#1 NE Mom

NE Mom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:47 AM

Hi,

My 9 year old son has had curved toenails since birth-they literally follow the curve of his toe downward. I think his finger nails also are a bit curved but not as pronounced. I'm wondering if this could be a symptom of celiac's or gluten intolerance.

I suspect he has some sort of food allergies based on his allergy eye shiner's. He is very thin and small for his age. He has had skin testing done but every thing was negative for food allergies. I haven't had him tested for celiac's.

His sister has 11 IgE food allergies (one of which is rye) but has tested negative for celiac's and had a clean biospy. I have Fibromyalgia and went gluten free about two months ago. My fibro symptoms have almost completely disappeared since I started the diet. I also had the blood work done for celiac's but it was negative as well as the skin prick tests for allergies. I also believe that I am lactose intolerant.

Does anyone else have kids with curved toenails and celiac's??? Thanks for any input you can give me.

Sam

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Squirrelflight

Squirrelflight

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:21 AM

Hi,

My 9 year old son has had curved toenails since birth-they literally follow the curve of his toe downward. I think his finger nails also are a bit curved but not as pronounced. I'm wondering if this could be a symptom of celiac's or gluten intolerance.

I suspect he has some sort of food allergies based on his allergy eye shiner's. He is very thin and small for his age. He has had skin testing done but every thing was negative for food allergies. I haven't had him tested for celiac's.

His sister has 11 IgE food allergies (one of which is rye) but has tested negative for celiac's and had a clean biospy. I have Fibromyalgia and went gluten free about two months ago. My fibro symptoms have almost completely disappeared since I started the diet. I also had the blood work done for celiac's but it was negative as well as the skin prick tests for allergies. I also believe that I am lactose intolerant.

Does anyone else have kids with curved toenails and celiac's??? Thanks for any input you can give me.

Sam

I tested negative for allergies on a skin test including barley which was giving me a huge painful blistery rash. Got misdiagnosed on that one.

anywho.. My daughter has curved toenails exactly like you described. She inherited that from her father. They have the same feet including the toenail oddity. :) He definitely does not have celiac or any food issues. She may. And I'm a celiac with normal toenails. :) Hope that answers that for you. LOL

#3 Pac

Pac

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:33 AM

Curved nails generally mean some problem. It can be a result of anything from injury to severe malnutrition. If it's since birth, it might be a permanent "damage", but might not.
I used to have very badly curved fingernails the last few years before going gluten-free. It started to improve immediately on the diet, after a few months, all my nails were straight. (I got the same curved nails this winter from a frostbite.)

#4 Squirrelflight

Squirrelflight

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:01 AM

Curved nails generally mean some problem. It can be a result of anything from injury to severe malnutrition. If it's since birth, it might be a permanent "damage", but might not.
I used to have very badly curved fingernails the last few years before going gluten-free. It started to improve immediately on the diet, after a few months, all my nails were straight. (I got the same curved nails this winter from a frostbite.)

My dds toenails have curved since she was born.

#5 MamaMeagan

MamaMeagan

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:58 AM

I noticed both my boys who had lots of food intolerances both had curved toenails. I just checked and my 4 year old does not anymore. My 2 year old, who has chronic loose stools I just took him off wheat. His are still curved....interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: