any info.

Yup Apprentice

Hi there can anyone tell me if bacon has gluten and if so what brands do not. Thanks

I haven't had a problem with Bacon at all. If you are in Southern Alberta, have you gone to gluten-free Patisserie? They make the best gluten free products. They are located in Cochrane (west of Calgary). They have a great restaurant in town called Oliver R Twist. They label celiac friendly dishes on their menu. If you are craving Chinese food, check out Oriental Palace in Calgary. They make the best gluten free lemon chicken.

Here are their websites:

gluten-free Patisserie

122 3 Avenue West

Cochrane, AB T4C 1X8

Get Directions

(403) 990-9565

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

Paula :)

soda Newbie

In Calgary and Edmonton (Farmer's Market) there is a vendor called SUN WORKS they are a celiac family that farms grass fed animals...all their meat is gluten free (not grain fed) and that includes their bacon also eggs.

They also have various breakfast susages,chicken weinners, chicken meatloaf luch meat, rst.beef lunch meat, lamb, etc... a really great selection! Tasty! And a busy vendor!!

I believe on their website they can accomodate people that can't get to the market...they are a really great family

Hope this helps! Also ORGANIC!

psawyer Proficient

In Calgary and Edmonton (Farmer's Market) there is a vendor called SUN WORKS they are a celiac family that farms grass fed animals...all their meat is gluten free (not grain fed) and that includes their bacon also eggs.

They also have various breakfast susages,chicken weinners, chicken meatloaf luch meat, rst.beef lunch meat, lamb, etc... a really great selection! Tasty! And a busy vendor!!

I believe on their website they can accomodate people that can't get to the market...they are a really great family

This will be good news for those seeking organic foods.

Meat is gluten-free regardless of what the animal from which it came was fed.

lovegrov Collaborator

As Peter said, it makes no difference at all what the animal is fed. The meat is gluten-free even if the animal eats wheat or barley.

richard

Yup Apprentice

THANK-YOU! :) :) :)

• 4 weeks later...
Felidae Enthusiast

SunWorks Farms rocks! I've been buying their products for years. Their products are also nitrate- and MSG-free.

• 1 year later...
Ally657 Newbie

"Plain rice would be gluten-free. Most items with only one ingredient are safe, unless the ingredient is obviously a gluten source such as flour."

I unfortunately had a bad experience with rice. I had Unico long grain rice and OH boy I was in pain for days. I added other ingredients such as eggplants and lentils I had those both by themselves and was fine so rice had to be the culprit. It's such a pain because it's not listed anywhere on the packaging "may contain wheat, soy etc." I'm going to shoot them an e-mail about this see if there was some cross contamination.

love2travel Mentor

I live in Alberta and HAVE seen bacon containing soy sauce derived from wheat! Cannot recall which brand, though. So, carefully read the labels.

• 2 weeks later...
Coinkey Apprentice

In Safeway, there is back bacon slabs that you slice yourself. These are labelled gluten free. Also, their old fashioned peanut butter (needs to be stirred) has only "peanuts" on their ingredient list. I use it, never had any problems with it.

• 1 year later...
cavernio Enthusiast

Know is thread is old, but it's still the first hit in google for 'is bacon gluten free' and I do have some input.

BF recently bought the Maple Leaf Naturals bacon, which has Naturals gluten-free weiners, so he thought the bacon was also gluten free. Unfortunately the ingredient list was unclear, go 'spices'!

I emailed Maple Leaf and they said that the ONLY products they guarantee that are gluten-free are ones with Gluten Free right on the package. So their Natural bacon is NOT gluten free, for whatever reason. Being a large manufacturer of many other pork products that involve wheat, they probably don't have the gluten-free production line or whatever or maybe their 'spices' aren't gluten-free.

Furthermore, many bacons have natural and artificial flavors and colors listed in their ingredients, which may not be safe. And Maple Leaf probably isn't the only bacon brand that is likely to have cross contamination, since lots of companies make ham and weiners and bologna etc, as well as bacon. Bacon is a processed meat, not a cut of fresh pork.

I was largely only buying local bacon from my local farmer's market prior my dx (because their pigs actually have a semblance of a life, short though it probably is, not merely a tortured existence), which happens to also be gluten-free. It's tastier anyways.

psawyer Proficient

Unfortunately the ingredient list was unclear, go 'spices'!

No grain can legally be listed as "spices." Spices as an ingredient are always gluten-free. Do not confuse "spices" with "seasoning"--the terms are quite different.

I have never found a bacon that had gluten in twelve years gluten-free.

Archived