#1 Tigercat17

Tigercat17

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:45 PM

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good gluten free vitamin? I just started taking "Megafood Vitamins" & they told me they do test for gluten & they are gluten free. But I'm learning just because it's says gluten free doesn't always mean it's gluten free...

Has anyone tried them or had any reactions to them?

Thanks!
Lisa

Infertility since 1995/Endometriosis
Hasimoto Thyroid disease 1998
Enlarged Abdominal Lymph nodes since 2003 - Stable
Thyroid Hurtle Cell Cancer 2008 Stage 1- Total Thyriodectomy 2008
Anxiety/Depression/Insomnia/Fatigue - Gone with gluten free diet
Acid reflux -LPR 7-2009 - Gone with a Strict gluten free diet
Celiac disease - positive upper endoscopy & Blood Test 9-2009
Undiagnosed celiac for 20 years - Gluten free since 9-13-09

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,741 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:02 AM

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good gluten free vitamin? I just started taking "Megafood Vitamins" & they told me they do test for gluten & they are gluten free. But I'm learning just because it's says gluten free doesn't always mean it's gluten free...

Has anyone tried them or had any reactions to them?

Thanks!

I just took a quick look at the ingredients. With Barley grass in there I wouldn't touch them. Unfortunately they can call them gluten free even if they contain barley or wheat grass. Also unfortunately most of us will react.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 Tigercat17

Tigercat17

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:49 AM

I just took a quick look at the ingredients. With Barley grass in there I wouldn't touch them. Unfortunately they can call them gluten free even if they contain barley or wheat grass. Also unfortunately most of us will react.

Hi Ravenwoodglass,

Thanks for looking. I did look on the bottles of everything I'm taking & I don't see the barley grass in there. I'm taking the Blood Builder, vitamin D-3 2,000 & the Women's One Daily vitamins from Megafood. Could you tell me where you seen the barley grass?

I'm kind of freaking out. I've been taking these for the last three days. I'm not really noticing any reactions, but I want to make sure they're safe.

Thanks!
Lisa

#4 OptimisticMom42

OptimisticMom42

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:56 AM

I use Natures Bounty. We are limited on choices up here in the frozen north so... these one's have a long list of free's on the back and I've never reacted badly to them.

RA
Dx Celiacs March '09

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,741 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:16 PM

Hi Ravenwoodglass,

Thanks for looking. I did look on the bottles of everything I'm taking & I don't see the barley grass in there. I'm taking the Blood Builder, vitamin D-3 2,000 & the Women's One Daily vitamins from Megafood. Could you tell me where you seen the barley grass?

I'm kind of freaking out. I've been taking these for the last three days. I'm not really noticing any reactions, but I want to make sure they're safe.

Thanks!

I saw it in the general list of the ingredients they use in their vitamins. I didn't know which one you are taking so I looked at the general ingredients and what they are sourced from. Looking at the Women's One Daily they don't list the barley grass so it may not be included in that particular supplement.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 Tigercat17

Tigercat17

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:12 PM

I saw it in the general list of the ingredients they use in their vitamins. I didn't know which one you are taking so I looked at the general ingredients and what they are sourced from. Looking at the Women's One Daily they don't list the barley grass so it may not be included in that particular supplement.

Okay, thanks Ravenwoodglass. I did call the company again today to make sure there is no barley grass in the ones I'm taking. I'm just waiting for them to call me back. Thanks for checking them out.
Lisa

#7 Felix

Felix

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:05 PM

I Googled Megafoods Vitamins, gluten and came to this page. I recently began taking Megafoods' Women's Once Daily, which can be taken twice per day. That's what I did. I had not been taking any vitamins for a while, but now needed to be full of pep. Unfortunately, I did not realize I was having a reaction to this vitamin. But today was so bad, I was forced to very carefully review everything I have eaten, or taken in, over the last two weeks. The only change is this vitamin. I am oh-so-sorry that now I will have an even worse reaction tomorrow (I took two, spaced out earlier today), and can only hope the worst will be over then. Unfortunately, this is a working day at a new job, so this is beyond embarrassing. As the reaction took some days to set in severely, I assume there is just a trace of gluten. But it is enough. Hope you can avoid a similar reaction by reading this!

#8 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:12 PM

I am a longtime fan of Kirkman Labs - all of their stuff is high quality and reasonably inexpensive. They take allergens very seriously and it's the only vitamin brand I've never had a problem with (I'm pretty sensitive).

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#9 Felix

Felix

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:19 AM

I am a longtime fan of Kirkman Labs - all of their stuff is high quality and reasonably inexpensive. They take allergens very seriously and it's the only vitamin brand I've never had a problem with (I'm pretty sensitive).

Thanks, Janet. I'll look for that brand.

#10 Tigercat17

Tigercat17

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:19 AM

I Googled Megafoods Vitamins, gluten and came to this page. I recently began taking Megafoods' Women's Once Daily, which can be taken twice per day. That's what I did. I had not been taking any vitamins for a while, but now needed to be full of pep. Unfortunately, I did not realize I was having a reaction to this vitamin. But today was so bad, I was forced to very carefully review everything I have eaten, or taken in, over the last two weeks. The only change is this vitamin. I am oh-so-sorry that now I will have an even worse reaction tomorrow (I took two, spaced out earlier today), and can only hope the worst will be over then. Unfortunately, this is a working day at a new job, so this is beyond embarrassing. As the reaction took some days to set in severely, I assume there is just a trace of gluten. But it is enough. Hope you can avoid a similar reaction by reading this!

I just wanted to add that I was getting gluten from these vitamins, too. I took me a while to figure it out. I called this company three times... :blink: I was taking the same vitamins for months and I had so much energy, but I was still having my same old gluten reaction, so I stopped taking them to see if I felt better. All my reactions went away. It's crazy how these companies can state they are gluten free! I hope no one else is taking them. It took me months to figure it out. :(

I now take GNC Women's Ultra Mega Active. I feel so much better!
Lisa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: