This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Any Gluten Free Ice Creams?

PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs Explorer

Just wondering if there are any gluten-free ice creams. I haven't seen any so far.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

Almost all regular ice creams are gluten-free unless they have obvious ingredients like cookies, brownies, cookie dough, Oreos, etc. For Ben and Jerry's, Breyers, Baskin Robbins and Popsicle all you have to do is read the ingredients. Turkey Hill, Edy's, and Dreyers have gluten-free lists that include most of their flavors.

richard

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Ben & Jerry

Breyers

Good Humor

Popsicle

These are some brands(above) that will not hide anything so if they have wheat,rye,barley,oats then they will clearly say that on the label

Edy's(check out their website for gluten free flavors)

TCBY & Baskin Robbins also have some gluten free ice cream.

oops now I see I was a few minutes behind Richards post with alot of the same info.

jenvan Collaborator

I'd have to recommend Edy's too. They rock :P

rmmadden Contributor

Anyone know if Klondike Bars are gluten-free? I saw a variety that has Hershey's Chocolate (which we know is gluten-free). Just curious if anyone has eaten these?

Thanks,

Cleveland Bob B)

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Klondike is another brand that will not hide anything so just check the label for wheat,rye,barley,oats and if there is none of that the enjoy! :D

celiac3270 Collaborator

Haagen-Dazs will mail you a gluten-free list, but basically just avoid Dulche de leche and all the obvious ones: brownies, cookie dough, strawberry shortcake, etc.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

If you have a Cold Stone creamery near you they also have gluten free ice cream. Most of their flavors are gluten free as well as a lot of the mix ins, they use name brand mix ins like m&m's, reeses cups, etc... You can request that they use a clean paddle, and a clean section of counter. Also, the one near me lets me bring in Cerrone cones, or you can get your scoops in a cup. You can also get to go pints. Oh and they make the ice creams on location, so they should be able to tell you exactly what is in the flavors and which ones to avoid. Stay away from the hot fudge, it contains gluten

lovegrov Collaborator

Some hot fudges do indeed contain gluten (I think Dairy Queens might) but fudge ice creams in general seem OK.

Bottom line -- ice cream, as long as you avoid the obvious -- is really a pretty safe treat for us.

richard

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Turkey Hill's premium ice cream

Guest nini

Mayfield Ice Creams also have a gluten free list on their website!

Lagomom Newbie

What about Blue Bunny ice cream? Does anyone know anything about them?

VydorScope Proficient

I emailed the makers of "Private Selection" a couple of days ago. I have only got an automated response so far, anyone have any info on them? Thier ice cream is on sale this weeks, so that makes me intrested :)

lovegrov Collaborator

Blue Bunny will clearly list at least wheat.

richard

VydorScope Proficient

Got a response!

Thank you for your inquiry about Kroger Brand Ice Cream.  We do have many Kroger Brand Ice Cream products that are considered gluten free. 

All Kroger Brand and Private Selection Brand ice creams and frozen yogurt products are gluten free except those with cake, cookie pieces, or candy pieces added (such as the Cookies and Cream, Butter Zinger, Malty Millionaire, etc).  There is a slight possibility of cross contamination due to cake and cookie items prepared in same plant but allergen precautions are taken to try to prevent any cross-contamination between allergens.

Please feel free to call our Dietitian line at 1-866-632-6900, Monday-Friday 10am

plantime Contributor

Country Rich brand chocolate at Wal Mart is glutenfree. It has a rich, delicious chocolate flavor!

KayJay Enthusiast

We just bought some blue bunny ice cream bars. Choc. on the outside vanilla on the inside they are really good.

I wanted some fudgesicles but I couldn't find any that were gluten-free. All of the ones at our store contain wheat. Anyone know of some please let me know.

BTW a lot of Blue bell Ice cream has wheat in it especially their chocolate it says on the label but just make sure to check.

Twister2 Contributor

Even though its a little pricey, Haagen Daz Strawberry Ice Cream is the best!!!!

:P

LqrMan Newbie

Since no one mentioned it yet, Friendly's makes good ice creams as well and they are cheaper than others out there. I prefer the (Black) Raspberry, it's awesome! :P

VydorScope Proficient
Since no one mentioned it yet, Friendly's makes good ice creams as well and they are cheaper than others out there. I prefer the (Black) Raspberry, it's awesome! :P

No friendly's here in TN, I know cause we used ot eat there all the time when I lived in NJ, but when I lived in NV and now in TN, there are none. They are not as wide spread as they should be.

Lagomom Newbie

Just received a reply from Blue Bunny.

<<Hi my name is Judith I received your message. The mono-diglycerides derive from soy. If you need any further assistants. I could be reach Monday thru Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm CST

Judith O. Lozada

1-(800) 942-3800 ext 2954>>

Libby.

Dx celiac disease 2002

+ bloodwork, + endoscophy

5 of six children with celiac disease Dx 2002 :blink:

Guest nini

Mayfield's fudge bars are gluten free

also Philly Swirl (an awesome company!) has a fudge swirl pop if you can find them. All of the stores around me only carry the Italian Ice and the popsicles, but I imagine their fudge swirls are just as good.

connole1056 Rookie

I have not seen any mention of Carvel ice cream, so I am adding it. The company makes ice cream cakes that can be made without the cruchies in the center. Carvel has become very small compared to what it used to be, but if there is one near you try it.

VydorScope Proficient
I have not seen any mention of Carvel ice cream, so I am adding it. The company makes ice cream cakes that can be made without the cruchies in the center. Carvel has become very small compared to what it used to be, but if there is one near you try it.

LOVE Carvel cakes. Even befor celiac disease I demaned them at any party for me. :D

Guest nini

are the Carvel cakes just ice cream or do they have a (gluten) cake base??? Dairy Queen's Ice cream cakes have a (gluten) cake base.

Archived