This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Celiac In Need Of Advice!

GFLindsey

GFLindsey Explorer

Hello fellow gluten-free friends!

I was officially diagnosed with Celiac disease on 2.5.10 so I am a newbie to this. I am still in need of an overhaul in my pantry and refridgerator to get rid of all my gluten-laden foods and was wondering if I also need to replace dishes, pots, pans, toaster, etc.?

Also, since I am so new, does anyone have any advice for starting out? I am sure there are things that I cannot even imagine which had gluten in them. Any advice/support would be greatly appreciated. I am so happy to have an online community for help during this new adventure.

Wishing good health to all!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Hello, Lindsey, and welcome to the board.

Try these links for useful information:

Unsafe ingredients.

Safe ingredients.

Open Original Shared Link If you don't see "wheat, rye, barley, barley malt, oats" on the labels, its not there, or hidden in "flavors, starches, etc."

Always read the label.

luvthelake21 Rookie

Also wanted to say welcome to the forum and you do need to get rid off all old cookware(teflone), get a new toaster, sifter, strainer and watch out for hair products espically at salons.

Squirrelflight Rookie

Also wanted to say welcome to the forum and you do need to get rid off all old cookware(teflone), get a new toaster, sifter, strainer and watch out for hair products espically at salons.

Just to specify.. as far as I know if it's metal or glass you can scrub it well but if it's Teflon coated, wood or plastic you should replace it. Welcome!

AmyT Newbie

I am new too, and there are so many helpful people here! Here is one of the good tips that I learned here. Don't go overboard on all the gluten free processed products out there. It can be very overwhelming. Start out with a few but stick to whole foods: veggies, fruits, chicken, fish, beans, legumes etc. They are much easier to digest and you know you won't get any gluten that way!!

Good luck you will feel better soon!

GFLindsey Explorer

Thank you all for taking the time to help.. Much appreciated!

gena Newbie

I was officially diagnosed with Celiac disease on 2.5.10 so I am a newbie to this. I am still in need of an overhaul in my pantry and refridgerator to get rid of all my gluten-laden foods and was wondering if I also need to replace dishes, pots, pans, toaster, etc.?

Also, since I am so new, does anyone have any advice for starting out? I am sure there are things that I cannot even imagine which had gluten in them. Any advice/support would be greatly appreciated. I am so happy to have an online community for help during this new adventure.

I would suggest not eating out to start with. Yes there are places that have gluten free menu's, however, untill you are sure about the preparation i would avoid them in general. I work at McDonalds and while yes they do make anything you want without a bun they do not change their gloves or the tongs that have touched bread. I also found that with my busy schedule its easier for me to buy larger amounts of mixes and when i have the time cook 4 or 5 meals worth of food and freeze it for later. You cant go wrong with fruits, meats and veggies but there are more and more health food stores showing up that have great gluten free sections. I found one near me that has donuts, chicken nuggets and lots of other goodies so i would get online and see what stores near you have.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bobbijo6681 Apprentice

Lindsey,

Glad to see you found this great website, and that you are on the path to being healthy again. I just went to see my GI for a follow up yesterday and he cautioned that you must even watch things like Ketchup and salad dressings for the possibility of Gluten. I know that probably isn't what you wanted to hear, but I would recommend READING Every Label for absolutely everything. As a "newbie" I understand where you are at and feel your pain, but I can already tell a difference in how I am feeling so in the end I think it will be worth all of this.

Good Luck!!!

StacyA Enthusiast

Hi Peter. That list for companies that disclose gluten is 3 years old. Do you know of a good, updated one?

- Stacy

psawyer Proficient

The list may now be incomplete, but none of those companies have discontinued their label policy.

In the time I have been involved, only one company has changed from "trusted" labels to a crap shoot, and that is Hershey. :angry:

Archived