99 replies to this topic

#61 mommida

mommida

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:43 AM

The mmm...gluten "incident" happened because it needed to happen. Newbies have got to go through having their complete lifestyle changed. Symptomatic or not. Positive for life. You can never just pop a snack in your face without checking for ingredients.
Some people are going to handle it differently. It was out of control, but the controversy made me realise some of the feelings I have for others. How much I respect and care for the people here. How a person has to live this experience to understand what it is really like. I can understand someone feeling angry about this, and I can forgive them for lashing out.

Peace!
Laura

If you haven't guessed by now I have a very dry sense of humor. (Blame it on Monty Python.)
Michigan

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#62 Guest_gillian502_*

Guest_gillian502_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:52 AM

True, a lifestyle is exactly right.

#63 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:55 AM

I like to call it a treatment. The treatment for Celiac Disease is a gluten-free diet......
By just calling it a diet, it seems to invoke thoughts of "it's a fad thing", I think...

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#64 kvogt

kvogt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:48 AM

This thread is rather warm, isn't it.

Just a few comments...

For any given post, under the poster's name you will find a rating like Newbie, Member, Advanced Member, etc. This rating is assigned by the QUANTITY of posts, not the QUALITY of posts. Any posting should be judged on its content. I've seen some very astute posts by Newbies and some pretty ignorant posts by Advanced Members and everything in between.

Some folks post like they're paid by the word.

Some folks admit their ignornance and post anyway wasting the reader's time. There is a time to listen.

Some have highjacked a thread with their concern when they should have started a new thread.

Some folks are in a volitile emotional state with their family, friends, work, spiritual life, etc. and react, sometimes vehemently, to what is most likely innocence or ingnorance. There is some paranoia on this board.

This board is very feminine. As a man, I sometimes feel I'm in a room full of women. I've been tempted to start a Men Only thread. Men emote differently than women.

I'm afraid I've sounded critical. In fact, I'm not. In general, this board is healthy. Over the past 2-1/2 years I've seen a lot of people get the help they need. I've seen Newbies mature and become helpers, which is as it should be.

Peace

#65 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:00 AM

That was a nice post, kvogt. I don't think you came off sounding critical. Sometimes it is better to get a differing perspective and what you have shown me is that all of this pettiness is pointless. We are all here to help others. Thank you for that:)

#66 bklyn

bklyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:14 AM

Just my 2 cents worth - I've been following this thread and I'm glad to see that everyone is settling down and coming together. Since I was a newbie not that long ago, I relate to the person who found it hard to believe some of the "rules" of celiac disease. This is definitely a learning process and every day I get new info I use for my new "lifestyle." I'm just glad I have a place to "run" to when I get teary eyed and I'm feeling bad (a lot). It's great to know there are others who understand. Just think about how isolated someone was who was diagnosed before the internet!
Kathy C.
Ft.Lauderdale, Fl.

#67 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:57 AM

That was a good post, kvogt. It reminded me of stef the kicking cuty's posts about that book "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" (or something along those lines!!!) Men and women do voice their opinions in very different manners and what is good about this board is the fact that we, both men and women, have a common goal of getting healthy and we can be on the same wavelength no matter what "species" we are!!! :P

Karen
Karen

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

-- Victor Borge

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#68 Guest_gillian502_*

Guest_gillian502_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:13 PM

I personally don't see a real difference in how I would react to this disease and its treatment than a guy...but if some others do, that's cool. I'd be offended to be "shut out" if a thread was started for men only. In fact, that'd be the last time I'd visit here. Just my 2 cents.
Gillian

#69 Guest_~wAvE WeT sAnD~_*

Guest_~wAvE WeT sAnD~_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:28 PM

This is slightly off topic---but it relates to skepticism, sort of.

Something that bothers me, and this is coming from people that I contact in person, not anyone on the board.

It bothers me that people tell me that they know someone with celiac disease, but that particular celiac disease patients symptoms aren't as "severe as mine" and that they can "tolerate" more gluten. Of course, these people don't freaking realize that no matter what, whether a person is asymptomatic or not, THE INTESTINAL LINING IS BEING DAMAGED.

Grrrr. I wish that concept were more widely understood.

#70 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:49 PM

Based on living with my husband for 13 years and dating for 4 years before that, I have to say that I can certainly see how he and I would treat/react to this diet VERY differently. Whereas I like to learn, learn, learn (knowledge is power!! ), my husband would learn the bare minimum to "get by". Where I find it soothing to talk to people going through the same thing, he DEFINITELY wouldn't. Where I am very open and friendly, he is very private and reserved. Getting him to talk about his feeling is like pulling his eye teeth! <_< It took over 1 1/2 years of dating before he even said the words "I love you" to me!!! <_< He thinks he shows it by his actions, therefore does not need to tell me (yep, he's definitely from Mars!!!)

I guess the point I am trying to make is women are much more touchy/feely/talky about issues where men prefer to be somewhat "nonchalant" or "get to the point then drop it". I guess you can compare it to shopping. Women LOVE to window shop, go into numerous shops, etc. whereas men prefer to "go in, get it, get the hell out of there as quickly as possible".......

Sorry if I sound like I am rambling. My neck and shoulder pain/electrical shock/locking thingamajiggy kept me up until 4:30 a.m. and I had to get up at 6:30 a.m. so I am on auto-pilot right now....... :P

Karen
Karen

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs

Orison Swett Marden

-- Victor Borge

Tom Nansbury

Unknown

#71 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:15 PM

Having been on the board for just a few months, I have to say that when I came as a newbie, I found people to be very respectful and compassionate to me and I never found that anyone "berated" my newbie questions.

I think the most important thing is respect and compassion for all. A newbie's question shouldn't be answered rudely if it is a genuine question and a quest for new knowledge even if it's been aswered a million times on this board already.

What I do have a problem with though is if someone comes in with an "attitude"- you can be doubtful, you can cheat, you can be skeptical, but if you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all. It's one thing to express surprise, horror or shock and even disbelief, but do it without an "attitude".

I have found this board amazingly compassionate and I want it to stay that way. That's mt two cents. Beverly

#72 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:33 PM

Some folks are in a volitile emotional state with their family, friends, work, spiritual life, etc. and react, sometimes vehemently, to what is most likely innocence or ingnorance. There is some paranoia on this board.

This board is very feminine. As a man, I sometimes feel I'm in a room full of women. I've been tempted to start a Men Only thread. Men emote differently than women.

I think these two paragraphs sum it up nicely. If this board was mostly men I don't think mmm..gluten would have caused much of a stir.This is not a criticism but I have found that women tend not to understand dry, dark humor like mmm..gluten's and end up getting offended by it. The men on this board reacted very differently to his remarks. Some of what mmm..gluten posted pushed the boundaries a bit but he was trying to make light of a bad situation and some of us took it the wrong way. Men frequently engage in dry, dark humor and poke fun at each other but not in a hostile way. Women don't do this with each other. When they do it is with malicious intent. When they see and hear men do this they frequently take it the wrong way. I really have not seen many hostile postings on this board, conmpared to some other message boards out there, and find overall that this is a great place to be. We all need to think just a few seconds more before we hit the Reply button sometimes.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#73 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:44 PM

I respectfully have to disagree. I can be as sarcastic and dry as they come without the malicious intent (my husbnand always says I'm more like a guy than most women ) and I realize that after awhile mmm...gluten was trying to be funny, but people have to remeber that we don't know each other. When we post we can't read each other's facial expression or raise an eyebrow to show that we are being sarcastic (emoticons help but it's still not the same). You have to choose your words carefully online (not you personally- the general "you").

But I agree with you too- this board is one of the best I have ever been on and I think that 99% of the people on it are genuine, concerned and compassionate.

#74 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:46 PM

I agree Laura,

In "real life" I have a very dry sarcastic sense of humor and mmm..gluten had me rolling on the floor with his comments. I tend to leave my sense of humor at home when I'm posting, since I have had problems in the past with family and friends misunderstanding e-mails. I don't want to offend anyone, so I check it at the door so to speak when I am online (unless I am sending an e-mail or PM to someone I know understands that I am joking).

I honestly feel bad for mmm..gluten. He was joking (which is an extremely healthy way of dealing with a medical diagnosis) and people took it as a personal attack on our gluten-free way of life. I didn't see what all the fuss was about. People should have given him a bit of understanding, instead of chasing him away. We are here to support each other not condemn anyone for their personality...

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#75 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:49 PM

I have to add that I saw the humor in his responses as well. My family and co workers don't "get me" most of the time as I tend to have a very dry sense of humor. It's too bad things had to get so "complicated" here. This has been a really good safe place to learn and get support.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: