arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Ringing In Ears Anyone Have This Ever And Often?What Was It?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Christina98

Christina98

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:46 PM

I am trying to follow a elimination diet that i started yesterday,I am trying to recognize on my own what else may be bothering me ( i heard this elimination diet can be more useful than Elisa Allergy tests)I am frustrated already as I do not know what to eat.I am avoiding dairy, gluten, corn, caffeine.....I took the few things that i feel may be a problem not sure.
anyhow I am already destraught as to what to eat during my avoidance diet.I keep getting this ringing in my ears and it could be anything but I just ate some carrots with artichoke, basil dip that I made and the terrible ringing began.
I dont usually eat carrots or artichoke and its healthy and not highly allergy foods so i cant figure out why.....I figured if anything my elimination diet will reveal dairy issues and maybe thats a big sumptom but I just started and I havent even got anywhere yet and carrots and artichoke is setting off the ringing????
any feedback from others who have ever had this

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 FMcGee

FMcGee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:01 PM

Ringing in the ears is called tinnitus. It can be caused by any number of things, and there are lots of ways it can be fixed. I wouldn't automatically assume that it's the food that made your ears ring. Correlation isn't causation. If my stomach hurts while I'm watching TV, it isn't the TV, you know? So I'd go to the doctor and have your ears checked out. My MIL has tinnitus and it drives her nuts, so I sympathize. I'm trying to get her to go to the doctor, too! Good luck!

#3 VickiLynn

VickiLynn

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:44 PM

The only time I've ever had tinnitus was when my doctor overprescribed a prescription medication. The ringing was unbearable and only stopped after eliminating the meds after several days. It doesn't seem likely that foods would cause the unusual reaction but throughout my 15 years of being gluten free I have had many weird and unusual symptoms that my doctor tells me he has never seen in other patients. Best to have this checked by a professional.

#4 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:55 PM

have you recently been taking a lot of analgesics? (aspirin, Tylenol etc?) or any other medications? These can cause tinnitus.

As can noise damage (mine started after an AC/DC concert in 1984 ;) ) Mine got worse recently while I was doing an 8 week gluten challenge. I'm waiting for it to stop screaming in my head, but it doesn't seem to want to go away this time.

I've read here on the forum that there may be some correation between tinnitus and B12 deficiency. I don't know if there is any scientific evidence of that, or just anecdotal.

#5 RollingAlong

RollingAlong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:09 PM

The American Tinnitus Association is a really good source of info. There's some very interesting research in clinical trials now for Magnestic Resonance as a treatment for tinnitus.

http://www.ata.org

My spouses's tinnitus seems a bit more variable now that he has changed his diet. He has linked gluten mistakes to "screaming T." But he has also had the occasional "bad ear day" when he's very confident that his diet was correct. These days seem to line up with big barometric pressure shifts.

#6 bluebonnet

bluebonnet

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:33 PM

i have ringing in my ears. i did a search before being confirmed for celiac and the main reasons i found were to be loud noises/damage, ms, celiac and medication reactions. i was very afraid i had ms because i also had numbness/tingling. when i found out i had celiac i kinda assumed its a symptom from that. its been 6 weeks and i am still dealing with it. i hope it goes away. an ear, nose and throat doc said he didn't see anything unusual but you should get checked to be sure! :)

#7 CecilyF

CecilyF

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:21 PM

I too have the ringing in the ears and asked my natural doc about it Monday. He thinks it is connected to my liver, which has/is congested, and thinks it will clear up when I get straightened out.

#8 curlyfries

curlyfries

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:11 PM

I've had tinnitis for years. It doesn't seem to have any correlation with my diet, as I have at some point eliminated most everything. ENT doc couldn't find anything. I've read that it's not unusual not to find a cause.
~~Lisa~~

"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."--Moliere

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."--Douglas Adams

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!--Amanda

gluten-free since 1/08
Posted Image

#9 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:14 PM

I've had it in one ear only for over two years now, ever since I had six-week bout of coughing flu :(
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:17 PM

I've had a 'whooshing' in my right ear for a couple of years now. I had a bout of vertigo right before it began. It comes and goes, but can be annoying.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#11 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:33 PM

None of us need moosic; we all make our own!!!
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#12 curlyfries

curlyfries

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:40 PM

I've had a 'whooshing' in my right ear for a couple of years now. I had a bout of vertigo right before it began. It comes and goes, but can be annoying.

Actually, so did I. But my ringing is 24/7 in my right ear. Very rare and short-lived appearances in my left.

None of us need moosic; we all make our own!!!

:lol:

Shroomie! Your psilly spellings are spilling into other threads!
~~Lisa~~

"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."--Moliere

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."--Douglas Adams

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!--Amanda

gluten-free since 1/08
Posted Image

#13 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:42 AM

I only get the ringing if I eat something which my digestive system has trouble with, but in those cases I know from the intestinal distress what food caused it. I have no doubt that the causes vary from person to person. I've read that certain nutrient deficiencies can also be involved.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#14 Lynayah

Lynayah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:00 PM

Thank you for posting this.

When I get really sick from being glutened, the ringing in my ears increases. I have had ringing as far back as I can remember. Since going gluten-free, it gets much worse when I have been glutened.

For most of my life I've been able to ignore the ringing. However, now when I get a reaction, it gets so loud, it drives me nuts.

I definitely believe there is a connection with gluten.

Gluten aside, I also believe there is a connection with being over-medicated -- the only other times I've had an uncomfortable level of ringing is when I've taken too much aspirin or whatever.

I remember my mother-in-law, after being diagnosed with lung cancer, telling me that her ears rang horribly while on chemo.

I hope others will post here. I know I am probably not alone in having a gluten/increased ringing reaction.
Gluten Intolerant with double HLA-DQ6. Pre-diagnosis: Weight gain, swelling, diarrhea, mouth sores, back pain, body aches, fatigue, muscle weakness, BRAIN FOG, runny nose, recurrent sinus infections, bruising, low white cell count (whole life), and more. My feet were so bad, I could hardly walk. Toward the end: Chronic Vit. D deficiency (almost no D in my body despite a quality multi-vit. each day).

There is hope! Gluten-free since Sept. '09, and I have my life back - I feel better than in many, many years!

Favorite quotation: "You must do the thing you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

#15 ilikepie

ilikepie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:36 PM

Cane sugar makes my ears ring. Depending on how much I eat, they can ring for days after wards.
Your body is speaking. Are you listening?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: