Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Does Turkey Or Eggs Have Gluten Or Wheat In Them?

• Please log in to reply

5 replies to this topic

#1 gfcfsf

gfcfsf

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:52 PM

Hi, I've been told that the amino acids and enzymes don't transfer the gluten/wheat in an animals feed into the products we would buy in store or at the market.

Does anyone have any info on this that if an animal ate a feed with gluten/wheat (or soy) would those ingredients end up in the turkey/chicken or eggs we eat?

Thanks for reading.

-Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:19 PM

Hi, and wecome to the board.

Meat and eggs (and milk) are gluten-free regardless of what was fed to the animals from which they came. No worries there.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 gfcfsf

gfcfsf

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:49 PM

Meat and eggs (and milk) are gluten-free regardless of what was fed to the animals from which they came. No worries there.

hi, thanks for your welcome and reply. That's great news THANKS! :)

#4 jackay

jackay

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:14 PM

I understand that meat and eggs are gluten-free but I've been wondering if there can be cc from what they are fed? I have no idea what animals eat. I'm just guessing that they are fed wheat and corn. I found out I am intolerant to corn, also.

#5 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:23 PM

Without getting into the details, the methods by which these foods are processed are such that cross-contamination is extremely unlikely. Food residue may be on the exterior of the animal, or in the digestive tract, but ample steps are taken to ensure that it stays there and does not get into the final product.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 jackay

jackay

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:20 PM

Without getting into the details, the methods by which these foods are processed are such that cross-contamination is extremely unlikely. Food residue may be on the exterior of the animal, or in the digestive tract, but ample steps are taken to ensure that it stays there and does not get into the final product.

Peter,
Thanks so much for this reassurance. We helped butcher chickens on a farm last year and the got contaminated.
Jackay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: