24 replies to this topic

#16 Kaitiana

Kaitiana

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:39 AM

I am 24 and 3 years ago, my body started itching all over and I had a prickling sensation all over my body like bugs were crawling on me, but no rash whatsoever. For the past three years, I have been on an endless search from doctor to doctor, blood tests, skin biopsies to no avail. Everything comes up negative and doctors look at me like I am crazy, because I look completely normal. There is no rash, bumps, hives, to see how bad I am suffering.

I, too, suffered steadily-worsening itching without rash for years. I just wrote it off to generic eczema until I finally stumbled across celiac/gluten intolerance as a possible culprit for many of the symptoms I had been suffering. Since going gluten-free earlier this year, the uncontrollable itching has mostly resolved itself - but it took awhile. I didn't really suffer any visible signs of rash other than when I scratched so much that I irritated my skin, although the last few months before I went gluten-free I did develop dermagraphia where I could basically write on my own skin by lightly pressing on it. You can imagine how red and bumpy my skin looked whenever I had an itching fit!

At any rate, just offering my own experience to encourage you to stick with it for now. You can't really judge if it's truly helping you for a couple of weeks at least, from everything I've read. For some people it takes even longer.
Self-diagnosed gluten-intolerant February, 2012.
Starting eating gluten-free February, 2012.
Anxiety/OCD sufferer, symptoms much more manageable since giving up gluten; severe seasonal/year-round allergy sufferer, suffered from constant inexplicable coughing, symptoms MUCH lighter since giving up gluten.
Suffered other symptoms including uncontrollable itching, neuropathy, aches, pains, IBS, etc. that have all pretty much resolved since going gluten-free..

Now have WAY more energy, much more like my old happy self, and wouldn't trade this feeling for an unlimited amount of chocolate chip cookies (my former craving arch-nemesis)!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:52 AM

I ended up giving up ALL alcohol in the end, but vodka was the worst for me. I once came out in hives head to toe within 3 minutes of drinking melon vodka.

Wish I had worked it out then instead of 15 years later.

I am now looking forward to being psychotically vigilent.
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#18 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:29 AM

\I mentioned this to my cardiologist this week and he advised us to remove lectins from her diet as well. I have no data yet to report, but thought that might provide another avenue to consider.

Put me firmly in the lectin problem camp. They are a bigger problem for me than gluten. And responsible for itches which gluten wasn't.

ETA: You can learn more about lectins here:
http://www.marksdail.../#axzz27V82GF5M
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#19 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:24 AM

I would wonder if this itching is neurologic? and we know that the neuro issues tend to be the last to clear.

#20 lil'chefy

lil'chefy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

I have diagnosed DH, the skin's form of celiac. I get the bug under my skin itching sometimes with no rash. There was a while that I got it all the time. I too have hormone imbalance and am being treated for it now. Did you have all of your hormones checked, or just your cortisol? Was it saliva testing, as that is the gold standard? If not I recomend it!

#21 lil'chefy

lil'chefy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

I have diagnosed DH, the skin's form of celiac. I get the bug under my skin itching sometimes with no rash. There was a while that I got it all the time. I too have hormone imbalance and am being treated for it now. Did you have all of your hormones checked, or just your cortisol? Was it saliva testing, as that is the gold standard? If not I recomend it!

The itching has been so bad for me between the itching with no rash and the DH, that at times I have scratched with a sarrated steak knife, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :(

#22 JamieRmusic

JamieRmusic

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:00 AM

Hey guys,

It has been a while since the last post, but seeing that nobody has come to any conclusion I figured I'd breathe new life into this thread. 

I'm also suffering from this horrible itchiness, and I am on a strict elimination diet (fodmap) because I don't seem to get all the way well after years of poor dietary decisions. 
As some of you mentioned soy can be the culprit for many, and I'm currently using creamed soy as a fat source... I'm guessing that is the case for me. 

I'm still interested in hearing how you guys are. If you have found any solution to this, or if you are still plagued with it. I wake up many times every night and some night I just can't sleep for hours. Feels like there is an anthill in my bed.

Hope to hear from you guys!

Life is a wonderful ride. Don't resist, hide in your thoughts or live in alternative realities. Open your eyes or you might miss out. It is happening right now. 

Work on becoming the strongest version of yourself, so you can help other people become stronger and better. - Elliot Hulse

#23 eers03

eers03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:50 PM

Hi everyone,

I am 24 and 3 years ago, my body started itching all over and I had a prickling sensation all over my body like bugs were crawling on me, but no rash whatsoever. For the past three years, I have been on an endless search from doctor to doctor, blood tests, skin biopsies to no avail. Everything comes up negative and doctors look at me like I am crazy, because I look completely normal. There is no rash, bumps, hives, to see how bad I am suffering. Doctors are absolutely puzzled and don't have any answers. I've been on every anti-histamine, nerve drugs, psychotropic medications, etc and I am still suffering. I feel like my situation is only getting worse. I used to be able to function and carry out my day but it has become so bad, I am unable to work or do anything.

My sister is a celiac and I have recently cut out all gluten/dairy from my diet, even though the doctors said it wouldn't make a difference. I have not noticed any difference yet, so I am discouraged - but it has only been 5 days.

Has anyone else been suffering with this horrible itching all over and NO RASH?? I am going out of my mind and don't know what to do, where to go to get any relief!

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!!!! I need to get better and will do anything! laugh.gif

Meghan Reilly

I wouldn't get discouraged yet.  Five days--thats early.  I would give yourself a month or so to see if you have improvement.  Try lotioning BEFORE you get in the shower--your entire body.  Instead of a hot shower, take a warm one and keep it short.  Pat your skin dry instead of rubbing it.  Use shaving oil before applying your foam.  Use foam instead of gel.  Shave a little less often (if possible) Eat frozen blueberries and raspberries in place of your evening dessert/ice cream.  Stick with softer textures for your tops and pants when possible.  You could also have other food intolerances beside gluten.  You could have them in addition to gluten.  

Are any of your medications actually causing the itchiness???  We are in your corner.  Keep us posted.

Diagnosis 11/2012

#24 eers03

eers03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

Just noticed this is an old thread.  Never hurts to re-visit a topic when necessary!

Diagnosis 11/2012

#25 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:45 PM

For me, I had the lucky timing of getting what I believe is formication related to perimenopause (yes, look it up :-) it's like bugs crawling on your skin) at the same time I had intense all-over itchiness from undiagnosed Celiac (with no rash and only intermittent hives).  

Once the other perimenopause symptoms went away and I'd been gluten free for a few months, the itching subsided greatly.  Still happens once in a while, but I thought I was going crazy!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: