• Please log in to reply

50 replies to this topic

#46 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

Back to the bacon subject - I once saw bacon that included gluten in their ingredient list but it was a specialty seasoned bacon that is very uncommon. Aside from that I have never seen gluten in bacon. You must carefully scrutinize labels of things like chorizo, prosciutto and pancetta. Of course I scrutinize every single label of everything I buy but you know what I mean. :)

I worry about smoke flavour. If it says smoke, we're good to go but smoke flavour... I skip it... partially because I'm too lazy to call and ask. I just buy another brand. LOL
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 ajnemajrje

ajnemajrje

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:36 AM

I have had one brand of bacon - not sure of the brand anymore but I recognise the packaging and avoid it like the plague. It was smoked but instead of actually smoking their baco they added smoked seasoning to it and every time I ate that brand I got the worst stomach aches. Just read the lables on any smoked bacon to make sure it is actually smoked and you should be fine.

#48 french gluten free gourmet

french gluten free gourmet

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:01 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have a million questions. Can you please tell me if you have to be careful with plain rice? Is it often contaminated with gluten? Also for my little guy are there any fries that are safe. We tried the Ian's but he didn't like them. I called Mccain today and they have some that don't contain gluten but are cooked in the same areas where they process fries with gluten.....so if anyone can tell me any other types of fries that are safe would be much appreciated. Thank-you, Mya

Hi Mya,

My way to avoid gluten in fries is to cook them by myself, actually I bought a special machine which is cooking your fries with less fat...they are delicious and very healthy...my daughters love them...and me too. check the link  for this machine:

http://www.amazon.co...h fries machine

you can cook them in a deep fryer...my french tip is to cook it in 2 steps. First you dip them in the medium hot oil for 3 minutes. Than you put your thermostat on high temperature, wait untill the oil is warm again, and you cook it for the second time until it is getting a nice goldish color. Bon appetit!!!

#49 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:14 AM

Hi Mya,

My way to avoid gluten in fries is to cook them by myself, actually I bought a special machine which is cooking your fries with less fat...they are delicious and very healthy...my daughters love them...and me too. check the link  for this machine:

http://www.amazon.co...h fries machine

you can cook them in a deep fryer...my french tip is to cook it in 2 steps. First you dip them in the medium hot oil for 3 minutes. Than you put your thermostat on high temperature, wait untill the oil is warm again, and you cook it for the second time until it is getting a nice goldish color. Bon appetit!!!

Welcome!

Just wanted to let you know....this member has not been active here since March 2010.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#50 Celiac_Amber

Celiac_Amber

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:50 AM

Hi there can anyone tell me if bacon has gluten and if so what brands do not. Thanks

Hey! I know that this is an old post but beware of bacon! It is coated in flour as a thickener. I even get sick when someone is cooking it, it gives me the worst migrane! They do have gluten free bacon just make sure it is labeled, don't assume. Best of luck!

#51 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,124 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:57 AM

Hey! I know that this is an old post but beware of bacon! It is coated in flour as a thickener. I even get sick when someone is cooking it, it gives me the worst migrane! They do have gluten free bacon just make sure it is labeled, don't assume. Best of luck!

Could you tell us what country that is? In the US, that isn't true. Many countries, the US & Canada included, have laws in place that wheat must be listed as an ingredient.

Also, not sure why you would need a thickener on bacon? Why would you thicken the grease? I guess, if you were making gravy....but you would do that after the bacon is cooked?

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: