8 replies to this topic

#1 misslexi

misslexi

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:01 PM

I don't remember this happening the first few times I made brown rice noodles, maybe its a brand issue...but the last several times, with different types, they stick to the bottom! Like crazy, and I don't mean they burn they just stick on good. Not only that but there ends up being this gooey, starchy film over them and I have to rinse them before I can eat them haha.

I add a little bit of vegetable oil like I always do, just like with wheat noodles.

Is there something different I should be doing to get rid of the gooey, and to stop them from sticking so much?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 purple

purple

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:30 PM

There are lots of posts on this subject that you could google (Tinkyada). My first thought is use lots of water. I rinse the slime (some don't) :rolleyes: Never had slime with the lasagna noodles. I am sure others will chime in too!
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#3 Janessa

Janessa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:22 PM

Use more water to avoid the thick starchy film, when you first put the pasta in the water stir it really well and stir more often while it is cooking. I find stirring it really well in the beginning and more often toward the end keeps it from sticking to itself and the pan
peanut free Nov 06, gluten free June 07, corn and soy free July 08, latex free Oct 08 Banana and kiwi cross reacting with latex allergy
happily vegetarian

#4 VickiLynn

VickiLynn

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:41 PM

Use more water to avoid the thick starchy film, when you first put the pasta in the water stir it really well and stir more often while it is cooking. I find stirring it really well in the beginning and more often toward the end keeps it from sticking to itself and the pan

I agree, more water, drop of oil in the water and lots of stirring. Rinsing the pasta is important as well.

#5 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:08 PM

This is what I do:
Make sure your water is at a FULL rolling boil, add pasta, stir well to separate, bring back up to a full boil, decrease heat to a small boil, I only cook for 1/2 the suggested time and then check for doneness. I find that gluten-free pastas cook for less time than the directions state. Drain and rinse.

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#6 Darissa

Darissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:37 PM

If you can have corn, we love corn pasta much more than rice pasta. We use Mrs. Leepers corn pastas. WE buy them at our local Walmart and at Whole Foods. You can also buy them over the web. IMHO, they hold up much better and taste much better than the rice. We serve them to guest when they come over and they have no idea they are eating a gluten free corn pasta. The kids love them!

Before we found the corn pasta, my brown rice pasta would stick also. I switched over to a nonstick pan, and lowered the heat, and that seemed to help some. Good luck!

#7 CelestialNav

CelestialNav

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:40 AM

Tinkyada is a good Rice Pasta. But, I apply the same rule as I do to rice. I put the Rice Pasta into the boiling water, but after stirring it for a bit, I put the lid on the pot and turn off the heat and let it sit for about 6 to 8 minutes. It is usually done to my liking in that time. I drain it in a collandar and serve it with whatever Sauce I've made. I don't rinse it as that washes away nutrients. But, I have found that Thai Kitchen Rice Noodles work much better. Plus, they are easier to find in your Supermarket and easier for your Supermarket to get in for you. Try them, you might like them better and they're not mushy if made per the above directions. ;)

#8 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:47 AM

You're not supposed to add oil with noodles of any kind. I don't know who came up with that idea!

You need to start with a HUGE pot of boiling, salted water. If there's not enough water and it's not boiling, you'll have problems.

I have Rachel Ray's Oval Spaghetti Pot. I use it for all my pasta. I never have trouble.

#9 digmom1014

digmom1014

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:10 PM

You're not supposed to add oil with noodles of any kind. I don't know who came up with that idea!

You need to start with a HUGE pot of boiling, salted water. If there's not enough water and it's not boiling, you'll have problems.

I have Rachel Ray's Oval Spaghetti Pot. I use it for all my pasta. I never have trouble.

My prblem is the water ALWAYS boils over the top and is darn hard to clean off my glass stovetop. If anyone has any suggestions...
Sarah

"What comes around, goes around"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: