#1 Eliza13

Eliza13

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:07 PM

Hi everyone,

Just wondering how long it takes for the excessive bowel movements to cease. I've been gluten free for 10 days, or so I think...yet spent lots of time in the toilet today. I have cut out all dairy, corn and gluten.

One more q.....What colour should my stool be? It is always light brown. Should it be dark brown? Glad it is no longer floating since being free of gluten, but it is still somewhat broken (ie...not one long piece, but multiple pieces 2 inches in length).

Love,
Skar
Diagnosed by my doctor on the basis of symptoms only (May 2005). My symptoms include:

-amenorhea (all my life)
-high prolactin levels
-major bloating ("Are you pregnant?")
-swollen ankles
-possible DH: had the rash on my elbows and scalp (gone now)
-joint pain
-childhood arthritis
-all dairy allergy
-dry skin
-fat in stool sample (no connection was made at the time...I was being tested for something else...When the doctor told me of the fat I replied by saying: "I eat alot of olive oil". DUH!!!!)
-mother is allergic to wheat
-ravenous appetite: I eat for 5 people
-light coloured stool
-pass stool 7 times a day sometimes
-hemorrhoids
-get the hiccups alot (not sure if this is related)
-some reflux

I'm sure there are more that I don't recall at the moment. SIGH.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:18 PM

You can't expect things to clear up so fast.
It took me 3 months to feel alot better and then a few more to get normal again. Some people see differences in days. Others weeks...others months...so it varies from person to person.

It's also hard at first because there is a lot to learn and I thought things were gluten free at first that turned out not to be.
Things like lipsticks and products you put on hands, face, and head should be checked because they can easily get into your mouth. Gluten can be hidden in just about everything but you will learn what to look for so hang in there.

You may want to try some vitamins(i prefer liquid because of the way your body absorbs it)
Also taking probiotics and digestive enzymes may help a little bit too.

Whatever you can do to give your body a boost can't hurt.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#3 Ally2005

Ally2005

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 07:29 PM

Hi you sound exactly like I did at 10 days with the same concerns. On May 20, it will be three months since my diagnosis. I am finally experiencing steady progress. For the first two months my GI symptoms were up and down and are finally becoming more stable.I have found that eating fish, chicken fruit, vegetalbes, rice almong butter, rice crackers and a hot ceral blend is what my gut can tolerate right now. Adding other gluten-free foods have stressed out my system (red meat, icecream ect.) Kati is right. everyone is differtn, but the average seems to be between three and six months. BE PATIENT!

Ally

#4 Morrisun

Morrisun

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:18 AM

Hi, I've been gluten-free since April 4th of this year. For the first two weeks I was still having some cross-contamination issues, thus still having problems with diarrhea (my main symptom). After I figured out the problem it was about another two weeks until I was having "normal" bowel movements. I was misdiagnosed for over 10 years, so I never really knew what "normal" would be for me.

I'm on my 5th week of being 100% gluten-free and I feel soooooo much better. Good luck!!
Jennifer

#5 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:08 AM

Like Kaiti said, it may take a while to feel better. After 1 year on the diet, I am just starting to notice big improvements in my bathroom sessions (if you know what I mean). However, everyone will respond differently.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#6 Merika

Merika

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:08 PM

Hi,

Did you see Oprah last Monday? (I think it was monday.) It was all about poop, lol :) including what a normal stool should look like. See if you can find a rerun or get a tape....

Merika

#7 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 11:11 AM

That is funny B)
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#8 Eliza13

Eliza13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 12:15 PM

Ha ha. I was reading the Oprah link....Guess I'm out of luck as a celiac since I have the unhealthy broken stools. No long S-shaped stools in my toilet bowl!!!
Diagnosed by my doctor on the basis of symptoms only (May 2005). My symptoms include:

-amenorhea (all my life)
-high prolactin levels
-swollen ankles
-joint pain
-childhood arthritis
-all dairy allergy
-dry skin
-fat in stool sample (no connection was made at the time...I was being tested for something else...When the doctor told me of the fat I replied by saying: "I eat alot of olive oil". DUH!!!!)
-light coloured stool
-hemorrhoids
-some reflux

#9 Guest_vetnurse_*

Guest_vetnurse_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2005 - 05:02 PM

I have been gluten free for about 4 or 5 weeks now, my bowel movements returned to normal in 3 or 4 days (I was ready to have a party!) and I feel great, I feel like my old happy self again.

#10 Eliza13

Eliza13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 08:30 PM

I am proud to announce that my stools are no longer floating, and that they are not as broken as they were 2 weeks ago. I am also only pooping once a day now. This is amazing since I glutened myself on Saturday. My tummy is still big, but it is much smaller and the pressure is gone. Just hoping that this lasts (keeping fingers crossed).

Now if I could just get rid of this reflux....

-amenorhea (all my life)
-high prolactin levels
-swollen ankles
-joint pain
-childhood arthritis
-all dairy allergy
-dry skin
-light coloured stool
-hemorrhoids
-some reflux

#11 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:08 AM

I have IBS with celiac disease, so sometimes I have to go 4-6 times a day. Even then it still feels like I have to go but I finally refuse to go in the bathroom b/c I know I'm empty...can anyone relate?
If I have a really important event that day (of course it happened the day I sang at Carnegie Hall!) I take Immodium.
I still can't figure out why some days are like that and others I feel just fine and go once a day, but then I guess that is the nature of IBS, isn't it?

#12 Ally2005

Ally2005

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 04:17 PM

Hi I can relate. I have been gluten-free for three months and just as I think my stymptoms have stablized (D), I am going to the washroom 4-6x per day. I have made one connection though, pns. For the last three months I have noticed that I get D just before and for the first few days of my period. I have also noticed that if I eat too much at one time that stresses out my gi system as well. If things don't really get conistent in a month or so I am going to ask for food sensitivity testing. I do relate!
It's frustrating and annoying. I too take Immodiunm on a bad day.

Ally

#13 Ally2005

Ally2005

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 04:42 PM

I was also wondering how your doctor came to the conclution that you also had IBS. How long did you go undiagnosed and how long have you been gluten-free? Do you have other symptoms other than D?

ally

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: