arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Food Allergies Impeding Intestinal Healing?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bean

bean

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 02:46 PM

Hey everybody,

I have a question: I have all these funky food allergies and I'm wondering if eating foods that I'm allergic to will prevent my intestines from getting better. Any thoughts? Even better - any references to medical literature?

I just started this gluten-free thing and I'm having kind of a rough time figuring out what has *no* foods that I'm allergic to in it. I'm wondering if I eat a gluten free mix containing say... eggs (which I'm allergic to) if it will slow or stop the healing process.

What do you think?

Any insight is appreciated!

- Michelle :wub:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michelle :)

Positive blood tests 4/29/05 (tTG & IgA)
*Osteoporosis (at 32!)
*Heartburn/Reflux (*ouch!*)
*Lifelong battle w/depression
*Dental enamel didn't form right when I was little (cavities cavities cavities)
*Neuropsych analysis lists all sorts of learning disabilities - which may be attributed to brain injury from an old accident or may be from celiac, who knows!

Had biopsy May 11th, 2005 - villi are FLAT! :(
gluten-free since May 11th :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Eliza13

Eliza13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 03:28 PM

I'm wondering the same thing. Anyone know any good links with info on how to heal the intestine faster? I'm tired of the bloating and of living on the toilet.
Diagnosed by my doctor on the basis of symptoms only (May 2005). My symptoms include:

-amenorhea (all my life)
-high prolactin levels
-major bloating ("Are you pregnant?")
-swollen ankles
-possible DH: had the rash on my elbows and scalp (gone now)
-joint pain
-childhood arthritis
-all dairy allergy
-dry skin
-fat in stool sample (no connection was made at the time...I was being tested for something else...When the doctor told me of the fat I replied by saying: "I eat alot of olive oil". DUH!!!!)
-mother is allergic to wheat
-ravenous appetite: I eat for 5 people
-light coloured stool
-pass stool 7 times a day sometimes
-hemorrhoids
-get the hiccups alot (not sure if this is related)
-some reflux

I'm sure there are more that I don't recall at the moment. SIGH.

#3 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 03:40 PM

Umm...the Specific Carbohydrate Diet might work, but that's essentially the elimination of processed foods. That's probably the best thing you can do for your body. ;)

http://www.glutenfre...indpost&p=25045

#4 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 12:03 PM

I tested my egg allergy to see if it went away with healing, and the answer is "no". A great big emphatic NO!!! How depressing it was for me!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#5 Eliza13

Eliza13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 12:15 PM

I think that I am having trouble with starches, which is kind of scary. I'm hoping that this goes away soon b/c I don't want to starve. There aren't many options left at this point...even rice is bothering me. SIGH.
Diagnosed by my doctor on the basis of symptoms only (May 2005). My symptoms include:

-amenorhea (all my life)
-high prolactin levels
-major bloating ("Are you pregnant?")
-swollen ankles
-possible DH: had the rash on my elbows and scalp (gone now)
-joint pain
-childhood arthritis
-all dairy allergy
-dry skin
-fat in stool sample (no connection was made at the time...I was being tested for something else...When the doctor told me of the fat I replied by saying: "I eat alot of olive oil". DUH!!!!)
-mother is allergic to wheat
-ravenous appetite: I eat for 5 people
-light coloured stool
-pass stool 7 times a day sometimes
-hemorrhoids
-get the hiccups alot (not sure if this is related)
-some reflux

I'm sure there are more that I don't recall at the moment. SIGH.

#6 Merika

Merika

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:01 PM

Hi Michelle,

I have been wondering the same thing! If you find out, let me know please :)

I tested allergic to nearly every food I eat. I've eliminated some and restricted others, and ignored the rest. I figure, I gotta eat something, right? Even if it might slow healing, I need the nutrients in the food, and my tummy will just have to be somewhat annoyed at times.

I am hoping, that by eliminating gluten, my body will start to heal itself regardless of what else I eat. It would probably be better if I could avoid the things that I test allergic to, but I would be left with almost nothing. I am also hoping that if I retest in a year, some of the allergies will have disappeared - because my gut has healed somewhat and the offending molecules will no longer be able to penetrate into the rest of the body and cause the allergy in the first place.

Merika

#7 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:48 AM

I agree with celiac3270... try the SCD ~ I have been on it for a month and 1/2, and already can tell I am healing well. :) It isn't easy, but the benefit is NO bloating... and HEALING!!!! Woohoo!! Give it a try ~ the book asks that you commit to it for a year. What is a year compared to a healthy intestine??!!?? :)
Buy the book ~ read it ~ and then start eating towards great health. :)

#8 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:19 AM

Kimberly-
Glad to hear you're having success with the scd. How long were you gluten-free only before you decided to do the scd? And you chose to do it because of slow progress, correct??
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#9 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:07 AM

I was gluten-free for about 2 1/2 years before starting it. :)

YES ~ very slow progress. I was TIRED of feeling sick all the time... being glutened by accident, not being able to eat dairy... the list goes on and on!! I was just NOT getting better or feeling good. I was swollen all the time, bloated, etc.

Since starting and being on the SCD, I am not bloated or sick. I don't get "glutened" because of the strick "legal" list. I don't eat out or eat anything questionable. I have been eating mostly plain meat, fruit and legal veggies.

It isn't an easy diet, but it DOES work and has made me feel SO much better. I also like the weight loss!! My wardrobe has double!!! I am wearing pants I haven't worn in years!!! :) Bonus!!!

#10 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:15 AM

Thanks for the info Kimberly--and glad to hear your hard work is paying off !! I haven't seen improvement for myself either, perhaps I need more time...could be. But I am also getting tested for other intolerances, and keeping scd in mind if things don't get better in a few more months. Gracias !
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#11 kvogt

kvogt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:14 AM

I tested positive for so many foods, I didn't feel like I could eat. So I opted to cut out about half - the half giving me the most trouble - for six months. After that, I'll try to add them back into my diet. Then I'll cut out some of the others. Hopefully, I won't loose too many permanently. Worst case, at least I will work my way there and not have to suffer cold turkey. This works for me. Maybe others will benefit from the same strategy.

#12 judy05

judy05

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:27 PM

Kimberly,

I ordered a copy of the book after reading your post and I was wondering does it recommend a lifelong commitment to this diet or are you actually "cured " after a year? I have given up most grains and the only thing I notice is that I feel bloated after eating potatoes. I'm not quite sure what i should be doing, I tested positive for 5 foods on the York test but potatoes wasn't one of them. :(

The one resolution, which was in my mind long before it took the form of a resolution, is the key-note of my life. It is this,always to regard as mere impertinences of fate the handicaps which were placed on my life almost at the beginning. I resolved that they should not crush or dwarf my soul, but rather be made to blossom, like Aaron's rod, with flowers-Helen Keller

Judy- Gluten Intolerant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: