This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

What Are The True Risks Of Eating Gluten?

Magnus

Emme999 Enthusiast
You *will* become more sensitive as your gut heals. If you look at the mechanics of the condition, a Celiac who consumes gluten regularly has suffered extensive damage to the absorptive layer of the small intestine. The surface area drops by over a factor of 100. So, consequently, you absorb less gluten if you continue on an untreated track, and you have less of a response. Also, the destruction to the absorptive surface occurs MUCH more rapidly than the healing process. If you Glutenate yourself once a month, you are actually moving backward, not forward.

Now, when your gut starts healing, your absorptive area increases exponentially. So, you have a much easier time absorbing the poison. Hence, your reactions become quite pronoounced. -P

Well I'll be damned :blink:

I had been wondering about the whole reaction deal. Until I was consuming gluten in vast quanitities (gluten challenge) I didn't have any reactions to gluten (well - that I was aware of anyway!).

My gastro doctor said that my villi looked "flat" so ... now it's all coming together ;)

Thanks for educating me!!

- Michelle :wub:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lovegrov Collaborator

"You *will* become more sensitive as your gut heals."

This simply is not true for everybody. I've been gluten-free for more than three years and have not become more sensitive at all. I know others who are the same.

richard

westiepaws Apprentice

Hi! I have wondered the same thing you are wondering. When I was diagnosed, I didn't think I had ANY symptoms of celiac! I ONLY got tested because my mom was diagnosed!!!

Yeah, I knew I was fatigued, but having been a spousal caregiver for 3 years and widowed for 1 1/2, I chalked the fatigue up to that. I went on the diet somewhat begrudgingly.

WELL -- after I went on the celiac diet, my abdomen was flat again -- the celiac had been causing it to pooch out every afternoon!! My GI tract was calmer, fewer oddities and pain going on with the colon.

(Remember, *****I DIDN"T THINK I HAD ANY SYMPTOMS OF CELIAC AT ALL**** when I got tested -- I thought all that GI stuff I experienced, the pain, distension, etc., was just part and parcel of getting older. I'm 38.)

My energy level has improved incredibly, as has my mood. I have lost 10 of the about 25 extra pounds I had gained over the last 4 years (this is a good thing). My hair is shiny, not dry and frizzy -- this is happening from the base of the new hairs coming in, so it is not related to any hair products.

My nails are strong for the first time in my entire LIFE.

And probably the most amazing thing, my rosacea (facial redness/acne in adults) is almost GONE. I mean, GONE. And THAT is supposed to be an INCURABLE disease. I am comfortable enough for the first time in my adult life to not wear make-up all the time. (I saw improvement from the diet re: my skin, but an important factor, as well, was throwing out soaps, shampoos, etc., that contained gluten, soy and dairy. You would not believe how many personal hygiene products contain them -- everyone is marketing the "natural ingredient" aspect of their products.)

Now if I accidentally eat some gluten (or soy or dairy, as I'm allergic to all three) I KNOW it. Fatigue, GI problems, and I start getting itchy and breaking out and don't sleep well. I usually develop a bad mood, too! :blink:

I actually eat much healthier than I ever did pre-diet. That's in part because the three things I'm allergic to permeate prepared, pre-packaged foods, so I pretty much just eat healthy, real food. And I DEFINITELY indulge in allergy-free brownies and a cranberry sort of cobbler that are fast-n-easy, so I don't feel deprived. And for some reason, I really enjoy my food now and I want to share with others. For example, last week I fixed a gluten, soy and dairy-free meal one night for four girlfriends, along with a gluten/soy/dairy-free cake for the birthday girl who attended! They were all raving about the food, and took the leftover slices of cake home to their sweeties.

So, it's not so bad. Life is what you make it. I mean, after what I went through w/my husband's illness and losing him to death at 37 -- this diet is a freakin' piece of cake, you know? It's also a piece of cake compared to what my mom's dealing with, as a result of not being diagnosed as celiac until she was 64 years old.

My mom did not get diagnosed until she was 64 and she's got osteoperosis, fibromyalgia, neuralgia, irritable bowel, has had chronic depression all her life, has been anemic most of her whole life, along with a host of other stuff.

Continuing to eat gluten and anything else you are allergic to, as my mom did unknowingly for 64 years, can make your elder years a total nightmare. If you think $500 is expensive for one doctor visit, you should see my mom's medical expenses. The older she gets, the earlier she meets the limit at which her medical insurance is paying 100 percent. I am not kidding!

The other thing about medical expenses associated with diagnosis, etc., is that they are a bit at first, but they drop once you are diagnosed and they check your genetics, etc. I only go in once every 3 mos. to see my endocrinologist, and just got released to once every 3 mos. to see my nutritionist. That is nothing compared to my mom's expenses for treating all her celiac-induced health problems.

Okay, I've rambled on enough. You may want to find another celiac-friendly dr. in your area and maybe compare prices. Check with www.celiac.org or some other sites to see if they can give you recommendations of drs. in your area online, or by phone.

Hugs,

westiepaws

Archived