4 replies to this topic

#1 casnco

casnco

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 03:45 AM

Here is a question for those with DH. Has anyone noticed changes in hair texture or nails after going gluten free. I have been gluten-free since Novemeber. My hair used to be rather dry and frizzy, now it sliky smooth. Not complaining mind you, it is just such a drastic change. It presents somewhat of a styling delema. Also, my nails are becoming stronger and are spliting less. Again, not complaining, just wonder if anyone else has experienced these kind of changes and if there are any other changes I can expect.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 07:52 AM

Yep, I've noticed that too. Hair and nails are a good clue to a person's overall health. My nails are still showing grooves and pits, possible B12 defiency and the ends are still curling under, possible iron defiency. My hair has been sprouting and so far I have twice the amount. In the first year of gluten free every 3 to 4 months new hair growth was starting and I had short new hair standing up about an inch all over my head.
Laura
Michigan

#3 casnco

casnco

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 04:14 AM

mommida: Thanks for your responce. My husband thinks I am nuts. And why not he has seen some weird things happening to me since (or should I say before) I was diagnosed. I also have dry eye syndrom. I am hoping that goes away too! I would love to go back to wearing contacts.

#4 Marciatin

Marciatin

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 01:32 PM

My hair dresser was trying to help me figure what was cause my thinning and breaking hair. Since I have been gluten-free, my hair is growing back in and is thicker. I love it. It's nice when you really see results from being gluten-free. It makes you want to keep going!
  • biopsy at rash site, 4/29/05
  • diagnosis, 5/12/05

#5 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 02:40 PM

Hi -

My nails started growing in better and a split I had for about 3 years finally went away. I haven't been so sure about my hair - it seems to be coming out more lately, but I do have lots of 2 inch long hair all over my head (the rest of my hair is past my shoulders). But it is getting shinier than it was before.

Nice to have good suprises!

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: