This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ringing In Ears Anyone Have This Ever And Often?What Was It?

Christina98

Christina98 Explorer

I am trying to follow a elimination diet that i started yesterday,I am trying to recognize on my own what else may be bothering me ( i heard this elimination diet can be more useful than Elisa Allergy tests)I am frustrated already as I do not know what to eat.I am avoiding dairy, gluten, corn, caffeine.....I took the few things that i feel may be a problem not sure.

anyhow I am already destraught as to what to eat during my avoidance diet.I keep getting this ringing in my ears and it could be anything but I just ate some carrots with artichoke, basil dip that I made and the terrible ringing began.

I dont usually eat carrots or artichoke and its healthy and not highly allergy foods so i cant figure out why.....I figured if anything my elimination diet will reveal dairy issues and maybe thats a big sumptom but I just started and I havent even got anywhere yet and carrots and artichoke is setting off the ringing????

any feedback from others who have ever had this

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

FMcGee Explorer

Ringing in the ears is called tinnitus. It can be caused by any number of things, and there are lots of ways it can be fixed. I wouldn't automatically assume that it's the food that made your ears ring. Correlation isn't causation. If my stomach hurts while I'm watching TV, it isn't the TV, you know? So I'd go to the doctor and have your ears checked out. My MIL has tinnitus and it drives her nuts, so I sympathize. I'm trying to get her to go to the doctor, too! Good luck!

VickiLynn Newbie

The only time I've ever had tinnitus was when my doctor overprescribed a prescription medication. The ringing was unbearable and only stopped after eliminating the meds after several days. It doesn't seem likely that foods would cause the unusual reaction but throughout my 15 years of being gluten free I have had many weird and unusual symptoms that my doctor tells me he has never seen in other patients. Best to have this checked by a professional.

Reba32 Rookie

have you recently been taking a lot of analgesics? (aspirin, Tylenol etc?) or any other medications? These can cause tinnitus.

As can noise damage (mine started after an AC/DC concert in 1984 ;) ) Mine got worse recently while I was doing an 8 week gluten challenge. I'm waiting for it to stop screaming in my head, but it doesn't seem to want to go away this time.

I've read here on the forum that there may be some correation between tinnitus and B12 deficiency. I don't know if there is any scientific evidence of that, or just anecdotal.

RollingAlong Explorer

The American Tinnitus Association is a really good source of info. There's some very interesting research in clinical trials now for Magnestic Resonance as a treatment for tinnitus.

Open Original Shared Link

My spouses's tinnitus seems a bit more variable now that he has changed his diet. He has linked gluten mistakes to "screaming T." But he has also had the occasional "bad ear day" when he's very confident that his diet was correct. These days seem to line up with big barometric pressure shifts.

bluebonnet Explorer

i have ringing in my ears. i did a search before being confirmed for celiac and the main reasons i found were to be loud noises/damage, ms, celiac and medication reactions. i was very afraid i had ms because i also had numbness/tingling. when i found out i had celiac i kinda assumed its a symptom from that. its been 6 weeks and i am still dealing with it. i hope it goes away. an ear, nose and throat doc said he didn't see anything unusual but you should get checked to be sure! :)

CecilyF Rookie

I too have the ringing in the ears and asked my natural doc about it Monday. He thinks it is connected to my liver, which has/is congested, and thinks it will clear up when I get straightened out.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

curlyfries Contributor

I've had tinnitis for years. It doesn't seem to have any correlation with my diet, as I have at some point eliminated most everything. ENT doc couldn't find anything. I've read that it's not unusual not to find a cause.

mushroom Proficient

I've had it in one ear only for over two years now, ever since I had six-week bout of coughing flu :(

jerseyangel Proficient

I've had a 'whooshing' in my right ear for a couple of years now. I had a bout of vertigo right before it began. It comes and goes, but can be annoying.

mushroom Proficient

None of us need moosic; we all make our own!!!

curlyfries Contributor

I've had a 'whooshing' in my right ear for a couple of years now. I had a bout of vertigo right before it began. It comes and goes, but can be annoying.

Actually, so did I. But my ringing is 24/7 in my right ear. Very rare and short-lived appearances in my left.

None of us need moosic; we all make our own!!!

:lol:

Shroomie! Your psilly spellings are spilling into other threads!

RiceGuy Collaborator

I only get the ringing if I eat something which my digestive system has trouble with, but in those cases I know from the intestinal distress what food caused it. I have no doubt that the causes vary from person to person. I've read that certain nutrient deficiencies can also be involved.

• 2 weeks later...
Lynayah Enthusiast

Thank you for posting this.

When I get really sick from being glutened, the ringing in my ears increases. I have had ringing as far back as I can remember. Since going gluten-free, it gets much worse when I have been glutened.

For most of my life I've been able to ignore the ringing. However, now when I get a reaction, it gets so loud, it drives me nuts.

I definitely believe there is a connection with gluten.

Gluten aside, I also believe there is a connection with being over-medicated -- the only other times I've had an uncomfortable level of ringing is when I've taken too much aspirin or whatever.

I remember my mother-in-law, after being diagnosed with lung cancer, telling me that her ears rang horribly while on chemo.

I hope others will post here. I know I am probably not alone in having a gluten/increased ringing reaction.

ilikepie Apprentice

Cane sugar makes my ears ring. Depending on how much I eat, they can ring for days after wards.

David in Seattle Explorer
I keep getting this ringing in my ears and it could be anything but I just ate some carrots with artichoke, basil dip that I made and the terrible ringing began.

Christina - One of the most common causes of ringing in the ears is drugs in the group salicylates. The prototypical example would be aspirin, but the main ingredient in Pepto Bismol, Bismuth subsalicylate, can also cause this annoying side effect. So can a number of prescription drugs commonly used in gut problems, like the 5-ASA anti-inflammatory agents, such as Pentasa. I've personally had ringing in the ears from all these drugs. Susceptibility can vary widely among users. The good news is the ringing goes away when you quit taking the drug, though it can take a day or so to taper off. Are you taking any of these types of drugs?

David

Lynayah Enthusiast

Cane sugar makes my ears ring. Depending on how much I eat, they can ring for days after wards.

That is very interesting. Around the holidays, I had a HORRIBLE time with my ears ringing. I was eating gluten-free (or trying to, anyway!), but I was also indulging in more sweets than usual, as well as more processed gluten-free foods.

I had a definite increase in ringing. I was also very sick for a time. I thought it might have been because I had been cross-contaminated or the refined gluten-free foods, but maybe it was the sugar specifically.

I appreciate your post -- I will need to pay more attention to sugar "ringing" in the future.

Augh: I really need to keep a better food jounal than I now do. I HATE journaling, but it would probably help.

Thanks again, ilikepie.

• 1 year later...
sandrala Newbie

I came to this website searching for any connection between celiac and tinnitus (ringing in the ears). Since I started the gluten-free diet a week ago, my long-standing tinnitus appears to be lessening. So odd. Reading these blogs suggests there may be a connection...but perhaps more from a nutritional standpoint than the disease itself...and then again, maybe not? Is there any real research being done on this subject? Thanks.

mushroom Proficient

Many people report it but I don't know about the relationship. My tinnitus didn't start until I was gluten free and dealing with other intolerances. Fortunately, only one ear.

IrishHeart Veteran

I just found I have anemia due to deficiency of folate and one of the symptoms of that is Ringing in the ears!

I had it WORSE when still consuming gluten--my head buzzed like mad..whooshing, etc....but now, it is just a low tone.

Maybe it will resolve after my folate level goes up?

• 3 weeks later...
ilikepie Apprentice

CANE SUGAR! Cane sugar caused horrible ringing in my ears. And it's not just after I eat some. It could be days later, randomly coming on in the middle of the night...it took a long time to figure out. Now that I eat zero cane sugar, I get the terrible ringing almost instantly after it's ingested. It lasts for days and days and days, even from less than half a teaspoon. The more I eat, the worse and longer it would remain.

Don't believe anyone who tells you this ringing only comes in the form of a disease, and the only cure is medication.

Good luck.

Archived