This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Coping!

JennyRey

JennyRey Rookie

Hello.. I am new here. I was diagnosed last week and have been gluten free for a little under a week. As soon as the doctor gave me the diagnosis I began to do research. I am fortunate enough to have a husband and children who are really helpful in this "new way of life" for me. My questions are mostly with coping. I am an overweight 37 year old and am not use to eating gluten free. I am Italian so my diet consisted of Bread and Pasta. My system is shocked! No pasta, No Bread, Diet/Caffeine Coke, and decaf coffee!!! AGHHH. Anyway my few questions to all you pros is:

1.When will I start feeling less tired?. I go to bed anywhere from 7pm-8:30pm. I know that is insane but I am exhausted. I wake up at 5am.

2. Cornstarch....yay or nay?

3. Does that nasty gluten free bread get ANY easier to eat??lol

Thanks for your help,

Jenny

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I am Italian so my diet consisted of Bread and Pasta. My system is shocked! No pasta, No Bread, Diet/Caffeine Coke, and decaf coffee

What? I'm gluten free and I eat all those things!!! In fact I'm fixing spaghetti with french bread for dinner and I'm drinking a Coke right now. I certainly didn't give up my life when going gluten free. I just found gluten free substitutes, most everything can be made gluten free. Making pizza tomorrow and I'll fix my dh gluten free sandwiches for his lunch.

Against the Grain products to try:

Pizza Crust

Baguettes

Open Original Shared Link

Pasta:

Bi-Aglut-any type you want

For Bread:

Udi's!!! Most excellent with no grittiness and doesn't taste like sawdust, either the white or multi grain

If your local health food store doesn't carry these brands ask them to order some. You can order online which is what I did.

I find the hardest thing to overcome is the cross contamination issues. I solved this with a gluten free kitchen. No one is missing anything by eating gluten free so anyone who comes to my house eats gluten free.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hello.. I am new here. I was diagnosed last week and have been gluten free for a little under a week. As soon as the doctor gave me the diagnosis I began to do research. I am fortunate enough to have a husband and children who are really helpful in this "new way of life" for me. My questions are mostly with coping. I am an overweight 37 year old and am not use to eating gluten free. I am Italian so my diet consisted of Bread and Pasta. My system is shocked! No pasta, No Bread, Diet/Caffeine Coke, and decaf coffee!!! AGHHH. Anyway my few questions to all you pros is:

1.When will I start feeling less tired?. I go to bed anywhere from 7pm-8:30pm. I know that is insane but I am exhausted. I wake up at 5am.

Thanks for your help,

Jenny

Hi and welcome Jenny :)

It's going to get easier, I promise. Try Tinkyada Pasta--it's the best I've tried and as long as you don't over cook it it tastes really good.

With breads, that's highly individual. I like Gluten Free Pantry French Bread--it's a mix that is easily made either in the oven or bread machine.

Cornstarch is fine, as is Coke (all variates) and plain coffee. The only coffee you would need to check on would be a flavored one.

The fatigue should work itself out in time--you body is going through a lot with the healing that is taking place and it's very common to be tired at first. For the first few months I was gluten-free, I felt like I couldn't get enough sleep.

So glad you found us--let us know if there's anything else you need.

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

Hey fellow Italian girl here! Tinkyada pasta is really good.

I'm new to the diet myself, only 2 weeks into it. Haven't found a bread I like so far, but I'm eating simply to let myself heal. When I'm better I'm going to try making my own.

weishy Newbie

Tinkada's are good and quinoas pasta are good and actually healthier for you. The Quinoas actually taste like the real thing.

If you have a Sprouts near you they usually have tons of gluten free foods and in our area it's cheaper. Henry's, Jimbo's, and Trader Joes either has a reasonable or smaller section for gluten free foods. I've heard that other wholefood stores also may carry gluten free pasta products.

If you wanted to make breads, Jules Gluten Free sells premixed flours online which has gotten good reviews by the Washington Post...I think she also goes by (nearly normal cooking or something like that) and she has written a breadbook. My family likes her biscuit recipe and they don't have the gluten issues. She has also done some televised clips on cooking and holds classes for gluten free cooking.

Good luck.

Hey fellow Italian girl here! Tinkyada pasta is really good.

I'm new to the diet myself, only 2 weeks into it. Haven't found a bread I like so far, but I'm eating simply to let myself heal. When I'm better I'm going to try making my own.

mamaw Community Regular

Hello & Welcome

I agree with others --- you don't have to give up on foods just because you are now gluten-free. You just have to give up wheat, rye, barley! You know the foods that are making you ill. There are wonderful subs for everything you love to eat.....

Although not Italian we love Italian food! And we don't miss the wheat stuff that made us sick we just found alternatives that have wonderful texture & taste.

We love Everybody Eats ficeille rolls or the baguettes (think garlic bread) when we have Italian nights..

Also if you like bagels & Eng Muffins & pan style pizza Joans gluten-free great bakes is the place for those.

For a hamburger bun or for a deli sandwich, sloppy joes & so on go to Bertille Buns.......

The Grainless Baker has many yummy things including graham crackers, rye bread & much more.

Dutch Country Pretzels has gluten-free soft pretzels.....

Udi's bread is sooo good as well as mixes from Breads by Anna; Sisters three,Whole Foods has bread that we like for grilled cheese & for stuffing.....

Try to program yourself to not thinking about what you have to give up but how well you will be being gluten-free & you still get to enjoy the foods you love. Its a win win......

blessings

mamaw

Whole Foods is gluten free paradise. You could eat your way to 400 pounds from all the sweets and gluten free treats they sell there!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Reba32 Rookie

I feel 100% better since being gluten free. More energy, I sleep better, and I don't have that cloud of noxious gas hanging over me anymore! ;)

I don't eat packaged foods though, whole natural foods only. I've been a low carber for well over a year now (which is how I diagnosed Celiac, then confirmed with blood tests and biopsy), and I feel so much better! And, a wonderful side effect of eating only whole natural foods is you lose weight!

Once you get used to the diet, and make sure that you're getting nutrients that your body needs (not just replacing gluten containing junk food with gluten free junk food!) you should feel better. You should start getting the nutrients from your foods within a couple of weeks after going gluten-free (I think I read somewhere). But depending how long you'd actually had Celiac disease and how much damage was done to your small intestine, it may take longer to heal.

GFinDC Veteran

Hey Jenny,

You may want to take it easy on all the substitute foods for a while. Your system will do some adjusting as you go through the healing process and new foods could be upsetting. Another thing we sometimes run into is lactose intolerance. It sometimes goes away after being on the diet for a while.

I use Mission corn tortillas to make little roll-ups and Whole Foods has Enjoy Life larger rice wraps. The wraps need to be heated a little to make them soft and flexible.

A good way to start the healing process is to follow a simple whole foods diet. Avoid processed foods and cook everything from scratch yourself. After you have done the diet a while you will learn there are cross contamination issues with some processed foods that can make you sick. Some food manufacturers label their foods as being produced on shared equipment which is a tip off not to eat it. Foods made in a dedicated facility are a safer bet.

Take a bit of time and use the search function on here to read up on vitamins too. Vitamin absorption can be impaired by the damage to you gut lining. So taking a few vitamins may be helpful at first. B-12, D, and calcium, are some of the ones often recommended here.

If you can find Glutino fiber bread in the Whole Foods freezer you might like it.

There is lots to learn about the diet and this is a great place to research. Welcome!

bluebonnet Explorer

Thanks for your help,

Jenny

hi and welcome! i'm into my 3rd week of gluten free and i've definitely gained more energy (despite the insomnia!). i'm also 37 yrs and so far i've lost 2" off my waist and 10 lbs just by eliminating gluten (i was one bloated girl!) lol i have yet to try the breads but did hear there are good ones out there and that you mainly have to experiment. cornstarch is okay to use and you can drink coke and regular coffee but you have to be careful with the flavored ones. just check check and check EVERYTHING (don't forget your hand lotion!) best wishes! :)

JennyRey Rookie

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will use them all!! I am willing to do anything to stop the stomach problems.. Maybe if someone would of caught this when I was a child, I would be a little taller..lol..

I am eating the Whole Foods bread..Almond and Rice and yuck!

I guess with the energy I will be getting I may be able to stay up a little later to bake my own bread.

I also have a feeling that my daughter has Celiac symptoms so hopefully we can catch this young enough.

Anyway.. Thank you all!!

Jen

JennyRey Rookie

Also,

I am on facebook all day at work. If you have a facebook account, feel free to contact me so I can add you to my site. Please let me know your from the Celiac site so I dont think you are some random person. :)

I am under Jennifer DeMarco Reynolds

Thanks!

fwee Newbie

hi and welcome! i'm into my 3rd week of gluten free and i've definitely gained more energy (despite the insomnia!). i'm also 37 yrs and so far i've lost 2" off my waist and 10 lbs just by eliminating gluten (i was one bloated girl!) lol i have yet to try the breads but did hear there are good ones out there and that you mainly have to experiment. cornstarch is okay to use and you can drink coke and regular coffee but you have to be careful with the flavored ones. just check check and check EVERYTHING (don't forget your hand lotion!) best wishes! :)

Also, don't forget your lipstick and your husband's chapstick. I've been gluten free since 2005 and I'm still learning. I guess it's just like life...........continual learning. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will use them all!! I am willing to do anything to stop the stomach problems.. Maybe if someone would of caught this when I was a child, I would be a little taller..lol..

I guess with the energy I will be getting I may be able to stay up a little later to bake my own bread.

I also have a feeling that my daughter has Celiac symptoms so hopefully we can catch this young enough.

Anyway.. Thank you all!!

Jen

I ended up with short stature and am pretty sure it's due to celiac. I was always on the tall average side until in 6th grade I mysteriously stopped growing. My family is mostly average to tall with a few short people thrown in but not extremely short like me. I'm only 4'11" tall.

I know that bread you are talking about. It's more like a hockey puck! :lol:

JennyRey Rookie

I ended up with short stature and am pretty sure it's due to celiac. I was always on the tall average side until in 6th grade I mysteriously stopped growing. My family is mostly average to tall with a few short people thrown in but not extremely short like me. I'm only 4'11" tall.

Thats about when I stopped growing too. I am 5'. My parents are about 5'5". I would of like to of had at least a few more inches. lol.

Lord Varvca Newbie

Anyway.. Thank you all!!

Jen

Hello all,

I am also new to Celiac Disease, I was diagnosed today and have to start a Gluten Free diet ASAP.

-I am a little bit lost when it comes to food additives. When you guys look at food labels, besides the obvious, what are some things I should stay away from? I am already very disappointed about the beer brewing process, and WINE! I know I will change my eating habits and lifestyle a lot due to this, but I want to feel better. I have a small list of places I like to go, if anyone has any suggestions for meals and FAST meals I would be very thankful.

Panera bread company (soups, salads, breads)

Colters BBQ

Chipotle

Pei Wei

Starbucks

Potbellys Subs

Quiznos

I also go to nicer restaurants with my parents or co-workers, what should be my approach at these places? Should I look off the menu and for items that would least likely contain gluten? Call in advance? (Need help with this one) I know there are lists online that show gluten-free friendly restaurants, but I know there are going to be times where it is not my decision where we go.

One more thing, I have been drinking soy milk for a while. I originally thought it was causing the upsets, but obviously it was not. Are soymilks gluten free, or should I be searching for a specific type?

Thanks!

Armand

lynnelise Apprentice

I'm only 4'11 too! I stopped growing in the fifth grade. (Taller at least, I continually grow outward! lol!) A lot of my family is short though. Most of the short ones have bad stomachs too. Interesting.

lynnelise Apprentice

Hello all,

I am also new to Celiac Disease, I was diagnosed today and have to start a Gluten Free diet ASAP.

-I am a little bit lost when it comes to food additives. When you guys look at food labels, besides the obvious, what are some things I should stay away from? I am already very disappointed about the beer brewing process, and WINE! I know I will change my eating habits and lifestyle a lot due to this, but I want to feel better. I have a small list of places I like to go, if anyone has any suggestions for meals and FAST meals I would be very thankful.

Colters BBQ

Chipotle

Pei Wei

Starbucks

Potbellys Subs

Quiznos

I also go to nicer restaurants with my parents or co-workers, what should be my approach at these places? Should I look off the menu and for items that would least likely contain gluten? Call in advance? (Need help with this one) I know there are lists online that show gluten-free friendly restaurants, but I know there are going to be times where it is not my decision where we go.

One more thing, I have been drinking soy milk for a while. I originally thought it was causing the upsets, but obviously it was not. Are soymilks gluten free, or should I be searching for a specific type?

Thanks!

Armand

I believe I read that Pei Wei has a gluten free menu. Chipolte is usually okay, just have them change gloves and stuff and get a bol. Panera could be iffy due to cross contamination. Other restaurants I definately recommending calling ahead and speaking with a manager. Some will work with you and others won't.

Most soymilk is okay, check the labels thoroughly, though a lot of people on here seem to have trouble digesting soy.

Hello all,

Colters BBQ

Chipotle

Pei Wei

Starbucks

Potbellys Subs

Quiznos

Thanks!

Armand

Hey Armand, welcome to the coolest club you never wanted to join! :lol:

Are you sick right now with symptoms? If you are then you might want to do a simple diet for a bit to let the gut heal. I am off of soy and dairy because they are just too hard to digest right now. I'm about 2 1/2 weeks into the diet. I was able to tolerate some dairy and soy before but I had an episode of being violently ill from this and I'm still recovering from it.

If you do a search on here for withdrawals you might want to read about it. I have had a lot of withdrawal symptoms and it's finally getting better now but not 100% yet. Maybe you will get lucky and not have any but in case you start feeling weird stuff or not feeling well, you can have some answers.

If you aren't sick then your best bet is to read the safe foods list and forbidden foods list here on this site and then talk to the restaurant server or manager to accomodate your diet. If you area having a lot of symptoms right now, then you might not eat out for a bit or eat simply. I ate Wendy's chili and it was way too hard for my tummy to handle at this point, even though it's gluten free. A very good book I'm reading right now is Living Gluten Free for Dummies. It's basic and a fast read and funny too in places.

Armand, you can have wine. Is there any wine with gluten in it? I don't think there is.

GFinDC Veteran

Welcome Lord Varca, join the club! Getting started on the gluten-free diet is most likely a confusing time for most people. There are lots of ingredients to learn about that most people never think about. Plus you will learn that cross contamination is a problem for many of us. In other words, very small amounts of gluten that get into our foods unintentionally during manufacturing or food preparation. Eating out is a minefield for us especially at the beginning.

There is plenty of food we can eat though, it just takes learning the right kinds of foods to eat and maybe adjusting your eating habits. A simple whole foods diet of food you cook yourself at home is the best way to learn and heal IMHO. Avoiding dairy and soy is helpful also as they cause some of us problems. Simplifying your diet at first can help you learn how to safely expand it later.

There is a simple reality to understand here, your body is different and it takes a little special care and feeding. Kind of like a premium race horse on special feed. All that junk, fillers, preservatives (bug killers) and food colorings may not agree with your system. Kind of surprising it agrees with anyone's system really.

Hang around and learn with the rest of us. There is a recipes section here and threads on breakfast ideas and quick meals etc. The main celiac com page has articles on celiac disease and testing etc.

I am still learning after 2 years of the diet and feeling better as a result. Read a bunch of stuff here and you will get an idea what it is all about. Learning to cook is a good thing to think about too. I learned to make flourless peanut butter cookies here not long ago and now I make gluten-free muffins and cookies. It can be done and be fun too!

luvthelake21 Rookie

Just wanted to say hello and welcome to the forum. If you have any questions there is somebody on here that will help you, the people on here are lifesavers :)

Lord Varvca Newbie

Armand, you can have wine. Is there any wine with gluten in it? I don't think there is.

Just wanted to say hello and welcome to the forum. If you have any questions there is somebody on here that will help you, the people on here are lifesavers :)

Thanks everyone for the replies! I have been doing a lot of research online and from other gluten Intolerant people. I think I am learning very fast, the hardest thing to do is learn all of the gluten byproducts (food additives) although there are very helpful lists of possible ingredients that may be contaminated.

As for the Wine "sandsurfgirl" I have found that there is many wineries using a flour paste in their barrels which may or may not contaminate the wine. It is always in the reds it seems, and usually the more expensive wines. I will ask my brother who is married to the owners daughter of Hannah winery in Nappa, Bizmark and Alexander Valley in California. I am sure this may be more of a case in older wines, seeing how they have been aged longer and the seals may have contaminated some wines. If anyone is interested just google!! :D

Thanks again

Thanks everyone for the replies! I have been doing a lot of research online and from other gluten Intolerant people. I think I am learning very fast, the hardest thing to do is learn all of the gluten byproducts (food additives) although there are very helpful lists of possible ingredients that may be contaminated.

As for the Wine "sandsurfgirl" I have found that there is many wineries using a flour paste in their barrels which may or may not contaminate the wine. It is always in the reds it seems, and usually the more expensive wines. I will ask my brother who is married to the owners daughter of Hannah winery in Nappa, Bizmark and Alexander Valley in California. I am sure this may be more of a case in older wines, seeing how they have been aged longer and the seals may have contaminated some wines. If anyone is interested just google!! :D

Thanks again

Okay that's bumming me out. Wine is a necessity! I can give up good beer, but not good wine. I don't drink all that much but I love my wine. I'm on a simple diet for recovery so wine is out for now anyway. Reds are my preference.

psawyer Proficient

I have heard this tale about wine many times, but have never found any credible evidence that wine contains gluten. I drink wine without any reservations.

Archived