3 replies to this topic

#1 janeybird

janeybird

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:29 PM

you all said that br. sugar was safe, does that also include white?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 seashele2

seashele2

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:19 AM

Yes, white sugar has no wheat, rye, oats or barley in it. It is just sugar cane. However, some less expensive brands of brown sugar might not be gluten-free. If a company uses molasses to turn cane sugar brown the cheap way, and if the molasses is also a cheap brand, it may contain barley malt. Stick with name brand brown sugar to stay safe.

Also check the ingredients on the powdered sugar you use. Brands made outside of the US sometimes use wheat starch instead of corn starch or potato or tapioca starch. If the source of starch or modified starch is not listed, buy a different brand.

Michelle
Western Washington State

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:16 AM

If wheat starch is used (I've never seen it) the wheat would by law have to be clearly listed. It cannot just say starch or modified food starch. It would have to say wheat starch.

richard

#4 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:57 AM

Someone once posted here that they found a powdered sugar that was not safe. I think it was the Walmart brand. To be safe you need to check every label. Even though something seems like it would be safe, it could always be processed on equipment that processes wheat, barely, etc.

That being said, I've never found an unsafe sugar. But then, I don't buy a lot of sugar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: