Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

What Chains Are Offering Gluten-Free Meals Nowadays?

• Please log in to reply

23 replies to this topic

#1 Clark Bent as Stupor-Man

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:26 PM

I've been gluten free for about 4 years now and have been successfully eating out in restaurants for the past 2 fairly frequently but just recently realized there are probably a number of options I don't know about. I've incidentally stumbled upon places like Johnny Carino's and Boston's Pizza (a sports bar with gluten free pizza!) through friends and from checking this forum briefly, just saw that Olive Garden also has a gluten free menu.

So the chains I know of are outback, pf changs, carabbas, bonefish grille, cheesecake factory, red robin, charlie browns, johnny carino's, boston's pizza, olive garden. What else is out there and seems to have at least an inkling of a clue as to what they're doing (I don't think I'm that sensitive to a little cc).
- Charlie

- gluten free since January, 2006

- multiple food intolerances temporarily from leaky gut and candida

- positive test for lyme disease - April, 2007

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:56 AM

Did you see Godfathers? Not all have gluten free so check first. Also, where I live, we have some local restuarants that have 5 or 6 in the area. They have been very helpful when I emailed. One of them has fryers dedicated to only potatoes. Good luck.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Coleslawcat

Coleslawcat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:42 AM

I've been gluten free for about 4 years now and have been successfully eating out in restaurants for the past 2 fairly frequently but just recently realized there are probably a number of options I don't know about. I've incidentally stumbled upon places like Johnny Carino's and Boston's Pizza (a sports bar with gluten free pizza!) through friends and from checking this forum briefly, just saw that Olive Garden also has a gluten free menu.

So the chains I know of are outback, pf changs, carabbas, bonefish grille, cheesecake factory, red robin, charlie browns, johnny carino's, boston's pizza, olive garden. What else is out there and seems to have at least an inkling of a clue as to what they're doing (I don't think I'm that sensitive to a little cc).

Macaroni Grill, Chili's, Maggiano's, On The Border, and Chevy's. Locally in Phoenix there is Barro's Pizza, Picazzo Pizza, and Sourdough Pizza. I'm pretty new to this and I've been pleasently surprised by all of the gluten free dining options.

#4 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:44 AM

Why does everyone say Chevy's has gluten free? I emailed them a couple of days ago & this is what I got:

"Thank you for writing to us with your question. Unfortunately, we do not have a list of gluten free items for our menus at this time. Although, whenever visiting one of our restaurants, please feel free to request assistance from the restaurant Manager in identifying items on our menu that may meet your dietary needs. We make every effort to try to accommodate our guest's special requests, although it may be difficult for us to identify, with all certainty, items that are free from a particular ingredient."

Maybe your local one is more is willing to help.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

#5 Veronica2

Veronica2

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:14 PM

Why does everyone say Chevy's has gluten free? I emailed them a couple of days ago & this is what I got:

"Thank you for writing to us with your question. Unfortunately, we do not have a list of gluten free items for our menus at this time. Although, whenever visiting one of our restaurants, please feel free to request assistance from the restaurant Manager in identifying items on our menu that may meet your dietary needs. We make every effort to try to accommodate our guest's special requests, although it may be difficult for us to identify, with all certainty, items that are free from a particular ingredient."

I also have never gotten a gluten-free menu at Cheesecake Factory. They thought I was asking for a "free menu" :-/

Maggiano's gave us a Gluten-free menu but unfortunately we were glutened afterward (we were only one of two couples in the entire restaurant (right after they opened for the day), so not sure how that happened! We don't gluten 'easily' either.

Noodles & Company has always worked out well for us (their Thai rice-noodle offerings on the menu).

#6 Coleslawcat

Coleslawcat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:01 PM

Here is their gluten free menu. It's online.
http://www.chevysfre...gluten-free.htm

We went there Friday night and the kitchen manager came out to our table and talked to me. We called ahead and he brought out gluten free chips for us made in fresh oil. They also had a nutritional information book that had all of their gluten free options listed in the back of it. They were super helpful and understanding. I felt confident eating there and didn't get glutened.

#7 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:19 PM

That's great. That person who owns those franchises in Missouri is willing to do that. When I emailed Chevy's main office(?), I got the above reply that they don't specify gluten free. When we go to Columbia for a game, its good to know I can eat.

LTES

#8 Coleslawcat

Coleslawcat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:53 PM

That's great. That person who owns those franchises in Missouri is willing to do that. When I emailed Chevy's main office(?), I got the above reply that they don't specify gluten free. When we go to Columbia for a game, its good to know I can eat.

I didn't even notice that menu was only for those franchises. Interestingly, I don't live there, I went to a Chevy's in Mesa, AZ. They did have a gluten free list of foods in the restaunrant, it was in the same little book their nutritional information was in that they keep at the hostess station. The hostess didn't even know it was there, but she pulled the book out to check just in case and there it was. As far as I can remember it seems to match up with the online one posted from the Missouri franchises, but obviously don't trust my memory.

#9 c12

c12

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:48 PM

Lonestar has a really long gluten-free menu.

Joe's Crab Shack is a good option.

A lot of the soups and salads at Panera are safe.

#10 CelestialNav

CelestialNav

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:15 PM

Carraba's Italian Restaurant has a Gluten-Free Menu. Their Gluten-Free Chicken Marsala with Garlic Mashed Potatoes is very yums. :)

#11 StephanieSD

StephanieSD

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:55 PM

Uno's Chicago Grill (what I grew up knowing as Pizzeria Uno's) has a gluten-free menu. Mary's Pizza Shack and Pizza Fusion also have gluten-free menus, but I'm not sure where their locations are outside of California.

I didn't really love Uno's gluten-free pizza, but I appreciated that their gluten-free menu extracted parts from the "regular" menu that were gluten-free, like chicken and fish dishes, not just a list of the gluten-free pizza toppings. And when the waiter saw me ordering off the gluten-free menu, he knew not to bring my salad with croutons. (I was testing him and didn't ask about them when ordering!)

Stephanie
StephanieSD

Gluten-free since 2003

#12 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:36 AM

Chilis now has a gluten free menu... it's mostly stuff they already offer, minus the bun, etc. We've eaten there several times and ALWAYS make friends w/ our server and explain my issues carefully. I've never had a problem.

http://www.chilis.co...Pages/home.aspx

The gluten free/allergy menu is on the left at the bottom.
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#13 katinagj

katinagj

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:12 AM

Thank you thank you thank you! Sorry I don't have any restaurants to add because I am new to the gluten free diet(2 weeks). But I LOVE olive garden and it has always been the place for my husband to surprise me going out to eat. I thought I was never going to get to eat there again and I had NO idea they had a gluten free menu!! So excited now, we are going out to eat this week :D Again thanks. And thanks to everyone elses suggestions! I am happy to have a list of places I can eat at without having to worry so much!

#14 mofo

mofo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:42 PM

Longhorn Steakhouse also has a gluten-free menu.

Ninety-Nine has a nice sized menu and they now carry gluten-free rolls.

HORRIBLE experience at Famous Daves, they have a gluten-free menu(kind of) online, but I didn't print it out, and when I
called they said they had it at the restaurant, when I got there it was an ingredient list with what had gluten in it. It was
totally unhelpful.

#15 nowheatpete

nowheatpete

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:05 AM

There's a new gluten free menu at PF Changs that just got released, things are slowly getting better for allergy/intolerance sufferers, our numbers are increasing :) http://www.marketwat...nk=MW_news_stmp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: