arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

McDonald's Fries In Canada? Gluten-Free?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kaiess

kaiess

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:42 AM

I'd like to hear from the experts if McD fries are gluten-free in Canada. I'm just learning now b/c I think we've got a diagnosis on it's way shortly. I thought I had heard they were gluten-free and they were cooked in their own oil not contaminated by any other products but I was recently told by a mom she thought they were coated in flour. Do any of you Canadian's know for sure and do you eat them with no reaction?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:30 AM

Yes, the fries at McDonalds in Canada are gluten-free. They are not coated in anything. They are fried in dedicated fryers which fry only potatoes. I eat them from time to time and have no issues.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 KristaleeJane

KristaleeJane

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:05 PM

Yes Mcdonalds fries are gluten free if they are cooked in a seperate fryer then the gluten stuff. Every Mcdonalds is different so It does not hurt to ask them when you go in. From experience, depending on the location, and how busy they are so I always ask if they are using a seperate fryer for their fries. They are not coated in flour. Enjoy! :)
Gluten Free since Apr 14-08
Mar 08.....Blood work-Positive for Celiac Results were High (92)
Apr 08....Biopsy Results indicating abnormalities associated with celiac disease & Villi atrophy.
May-08.... Appendicitis
July 08.....X-ray indicates Degenerative Disc Disease
Symptoms that the gluten free diet has helped: All Stomach Problems, Bloating, Vomiting, Heartburn & D, Energy, overall feeling of health again, Migraine, Degenerative disc Disease, and Infertility.

#4 Yup

Yup

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:50 PM

I'd like to hear from the experts if McD fries are gluten-free in Canada. I'm just learning now b/c I think we've got a diagnosis on it's way shortly. I thought I had heard they were gluten-free and they were cooked in their own oil not contaminated by any other products but I was recently told by a mom she thought they were coated in flour. Do any of you Canadian's know for sure and do you eat them with no reaction?

I called Mc Donalds Canada about six months ago and they told me they are gluten free and are cooked in a dedicated fryer. New York Fries is safe as well.

#5 swimmer2012

swimmer2012

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

McDonald's fries are gluten-free? This is very bad news for me!!!! I've been eating a strict diet of fruits, veggies and meat for a month now!

#6 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

Old topic. But nothing has changed. The fries are done in dedicated fryers, shared only with the breakfast hash browns. They are at the front of the store, and are operated by the window crew (the ones who take your order and payment). Everything else is fried at the back of the store by the grill crew. It is physically impossible to mix up the fryers. They are in a different location operated by different people.

McDonald's are quite vigilant about keeping any contamination out of the oil used for the fries. It has nothing to do with gluten, although we do reap the benefit. If has EVERYTHING to do with making sure that the fries, a signature product, do not have their flavor tainted by anything else.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 Silencio

Silencio

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:48 PM

I didnt know they had gluten free fries. Now all they need is gluten free buns and I will be a happy man.
CANADIAN!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: