1 reply to this topic

#1 T.H.

T.H.

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:57 PM

I had a sheet of Nori seaweed and got glutened, best I can tell. Later, I was reading that many of the companies that process nori seaweed do it on machines shared with wheat products. However, I've been having a heck of a time finding information about what brands might be gluten free and safe.

Anyone know of any?

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 missy'smom

missy'smom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 04:02 PM

I had a sheet of Nori seaweed and got glutened, best I can tell. Later, I was reading that many of the companies that process nori seaweed do it on machines shared with wheat products. However, I've been having a heck of a time finding information about what brands might be gluten free and safe.

Anyone know of any?

Wow, there are so many brands out there. I don't even pay attention to the brand. I look at the label. What you want to avoid is what is called "ajitsuke" nori. That means "flavored" in Japanese. Same with teriyaki nori. Just purchase plain nori or one that contains only salt, oil and seaweed.

What else did you have with the nori? Maybe it was one of the other ingredients or maybe the roll was prepared on a surface that was cross-contaminated?
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: