4 replies to this topic

#1 tfrankenberger

tfrankenberger

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:13 PM

How many of you have dealt with or heard of fructose malabsorption along with Celiac Disease? After a year on the gluten free diet and many tests that revealed my son was healed and all levels were normal, etc., he was still experiencing regular nausea, excessive burping, and fuzzy or heavy head, and fatigue. After much of my own research, I came to see that fructose malabsorption may very well be the cause. We are experimenting with going off fructose and fructans to see if the symptoms go away and stay away. Just curious how many others have dealt with this????

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Aletheia

Aletheia

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:59 PM

How many of you have dealt with or heard of fructose malabsorption along with Celiac Disease? After a year on the gluten free diet and many tests that revealed my son was healed and all levels were normal, etc., he was still experiencing regular nausea, excessive burping, and fuzzy or heavy head, and fatigue. After much of my own research, I came to see that fructose malabsorption may very well be the cause. We are experimenting with going off fructose and fructans to see if the symptoms go away and stay away. Just curious how many others have dealt with this????

I am curious to hear how this is going. We do not have a celiac diagnosis yet, but have had reason to suspect a salicylate sensitivity in our son-- salicylates are naturally occurring compounds in many fruits and vegetables (and is the active ingredient in aspirin) and some people can only handle so much before they become symptomatic.

#3 macocha

macocha

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:12 AM

My dd has fructose intolerance/malabsorption and my ds is just now going through the remaining testing for celiac disease.

if you have any questions about food associated with or to avoid let me know for the fructose issue.
Son officially diagnosed 3.18.10 with celiac biopsy results. age 12.

daughter, 10, diagnosed fructose intolerant 2009.

#4 jackay

jackay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:29 PM

I am curious to hear how this is going. We do not have a celiac diagnosis yet, but have had reason to suspect a salicylate sensitivity in our son-- salicylates are naturally occurring compounds in many fruits and vegetables (and is the active ingredient in aspirin) and some people can only handle so much before they become symptomatic.

I tested moderately intolerant to fructose but not all fruits. My doctor told me I can continue to eat the fruits that tested acceptable. I question that.

I would say I am also sensitive to saliciyates. I was getting such bad headaches after starting to use salycilic acid on a corn my my foot. I was taking a pain reliever that contained aspirin for the headaches. After over a week straight with a headache, it dawned on me that it could be caused by salycilates. I quit using the acid and pain reliever. The headache went away after a couple days.

I still have very sore muscles in my back that I feel is caused by salycilates, fructose or other food intolerances. I even question if I am getting cc with gluten. It is so hard to pinpoint. I am not able to give up all the foods high in saycilates and fructose because of so many other food intolerances. I'm still not gaining weight like I should be.

Over thirty years ago, my infant son was very, very fussy. When he was 11 months old, I put him on the Feingold Diet, which was low on salycilates and removed all artificial flavoring and coloring. We weren't feeding him foods with artificial ingredients, but most likely they were passing through my breast milk. After four days on the diet, he became a content baby. Whenever he got fussy, I was able to figure out what was causing the problem.

#5 macocha

macocha

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:57 PM

I tested moderately intolerant to fructose but not all fruits. My doctor told me I can continue to eat the fruits that tested acceptable. I question that.

jackay - what fruits did they say you could still have? My daughter has to stay away from fruit and veggies with a higher fructose content than glucose. So, we avoid apples, pears, etc. She can have the berry fruits fine, but we also sprinkle dextrose on those for a little extra protection.
Son officially diagnosed 3.18.10 with celiac biopsy results. age 12.

daughter, 10, diagnosed fructose intolerant 2009.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: