This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Does Anyone

laurie9141

laurie9141 Rookie

Hi, Im pretty sure I have celiac havent doen the scope yet gotta wait ot finda babysitter . in the menatime trying to go gluten free tried to do less and I def feel better w less... but not sure ow to celar out all together.. fir instance.. what fast food places? how do I order a burger that hasnt touched a bun or for anyone to understand what I wnat anyway.. is there a fast food list of stuff we can eat? how do I order from going out w friends spontaneously.. or get invited to a friends for lunch? I already find myself isolated for other reasons, now it crushes me to be more locked in or look a freak by asking about food.. I walk trhu the church making meals for a supper ans it smells so good.. we have to leave and not eat because I cant or look like an idiot bringing my own... ans sigh... who wants to dress up go out to eat and eat crap out of your own uninteresting lunch bag and smell all the good stuff around you... so I dont go...like others I hate this.. and add to the fact Im allergic to about12 major foods plus gluten Im lost...anyway done complainin just wanna know about the blood tests thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JustLovely9216 Rookie

I think you may just be overwhelmed and that your making things worse in your mind then they are in reality. I only say this because, being a newbie too, I just go over that stage myself. But I have found the reality to be much more accepting and filled with possibilities. Switching over to Gluten-Free cooking was not the disaster I thought it would be; other than still not finding a bread I like I am pretty thrilled with what I

kareng Grand Master

Hi, Im pretty sure I have celiac havent doen the scope yet gotta wait ot finda babysitter . in the menatime trying to go gluten free tried to do less and I def feel better w less... but not sure ow to celar out all together.. fir instance.. what fast food places? how do I order a burger that hasnt touched a bun or for anyone to understand what I wnat anyway.. is there a fast food list of stuff we can eat? how do I order from going out w friends spontaneously.. or get invited to a friends for lunch? I already find myself isolated for other reasons, now it crushes me to be more locked in or look a freak by asking about food.. I walk trhu the church making meals for a supper ans it smells so good.. we have to leave and not eat because I cant or look like an idiot bringing my own... ans sigh... who wants to dress up go out to eat and eat crap out of your own uninteresting lunch bag and smell all the good stuff around you... so I dont go...like others I hate this.. and add to the fact Im allergic to about12 major foods plus gluten Im lost...anyway done complainin just wanna know about the blood tests thanks

I've only been doing this for about a week. Had to wait until I finally got the biopsy before going gluten-free(gluten free). I've decided easier not to go out for a few weeks at least. I won't put myself into torture situations like watching people eat pizza. Regular pretzels have had to stay out of my house because I can't resist. I think that eventually, I'll be OK with being around food I can't eat but love, but not yet. Tell your friends, nicely, & take care of yourself. You have to be well for your child. Be a little selfish for awhile. Eat first & just get a drink. Get them to go somewhere you aren't as fond of. Good luck!

momofk&n Newbie

In regards to your blood test. When you go into the doctor for the blood test, it is important not to be on a gluten free diet. It can give you a false negative. The doctor should have your results back within a week or so. If antibodies are present, the doctor will want to confirm with a biopsy of your small intestine. If no antibodies are present, the doctor may want to put you on a gluten free diet anyway. Gluten intolerance improves with a gluten free diet, but will not show up on a blood test.

What other foods are you allergic to? There is a baking forum and every one may be able to help you come up with great alternatives. Also, you are NOT complaining. You are grieving. It is a loss and you will go through the entire grieving process. And that's okay. When I was first told I couldn't have gluten ever again, I laughed at the doctor. Told him he was mistaken, nuts, something. Then, after I moved past denial and into anger, I read that the gluten free diet is "a prescription for life".. I couldn't believe any one could think that way about our diet. But after a while, I realized it's true. Take as much time as you need to adjust and grieve. The positive attitude can come later. The peaceful acceptance will come later too. I have had this disease for 4 years. And at some point, I actually became grateful for it. Which may seem a little wrong right now, but if I hadn't have been diagnosed when I was, according to my doctor, I would have miscarried my youngest within the first few weeks.

And eating out? I order last when we all go out, that way my special requests are the strongest impression when that person leaves the table. I laugh and say that I am going to as difficult as possible. That usually makes the waiter or waitress laugh, and pay attention more to my food needs. Don't be embarrassed. It took me a while to get past the embarrassment and frustration. After a while, you get used to it and you find ways to communicate it. Also, by telling them first off that I plan to be as difficult as possible, the wait staff is a little leery of bringing the wrong thing, as I have already said that I plan to be picky.

Now, as to resources, this forum is a wonderful tool. Use it shamelessly and lavishly. Also, there are several cookbooks out there that cater to multiple allergies. If you post what allergies you have, I am almost positive that some one will have recipes and/or cookbook titles for you. There is also a gluten free registry. This is not an all inclusive guide, but is a grocer, bakery, restaurant, or even caterer has listed with them, you can look up by city what is available in the area. It also shows reviews of different place so you can see what places or really great and which ones fall short with out being poisoned. Here is the address:

Open Original Shared Link

I hope this helps. Please post again and let us all know how your tests went, and let us all help you with the transition.

Nor-TX Enthusiast

JustLovely9216, I am sooo interested in your reply. You say you ate at Fudruckers and Wendy's and PF Changs and had burgers and fries? Pleasee plese tell me how you did this? Other than a baked potato at Wendy's what could you eat at Fudruckers? I love their burgers and fries and PF Changs makes great hot and sour soup. How did you find safe foods.... Please help... I'm hungry!!

JustLovely9216 Rookie

JustLovely9216, I am sooo interested in your reply. You say you ate at Fudruckers and Wendy's and PF Changs and had burgers and fries? Pleasee plese tell me how you did this? Other than a baked potato at Wendy's what could you eat at Fudruckers? I love their burgers and fries and PF Changs makes great hot and sour soup. How did you find safe foods.... Please help... I'm hungry!!

Lol! Happy to!

At Wendy's I get a baked potato and top it with a small order of the chilli. I also ALWAYS get a frosty:)

At Fudruckers they were kind enough to clean the grill for me and also informed me they do have a dedicated fryer for the unseasoned fries that the onion rings don't touch. They served me a plain burger, with plain fries, and also on a salad plate so I knew they kept it seperated. The manager brought it to my table. I then used the lettuce wedges at the bar for my "bun" and topped with cheese and other goodies.

Red Robin is where I get my favorite burgers and fries...you just have to ask for everything with Red Robin's spice mix.

PF Changs has a seperate Gluten-Free menu which is nice. I also typically will throw in a "if you mess this up and I get CC I'll be leaving from the front of your restaraunt in an ambulance"...it helps:)

Eating out def. has a risk of CC, but I've been fine so far. I think it's all about being firm, direct, and letting them know the exact steps you need to have taken to keep your food safe.

Okay - hope this helps!

jenngolightly Contributor

PF Changs is wonderful to it's gluten-free diners. They have a special menu just for us! Unfortunately, the menu does not contain hot and sour soup. :-( I guess they can't make that without gluten.

But they do have lots of other choices, including gluten-free chicken lettuce wraps! They have to cook everything special with gluten-free soy sauce. The gluten-free food comes on a different shaped plate than regular food. This is wonderful - you know that your food is cooked correctly because of the shape of the plate.

Other chain places with gluten-free menus: Outback and Joe's Crab Shack.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

OptimisticMom42 Apprentice

Wendy's chili is gluten free, Uno's Chicago Style pizza place has a gluten free menu

CaptainObvious Newbie

NorTx,

I see you live in Dallas....I recently went back to North Dallas to visit my parents, and I found a completely gluten-free restaurant to eat at. It is called Laura's Bistro/Delicious-n-Fit....it was great to be able to order chicken fried steak and onion rings and get a delicious free chocolate cupcake for dessert. I am not sure if they are still around, as I tried to link the website and can't seem to find it anymore, but here is the address/contact info if you want to call and see if they are still there (if it is anywhere close to where you live):

930 West Parker Road

Plano, TX 75075-2378

(972) 599-1018

Happy Eats!

• 2 weeks later...
Nor-TX Enthusiast

CaptainObvious, Unfortunately that restaurant is closed. I heard about it and when I tried to contact them, the phone is not working.

I am going to try Fudruckers.. I miss their burgers and fries...

PF Changs sounds good too.... I also have to deal with not eating dairy and vegetables, so things are tough, but at least this gives me a choice..

Thanks all

jackay Enthusiast

I am too scared to eat out. It has been rather boring. I do occasionally go out with friends and eat before I go. Can't handle smelling pizza though.

If I ever heal from all my other intolerances besides gluten, I'll try eating out again. Until then it just isn't going to happen.

Archived