37 replies to this topic

#1 Glamour

Glamour

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:07 PM

What are some good gluten free salad dressings? I know trader joes has a few, and was wondering about other mainstream stores as well as some of the gourmet ones at Whole foods.

Are balsamic vinegars gluten free? wine vinegars?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Coleslawcat

Coleslawcat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:27 PM

What are some good gluten free salad dressings? I know trader joes has a few, and was wondering about other mainstream stores as well as some of the gourmet ones at Whole foods.

So far I've been sticking to Kraft because they are so good about labeling allergens I feel safe eating them. I'm having a hard time finding a good Asian Sesame dressing that is gluten free though. That was always my favorite prior to being diagnosed.

#3 Wolicki

Wolicki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:31 PM

I like Ken's Sweet Vidalia Onion Lite, and Honey Mustard. Most of Ken's dressing are safe.

Most of Annie's Naturals are safe as well. I like the Papaya Poppyseed.
Gluten free is not so bad! If you are new, hang it there, it gets easier!

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,989 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:40 AM

Yes. With the exception of malt vinegar, which will always be labeled as "malt vinegar," all vinegars are gluten-free.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,534 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:49 AM

I like Ken's Sweet Vidalia Onion Lite, and Honey Mustard. Most of Ken's dressing are safe.

Most of Annie's Naturals are safe as well. I like the Papaya Poppyseed.

I've been using Krafts & Kens. I hope I can find that Papaya Poppyseed sounds great!

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#6 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:36 AM

I like to make my own, and it's easy too.

Oil
Vinegar
Sugar
Pepper
Garlic Salt
Dried Mustard
Dash of Tabasco
Kraft Parmesan Cheese

Put in a jar and shake. Any type of variations can be made from this.

Yes, Kraft will always list any form of gluten. Most of Paul Newman's Own are gluten free, except the Family Italian (but always read the labels). They also will always list all forms of gluten.

Many gluten free products can be found by goggling the Product Name - Gluten free, as in "Salad Dressing-Gluten Free" or "Heinz Vinegar - Gluten Free".
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#7 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:55 AM

Salad dressings are really pretty easy and most are gluten-free. Of course wheat MUST be listed and barley will almost always show up as malt or malt flavoring. I've found VERY few dressings with gluten, and in my experience it's always been listed.

richard

#8 emc2623

emc2623

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:53 AM

jUst wanted to add my two cents as well. I am an avid salad eater, because there is not much room for doubt!Posted Image I like lighthouse salad dressings there are quite a few that are my favorites, they also have fruit dips that are gluten free as well. I have included a link hope this helps. Along with all these other wonderful suggestions.

HERE IS THE LINK
http://www.litehouse...ucts_faq.asp#q2

Gallbladder removed in 6/20/09
symptoms that brought me to the GI: bloating,chest pain,burning in the chest and stomach pain.
endosco. done found hiatel hernia and some non specific "Spots" and also GERD.
PHEW!!!!!!
diag. w/celiac disease @ 40 on 1/08/10 blood test positive.

#9 njbeachbum

njbeachbum

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:00 PM

i almost always stick to kraft and newman's own dressings, because they have clear labeling policies. the only dressings that i've seen that have gluten are the asian inspired dressings that use soy sauce. salad dressings are pretty low risk as far as i'm concerned :)
Joe

Dx Crohn's Disease - December, 1993
Positive Blood Test - November, 2007
Positive Biopsy - December 21, 2007
Gluten Free since December 3, 2007
Crohn's Medication stopped on January 17, 2008

#10 Lostfalls

Lostfalls

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:47 AM

Ummm I keep hearing that people are using Kraft Dressings - but the thing is Kraft Dressing use certain ingredients that don't always trigger the "WHEAT ALLERGY" warning such as: Artificial color, Artificial flavor, caramel color, Dextrin, Food starch, vegetable starch, modified food starch, and natural flavors ALL can be made from wheat or barley, and therefore they contain gluten. They can also be made from rice, potatoes, corn, or tapioca all of which are safe, so when you see any of those ingredients listed, call the manufacturer to confirm if that ingredient was derived from a gluten-free source.

A couple of "Wishbone Salad Dressings" are clearly labeled as "GLUTEN FREE" on the back with the Nutritional Information - those are the dressings, I will use. If it doesn't say "GLUTEN FREE" and it contains those ingredients and I haven't called to confirm for sure, I won't touch it.

#11 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:59 AM

Kraft has stated they do not hide gluten in any form, meaning they have gone beyond declaring the law required wheat.

That being said, in the US, many of those things you listed are often gluten-free. It is never a bad idea to call the manufacturer if you are in doubt.
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

#12 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:59 AM

Ummm I keep hearing that people are using Kraft Dressings - but the thing is Kraft Dressing use certain ingredients that don't always trigger the "WHEAT ALLERGY" warning such as: Artificial color, Artificial flavor, caramel color, Dextrin, Food starch, vegetable starch, modified food starch, and natural flavors ALL can be made from wheat or barley, and therefore they contain gluten. They can also be made from rice, potatoes, corn, or tapioca all of which are safe, so when you see any of those ingredients listed, call the manufacturer to confirm if that ingredient was derived from a gluten-free source.

Kraft has a very clear labeling policy (wish all companies did!). I feel very comfortable buying Kraft dressings (after reading the ingredient list, of course).
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#13 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,989 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:19 AM

I am very comfortable buying products from any Kraft brand. I know that if I don't see a gluten grain listed, it isn't hiding. Unilever is another huge company with the same policy--disclose any gluten grain by name.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

#14 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:48 PM

My favorites are Bolthouse Farms, they have so many ones, but are made with yogurt. They are labled gluten-free. Wishbone will lable gluten-free also. I love Maple Grove Farms of Vermont. Their Lime Basil is wonderful, all of their dressings are gluten-free. I'm not a fan of the Poppyseed.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#15 memayes

memayes

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

Most Annie's Organic Dressings are labeled Gluten Free. However, They Are Not Certified Gluten Free. I called the company and they state that the dressings containing gluten are made on separate equipment in a different area of the manufacturing plant. This helps me because I have had problems with products labeled but not Certified Gluten Free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: