This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Previously Wheat Intolerant - Now Boom!

AlysounRI

AlysounRI Contributor

Hello All:

I am new to the forum.

About 5 years ago, I was diagnosed as wheat intolerant, and now I am a full fledged gluten intolerant person.

I kinda knew that. I feel tons better, I am not experiencing any problems with IBS like I did before and my energy levels

are very strong.

I am happy to embrace the new lifestyle and I was already conversant with and eating lots of alternative grains.

And I do a lot of asian cooking, esp. Indian cooking at home which is relatively gluten free aside from the breads.

So I am not devastated.

But I have a question.

With a lot of the alternative grains, esp. the breads, I am quite gassy and that was not a problem I really had before.

When I eat gluten-free bread, it tends to be rice bread but I also love buckwheat pasta or just straight basmati rice.

But the gassiness is a new thing.

I know that guar gum can have laxative properties but can xanthan gum do the same thing. I had not read anything like that.

I am thinking that some of you might be able to tell me if you had experienced anything like this before.

If you did, did it go away.

And how did you manage to make it go away if it did not go away on its own.

I am a great proponent of Indian cooking as one is able to really avoid gluten.

I am in the process of adapting my beloved chapatis (normally whole wheat flour and gram (ie. chick pea) flour to be buckwheat instead of wheat.

And when I have the recipe and proportions right I will add it to the recipe section.

In the meantime, it's very nice to be here among you all and if anyone is also in Rhode Island and would like to compare notes and likes to bake,

I am happy to reciprocate with some of the gluten-free things I like to make cause I am not a baker, esp. if it contains yeast!!

~Allison

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GF Traveling Dude Newbie

Try germinated brown rice. Its the only grain I can eat. Regular brown rice is problematic for some reason.

Hello All:

I am new to the forum.

About 5 years ago, I was diagnosed as wheat intolerant, and now I am a full fledged gluten intolerant person.

I kinda knew that. I feel tons better, I am not experiencing any problems with IBS like I did before and my energy levels

are very strong.

I am happy to embrace the new lifestyle and I was already conversant with and eating lots of alternative grains.

And I do a lot of asian cooking, esp. Indian cooking at home which is relatively gluten free aside from the breads.

So I am not devastated.

But I have a question.

With a lot of the alternative grains, esp. the breads, I am quite gassy and that was not a problem I really had before.

When I eat gluten-free bread, it tends to be rice bread but I also love buckwheat pasta or just straight basmati rice.

But the gassiness is a new thing.

I know that guar gum can have laxative properties but can xanthan gum do the same thing. I had not read anything like that.

I am thinking that some of you might be able to tell me if you had experienced anything like this before.

If you did, did it go away.

And how did you manage to make it go away if it did not go away on its own.

I am a great proponent of Indian cooking as one is able to really avoid gluten.

I am in the process of adapting my beloved chapatis (normally whole wheat flour and gram (ie. chick pea) flour to be buckwheat instead of wheat.

And when I have the recipe and proportions right I will add it to the recipe section.

In the meantime, it's very nice to be here among you all and if anyone is also in Rhode Island and would like to compare notes and likes to bake,

I am happy to reciprocate with some of the gluten-free things I like to make cause I am not a baker, esp. if it contains yeast!!

~Allison

AlysounRI Contributor

Try germinated brown rice. Its the only grain I can eat. Regular brown rice is problematic for some reason.

I can certainly try that.

When I eat just rice, I am just fine, somehow I think it could be the gums that is causing that.

But you know sometimes you just want a sandwich with (gluten-free) bread :)

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I know that guar gum can have laxative properties but can xanthan gum do the same thing. I had not read anything like that~Allison

Yes xanthan gum can cause the same problems.

Roda Rising Star

Is your buckwheat pasta 100% buckwheat? I have seen them in the store and they have wheat ingredients with them.

AlysounRI Contributor

Hi Roda:

Yes, my buckwheat noodles and gluten-free.

I made sure of that before I bought them.

I much prefer them to rice pasta and I like the nuttiness of the flavor too.

Thank you for asking.

~Allison

Raleigh333 Newbie

Hi Roda:

Thank you for asking.

~Allison

Do you use the Eden Organics 100% Buckwheat Pasta? I haven't found any other brand that is 100% and the package just went from $7 to $8 at whole foods. They're so much better tasting than they look but literally quadruple the price.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

Hi Roda:

Thank you for asking.

~Allison

What brand? I want to try some, but can't find any that are gluten free.

Archived