This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Oats

Maddiemo

Maddiemo Rookie

Hello.

I don't know about you but the hardest things to find to eat is for breakfast, I am so sick of horrible gluten free toast. I have just ordered some gluten free oats. Has anyone tried them?

I would like to know what sort off things people like to eat for breakfast? Apart from buckwheat pancakes and bread.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

I eat the same things I eat for dinner and lunch.

tmbarke Apprentice

Hello.

I don't know about you but the hardest things to find to eat is for breakfast, I am so sick of horrible gluten free toast. I have just ordered some gluten free oats. Has anyone tried them?

I would like to know what sort off things people like to eat for breakfast? Apart from buckwheat pancakes and bread.

I agree - I eat whatever I desire for breakfast.....and I'll even have eggs, bacon and toast for dinner too.

I come to work and eat my morning meal here.....it could be leftover pizza, spaghetti, taco salad (like now!), baked potato (loaded!)....the list is endless.

Break the rules of what breakfast food 'oughta be' and think outside the box a little...........it's an advantage of gluten-free living.

Otherwise....Chex and milk are good too.

ciavyn Contributor

Eggs, bacon, sausage, homefries, breakfast steak, ham steak, cereal, homemade oatmeal (I use bob's red mill), omelettes, egg cups (two minute jobs made popular by hungry girl), pancakes, french toast...the list goes on. Trust me, definitely the easiest meal of the day for me!

jststric Contributor

I can't do the eggs or dairy either so breakfast food is slim to none. As a pp said, I tend to do leftovers from dinner

Pac Apprentice

I LOVE leftovers from dinner, that's for sure the best breakfast, delicious and fast. :-)

If I make rice for lunch or dinner, I always leave a little for breakfast, then either add milk and fruits and boil it, or just warm it up with sweet chilli sauce and shredded cheese. If it's potatoes, I slice them and fry on butter with garlic and onions, can add shrimps or fish, or just shred both fresh and hard cheeses, whatever's in the fridge. If there's time, I just boil some millet and mix it with fruit (usually orange), add some raw cane sugar and cocoa (I'm a chocolate addict). OR banana with sour cream, honey and cocoa, cereals with milk/yoghurt, fruits and honey (and cocoa of course), fry some eggs with onions and bacon, or beans with some onions/peppers, tomatoes (fried on butter) and some salsa.

Or just find a bread that you like. I love tostadas and similar dry crackers instead of normal bread, with butter and sliced garlic and some herbal tea, it's the best "weapon" against yeast overgrowth. (not a good breakfast idea on work days though :P )

tarnalberry Community Regular

* scrambled eggs on rice cakes (takes ~10 min to prepare and eat, which is part of the reason I eat this - it's moderately balanced for fat/prot/carbs, and whoofing down your meal isn't terribly good for your stomach)

* fruit smoothie w/ protein powder (takes ~5 min to make, and I take it with me in a nalgene and slurp it down in the course of half an hour or an hour)

* frozen waffles (or homemade, frozen pancakes) with peanut butter

* leftovers (soup, stew, stirfry, etc.)

* hot cereal (rice/flax w/ fruit jam, millet grits w/ frozen blueberries, etc.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast

I also can't 'do eggs or dairy' or cane sugar or soy. So my favorite breakfasts include:

(1) peanut butter with chopped fruit or berries on gluten free English muffins; or

(2) Bob's Red Mill Mighty Tasty gluten-free hot cereal plus 1 T. rice bran cooked in hazelnut milk with additional almond butter and chopped fruit; or

(3) Gluten Free Oats (several varieties are available) plus 1 T. rice bran cooked in hazelnut milk with additional almond butter (or chopped almonds or walnuts) and chopped fruit or dried apples; or

(4) Buckwheat pancakes (homemade with chopped apple) with pure maple syrup and Earth Balance dairy/soy free margarine and chicken apple sausage; or

(5) Homemade quick bread (zucchini, pumpkin, spaghetti squash with nuts) with almond butter and sliced fruit.

If I have to eat on the run (very rarely) I will take a peanut butter and banana sandwich on gluten free bread and some fruit.

SUE

I can't do the eggs or dairy either so breakfast food is slim to none. As a pp said, I tend to do leftovers from dinner

ItsaDollThang Rookie

I don't usually eat breakfast at breakfast, never have. I actually prefer those types of foods as my last meal of the day. I have breakfast for dinner a lot or cereal as a quick snack.

In terms of breakfast foods I eat scrambled eggs, bacon or ham, omelets, gluten-free pancakes, gluten-free cereals. I haven't had french toast yet with gluten-free bread, haven't made decent enough bread yet, but I have some new Schar bread in the cupboard and I may try that this week. So far the only things I haven't been able to translate to gluten-free are pastries, English muffins, scones and the like, and sausage. Nothing on the shelf locally that looks gluten-free in terms of breakfast sausages so far.

I don't like to eat anything but fruit or yogurt when I first get up. My stomach doesn't handle major food well first thing, even cereal can be too much till 11 at least. Rarely before I went gluten-free I'd have a chocolate or almond croissant or a piece of almond coffee cake maybe, but gluten-free pastries so far have eluded me.

Wenmin Enthusiast

I really have a hard time with breakfast also. I usually have one of the following with a banana:

hashbrowns with ketchup

hashbrowns with scrambled egg on top

grits with slice of velveeta cheese

peanut butter and jelly with crackers(Glutino Gluten free crackers Cheddar)

peanut butter and jelly on rice cakes(Lundberg Farms)

pancakes (when I have time to make and freeze these ahead of time)

dry chex cereal and marshmallows as a breakfast snack (if I choose not to eat breakfast at home)

Kinninnik toasted bread with jelly (not a big bread eater b/c I don't care for gluten free breads)

frozen waffles with honey or syrup

Wenmin

runningcrazy Contributor

Hello.

Gluten free oats are my savior! I only eat them on weekends because I dont have time or energy on the weekdays to cook them before school! I love love love oatmeal! I cant have dairy either so I use a dab of earth balance, a small sprinkle of brown sugar and cinnamon, and some rice milk.I make a little mountain of oats and surround it with rice milk. I dont like it as one big mush!

I use bobs red mill's gluten free oats. they take around 10-20 minutes to cook, and are so worth it:)

JustLovely9216 Rookie

My FAVORITE breakfast (which I am enjoying right now!) is a PB&J smoothie. I always make two (one for me and one for DH) and I use about 1-2cups frozen strawberries, 2 banannas, 3-4T of chunky peanut butter, and as much skim milk as needed to blend (I used rice milk when I was a vegan and it works perfectly).

Super fast, super yummy, and I can take it on the go for my drive to work!

kristianne75 Newbie

I practically live on Honey and Almond Rice Chex. It is easy, quick, and even if I wasn't gluten free I would still love it. Unfortunately it doesn't stick with you all that long, so I always have to bring a snack for the 10:00 hour...yogurt, string cheese, or more Rice Chex to just munch on without milk.

Squirrelflight Rookie

I have a quick protein and a fruit most days. So like a payday candy bar or almonds or a spoonful of peanut butter and any serving of fruit. I'm not a heavy eater in the morning though.. I just like a little something and then a snack mid morning and an early lunch..

*Daniella* Apprentice

I cook plain oatmeal and I add berries, almonds and some agave nectar. It's tasty and very filling. :D I'll do the same with Arrowhead Mills rice cereal.

GFinDC Veteran

I made some mini muffins with the Betty Crocker yellow cake mix recently. Added a banana and an avocado and some pecans. They make a nice light breakfast. Sometimes I fry a pan of veggies, green beans, onions, whatever is handy and then stir in a couple eggs. Or eat leftovers from dinner.

If you search the forum for "breakfast idea" you will find several threads on it. People seem to like eating breakfast around here.

Reba32 Rookie

I'm a low-carber as well as gluten free, so breakfast for me usually is either left overs, or something with flax meal. Flax meal is great. Low carb, good for you, and high fibre. One of my fave breakfasts is hot pumpkin "cereal"

2 tbspns ricotta cheese

1 egg

2 tbspns canned pumpkin (not pie mix!)

whisk in a small sauce pan over medium heat for a couple of minutes, then mix in

1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice

1 pkt stevia

pinch of salt

2 tbspns milled flax seed

cook for another couple of minutes, then eat.

I also have flax muffin with an egg, or yogurt with something

Darissa Contributor

We love Hot Cereal from Bob's Red Mill called "Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal"...so good. My family came to visit from out of town, and they (all gluten eaters) all loved it, even the kids. It is good plain, or with honey or brown sugar, strawberries or bananas. It does take 5 min to boil water and than 10 min to cook. (If I don't have time to watch it cook...I throw it in my rice cooker and walk away and get ready for the day and its done in 15 min)I cook an entire recipe that way I have leftovers for the next morning. It is a mixture of brown rice, corn, sorghum and buckwheat (which is not gluten:). It is so much better than oats, or our old glutened hot cream of wheat we used to eat prior to celiac disease!

We also like "rice twice" by erehown, and the rice and corn chex. We like Uidi's gluten free bread. I also like Pamela's pancake and baking mix. We use it for our waffles and pancakes and banana or blueberry muffins. Very tasty. Fruit Salads with yogurt is good. Smoothies. Good luck!

Archived