11 replies to this topic

#1 KellyR

KellyR

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 06:25 AM

I am trying to find a good breadcrumb or else and idea how everyone else makes breaded chicken like chicken parm or eggplant parm. Even meatballs. Thanks!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 debmidge

debmidge

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 07:42 AM

Breadcrumbs made of rice & are plain: HolGrain but they are hard to find.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#3 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 08:02 AM

Does anyone have a receipe for gluten-free hamburger rolls not using soy Flour or guar gum? Xanthan gum is OK. Eggs OK. Milk OK.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#4 kejohe

kejohe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 09:38 AM

The easiest thing for me is just to bake a loaf of bread, slice it and remove the crust, then I let it dry and process it n my food processor, it gives really nice "panko like" crumbs. You can toast the bread to speed up the process, but that adds color you may not want.

The great thing about making crumbs this way, it that you can uses the bread that falls and it won't make any difference, so you don't have to feel like your fallen bread is a total loss. :)
Kathleen
Son has been gluten-free since December 2001

#5 jamma825

jamma825

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 09:44 AM

Hi,
I'm pretty new at this also. But, I have been using instant potatoes. Someone told me about it and it works pretty well.
I put all ingredients in a baggie and mix together then store in an air tight jar.
Put whatever you would add to your regular breadcrumbs. ie. parsley, garlic powder, cheese etc.

Hope it works for you. :D

#6 jamma825

jamma825

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 09:46 AM

Hi,
I'm pretty new at this also. But, I have been using instant potatoes. Someone told me about it and it works pretty well.
I put all ingredients in a baggie and mix together then store in an air tight jar.
Put whatever you would add to your regular breadcrumbs. ie. parsley, garlic powder, cheese etc.

Hope it works for you. :D

#7 Kim

Kim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 11:26 AM

In addition to the gluten-free breadcrumbs you can buy or make, you also can put gluten-free tortilla chips in the food processor and use those -- they also sell those already processes. Especially for mexican food, these are very good.

Kim.

#8 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 01:18 PM

I've also heard that nut flours work well for breading. (Trader Joe's has hazelnut and almond meal that looks like it's a great texture for breading.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#9 Jo Ann

Jo Ann

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 04:15 PM

I slice the entire loaf of bread and wrap each slice individually for freezing, so we only take out what is needed since only one family member is celiac. The ends are saved in the freezer until there are enough to dry and process in the food processor. gluten-free cereal can be crushed, too. Instant potatoes can be used, but read the ingredients, sometimes there is hidden gluten. If you like the flavor, corn meal is a good filler. Fritos or other gluten-free corn chips and potato chips can be processed into crumbs and used for a change of taste. My mother always used oats in meatloaf. Stale cookies (they don't stay fresh long) can be crushed for pie crust (use like graham crumbs or Oreo cookie crust).

#10 jenni

jenni

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 10:53 AM

Breading Mix

2 c. sorghum flour
6 T cornstarch
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp. Season-All salt

Mix well.

This is really good. I made fried chicken fingers with it and my daughter and I literally did not even get to the table to eat these - we were eating them out of the pan!

#11 jenni

jenni

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 11:04 AM

Breading Mix

2 c. sorghum flour
6 T cornstarch
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp pepper
4 tsp Season-All salt
This is really good. I used it to make fried chicken fingers and my daughter and I lierally didn't even get to the table to eat them, we ate then right out of the pan.

Sorry, if this is a repeat but when I posted it the first time I don't think it worked.

#12 jenni

jenni

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 11:21 AM

p.s. I soak the chicken in ice water first, dry, then dip in yogurt, then toss them in a baggie with the breading

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: