99 replies to this topic

#16 mmm..gluten

mmm..gluten

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:35 AM

We could just drown him in the beer... ;)

There's enough of us! We could take 'im!! :angry:

Mmmmm, beeeer.....donuts...
Northern VA
"Diagnosed" April 2005 - currently playing with gluten-free diet

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:38 AM

Kamut? :huh:

Can Celiacs have Kamut? What the hell is Kamut anyway? :blink:

I think we should stick to toxic grains ;)

Kamut is a pasta wheat,...not safe for us
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#18 bean

bean

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:38 AM

:lol:

Thanks for making me laugh out loud, Mr. I'mNotGonnaBeGlutenFreeForLongAndYouCan'tMakeMe ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michelle :)

Positive blood tests 4/29/05 (tTG & IgA)
*Osteoporosis (at 32!)
*Heartburn/Reflux (*ouch!*)
*Lifelong battle w/depression
*Dental enamel didn't form right when I was little (cavities cavities cavities)
*Neuropsych analysis lists all sorts of learning disabilities - which may be attributed to brain injury from an old accident or may be from celiac, who knows!

Had biopsy May 11th, 2005 - villi are FLAT! :(
gluten-free since May 11th :)

#19 bean

bean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:40 AM

Thanks Kaiti :)

#20 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:46 AM

Thanks Bean! My four yr old twin boys are looking at me right now wondering why their mother is howling at the computer!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#21 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:47 AM

Hey mmm..gluten, if you're going to go, you might as well go in style, eh? LOL! :lol: :lol:

Karen
Karen

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

-- Victor Borge

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#22 mmm..gluten

mmm..gluten

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:51 AM

Hey mmm..gluten, if you're going to go, you might as well go in style, eh?  LOL! :lol:  :lol:

Karen

Take off, eh? You know I was thinking the same thing, eh? Might as well go out with a Coffee Crisp and a cup o Horton's finest, eh?

:)

BTW - checked my stash last night...Coffee Crisps are NOT gluten-free.. :(
Northern VA
"Diagnosed" April 2005 - currently playing with gluten-free diet

#23 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:57 AM

I bought some whole grain Kamut a couple of years ago. I was intimidated by how big of a grain it is! Like four times the size of a rice grain. Never ate any of it. I had Kamut bread but preferred Spelt bread to it. Supposed to be really healthy, but not for us. It's an ancient version of wheat.

Beer would be ok, but he'd enjoy it way too much... (I know I would! Death by beer!!!)

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#24 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 10:04 AM

Aw, come on, don't be such a hoser, eh? ;) :D

Better watch it, I just might storm out of my igloo and come lookin' for ya! :rolleyes:

Karen
Karen

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs

Orison Swett Marden

-- Victor Borge

Tom Nansbury

Unknown

#25 scoutfinch

scoutfinch

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 10:47 AM

I'm sick and tired of comming to the board and seeing titles such as cheaters and so what if I ate gluten blah!!

Can we please get back to the topics here on the board. This board is for people who FOLLOW the gluten-free diet. Not people who want to cheat or who think the diet is bogus, they aren't getting anything out of the board. It is depressing having to come here everyday and defend why we SHOULD follow the diet.

It was my impression that this board, in particular this section on coping with the disease, exists to SUPPORT people who follow the diet, people who are trying to follow the diet, people who are trying to understand celiac disease and all its implications, including how other people cope or don't cope with it. Attacking people with a "follow the diet or die and don't question anything" attitude is neither helpful nor supportive.

#26 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 11:10 AM

I've enjoyed the humorous posts in this topic but wanted to ask a question: AGAINST WHOM OR WHAT DO 'CHEATERS' BELIEVE THEY ARE CHEATING?

THEIR DOCTORS? Some of us had to work REALLY hard to teach our docs about celiac and/or convince them that celiac is a real disease. I really doubt most of those docs care whether we 'cheat'.

THE GLUTEN RESTRICTIONS? That's kinda like reading a label that warns of poisonous ingredients and then ignoring that information while consuming the substance. However, with soooo many silly 'weight loss diet rules' which can be created by anyone who wants to write a diet book and 'nutritional guidelines' which change from month to month and research study to study, people may believe they are 'cheating' anytime they eat any food. There's so much conflicting 'diet' info that gluten restrictions may seem like more silly diet rules.

THEMSELVES? That's the only logical answer I could come up with. We are responsible for our own bodies. Only we can process information about what helps or harms our bodies and make logical decisions about whether to use or ignore that information. I mentioned in the topic with the cheating poll that those of us who suffered major pain from our celiac symptoms are more motivated to avoid foods which cause us pain. However, our overweight population (67% of us) choose to ignore pain from arthritis, heart problems, type 2 diabetes and other overweight related conditions. Likewise celiacs who don't suffer painful cramps, bloating and constipation/diarrhea discomfort can consciously choose to ignore discomfort from Rheumatoid arthritis, type 1 diabetes, lupus, MS and a whole host of other celiac related conditions ... maybe not today, but eventually.

However, ignoring important self-care info is the popular thing to do. Self-care is almost a joke within our society. Risking our health with abusive habits like smoking, excessive drinking, abusing drugs, overeating, reckless driving and even excessive restrictive diet and exercise is accepted as the norm. No wonder celiacs with no apparent symptoms have difficulty restricting themselves to take care of their health. Self-care is not popular. Our society values the work ethic ... push your bodies hard, use any habit or substance you need to work, produce, make money. Finally when your body wears out from all that self abuse, take it to a doctor to repair. Let somebody else take responsibility for repairing the bodies we abused over the years. We had more important things to do than to worry about taking care of our bodies.
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#27 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 11:15 AM

People all around do things everyday that are bad for them (just look at Burdee's list of risk behaviors)! This place is a board for Celiacs- those who do and do not follow the diet.

We all suffer from the same disease and deal with it how we want.

Cheaters know they are hurting themselves and we who do not cheat have to deal with them making their own decisions and either be supportive or leave them alone. You can't make people do things.

Those who do cheat need to be understanding that we only care about them.

This board is a place to talk about everything and is not a place ness and teasing.

Also, please remember to try and stick on topic and Celiac Disease related.

#28 lotusgem

lotusgem

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 11:27 AM

Who knew, how literally DANGEROUS "Dangerous Grains" could be???!!!

:o
No, seriously, this is a support group for people with Celiac. There is an infinite number of personalities and the responses will be different because each of us is so different. If someone cheats, he suffers whether or not he is able to recognize that. Maybe he will never get a clue, but as long as he comes to the group, he is aware of his condition and perhaps this could be a place with a positive influence. Because really, he is not the only one who suffers, but anybody that loves him will suffer as well if his life is cut short from the effects of this disease, if untreated. I think that we can manage to be inclusive and provide support for all who visit this message board.
Paula

#29 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 11:42 AM

THEIR DOCTORS? Some of us had to work REALLY hard to teach our docs about celiac and/or convince them that celiac is a real disease. I really doubt most of those docs care whether we 'cheat'.

That is a really good point burdee. I've heard stories that some doctors will tell their patients that it is ok to cheat. Also, some doctors are so horrible at explaining the diet that some people leave the doctor's office completley clueless, thinking that they can cheat or don't have to be careful.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#30 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 11:42 AM

However, ignoring important self-care info is the popular thing to do.

I have to agree with burdee and the point about self-care not always being popular. A lot of people don't truly want the best for themselves and others.

...but as I've said before.... All I have to do is think about intestinal lymphoma and carrying around one of those colon bags and I'm on track !
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: