9 replies to this topic

#1 mle321

mle321

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:12 AM

I was curious if other people have found relief when accidentally glutened - I get pretty severe abdominal pain and an upset stomach - has anyone found an over the counter remedy that alleviates pain after the damage has been done?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jststric

jststric

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:56 AM

Not really, but I do take a daily supplement of acidophilus and if I suddenly feel I'm having issues I take a second supplement at the end of the day and it seems to help it all pass quicker

#3 jenngolightly

jenngolightly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:21 AM

I use Maalox to stop the severe cramping. It doesn't help with other gi issues, but the cramping eases. Sometimes it takes 2 doses. - I keep a bottle at work. :-)
Jenn
dx celiac 9/2007: gluten-free 9/2007
corn intolerant: corn-free 5/2010
nut allergy: nut-free 8/2010

#4 Martok42

Martok42

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:51 PM

What always helps me is a heat pack. the hotter the better, it really relaxes all the muscles and makes the cramps so much less painful.
I am just a Man, I do the Things I can.
There is capacity for I am human.
Cars and radios, television cods,
noisy animals Jam transmissions.
I will hear the noise, the standard feedback.
I smell the cheetoes, thats just how it goes.

AND THEN THE NACHOS IN MY HEAD EXPLODE, YEAH!!!

#5 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:05 AM

Not sure if this would help, but I've read that sometimes, anti-inflammatory foods can help, a little. Fish oil, things high in omega fatty acids, olive oil, pumpkin seeds, vitamin e supplements. Nightshades, and foods high in dairy and sugar, seem to have the opposite effect (you can google anti-inflammatory foods and find all sorts of info. on-line. Just have to wade through it to find the reliable information)

My husband has pretty bad allergies, and was told by his doctor that anything that involves inflammation as part of the 'reaction' can be helped by these types of foods. My hubby started taking these, and it made a huge difference. I've been wondering if it might work for me if I got glutened, ya know?

That said...don't know if it would work for us celiac folk, as we can't really digest well once we've been glutened. But hey, probably wouldn't hurt, yes?

I was curious if other people have found relief when accidentally glutened - I get pretty severe abdominal pain and an upset stomach - has anyone found an over the counter remedy that alleviates pain after the damage has been done?

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#6 passionfruit877

passionfruit877

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:56 AM

Sometimes I get stomach cramps and pain and I use Roliads (one of the mint kinds) and if it is really bad I use heat.It helps relax the muscles. Sometimes I get a really hot shower.

#7 Nor_TX

Nor_TX

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:10 PM

I take a really hot bath and relax in it for about 20 minutes... the pain is usually gone or at least tolerable. I use Tylenol and Simethicone to help relieve the gas pains.
Gluten Intolerance, Colitis, IBS, Lactose and Casein Intolerance, Gastro-Paresis, GERD, Arthritis. Taking Remicade and Asacol, 2 Prilosec/day among other meds. Officially a senior citizen! New knee is doing well.. now about that other knee...

Food is in my dreams and in my nightmares!

#8 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:20 PM

I take pepto bismal liquid, name brand, for the pain. I do not medicate the D at all.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#9 ShoreGirl

ShoreGirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:57 PM

Thank God Im not alone! Im newer to this whole gluten thing and notice if I eat something I shouldnt it doesnt hit me right away. I get the rash 2-4 days after, feel like theres a cinder block in my belly for a few days, then maybe at about a week or so later the real pain starts! The abdominal shooting pain is almost unbearable. You think you have to go to the bathroom but not much happens just waves of shooting pain and sweats. Is this similar to anyone else?? Does it take that long to get it out of your system? Ive really had a hard time adjusting to all this. Its depressing to not be able to have all my favorite foods and eating out is a nightmare, yet a big part of my social life. It seems no matter how vigilant you are theres ALWAYS SOMETHING that knocks you off track. UGH. :(

#10 rdonn

rdonn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:58 AM

I use an herbal supplement of Quercitin and Bromelain. It can be found at natural foods stores. I get severe pain that feels like a toothache in my upper stomach and back. The herbal supplement mentioned above helps with the pain and healing. Sometimes I have a really bad reaction and it doesn't work as well for the pain then. I also take Tylenol but am afraid to take ibuprofen because of the warnings about stomach bleeding. I figure if I have ulcers already it may not be a good idea.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: