This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Specific Carbohydrate Diet?

PreOptMegs

BRUMI1968 Collaborator
I am dying to make myself some sort of dessert. I really want to try to make ice cream because I am hoping my body can handle its smooth consistency better than it could something made from nut flour. Have you tried making ice cream?

I don't know if you've figured out a dessert since I haven't read to the bottom of this post, but applesauce with maple syrup is pretty good. I'm not on the SCD, I'm on the Paleolithic diet, which sounds quite a bit different since I'm not allowed beans, grains, dairy of any kind - easy enough since I've been off dairy for two years, but the beans I miss and the grains - I don't miss them but they sure make it easier to eat out or get something to grab at the store.

Anyway, if you're allowed maple syrup, you might try it.

• 2 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PreOptMegs Explorer

I have made ice cream before and it turned out pretty well. It wasn't quite as creamy as I usually like it, but the taste was there

GIJane Rookie
I've had a major improvement so far (6 weeks). I had D for about 2 hours a day, nausea, occasional vomiting, cramps and gas. I've had no D, nausea or vomiting at all. I've had cramps only when I tried some new foods that didn't agree (spinach, yoghurt, cheese, ground nuts). I'm down to 70% of the peptobismol that I started with. I do have collagenous colitis not celiac disease so I might be seeing more improvement than someone with celiac disease would.

Hi Corinne,

I have celiac AND microscopic colitis. I am considering the SCD, but am feeling a bit intimidated, simply because my diet is already so restrictive. That said, I really want to rid myself of my occasional (once every two months) bouts of colitis. They last for 3-4 weeks and are really unpleasant. I'd love your advice. Any chance I could email you directly?

Thanks.

PreOptMegs Explorer

I have sort of adapted my diet. I am not strictly doing SCD anymore..... I can't take the temptation at all of the birthdays, reunions, and get togethers of any sort. I usually have to sit there and watch people eat cake. They can all kiss it. Anyway, lately I have been craving things that are not SCD "legal" like caramel corn rice cakes, so I allow myself to have them 1-2x per week. I still feel really good. If I start to feel icky again, I will definately have to rededicate myself to SCD 100%, but right now things are well...

lindalee Enthusiast
I have sort of adapted my diet. I am not strictly doing SCD anymore..... I can't take the temptation at all of the birthdays, reunions, and get togethers of any sort. I usually have to sit there and watch people eat cake. They can all kiss it. Anyway, lately I have been craving things that are not SCD "legal" like caramel corn rice cakes, so I allow myself to have them 1-2x per week. I still feel really good. If I start to feel icky again, I will definately have to rededicate myself to SCD 100%, but right now things are well...

I am thinking about going on the SCDdiet. Haven't gotten the book yet and then a friend called tonight and suggested the Maker's Diet. Have been reseaching the SCD and it sounds like it would be good -do you have to do the baking? I haven't researched the Maker's Diet at all Thanks, LL

PreOptMegs Explorer
I am thinking about going on the SCDdiet. Haven't gotten the book yet and then a friend called tonight and suggested the Maker's Diet. Have been reseaching the SCD and it sounds like it would be good -do you have to do the baking? I haven't researched the Maker's Diet at all Thanks, LL

The SCD is wonderful. It really "cleans" your system out and makes you feel better than ever. I make all of my food because I don't trust anyone else to do anything just for the possibility of cross contamination. I don't do much "baking" per se. I only make the "goodies" like cakes, cookies, ice cream, etc. every once in a while, which is usually on the weekends. I don't need to gain weight, in fact I would love to lose a few, so I try to stay away from the calorie dense things like that on the diet. Let me know if you have any more questions, but I highly, highly recommend the diet. It is tough, but worth every bit.

lindalee Enthusiast

Thanks, I think the scd diet sounds very healing. Have you been on it long? Anyone else here still on it? I read up on the book on Amazon last night and sounds like it even helps cholesterol. The Maker's Diet sounds like it has grains. I'm off grains, dairy, soy and most corn and nightshades. I have a multiple glass yogurt maker but haven't used it for years- I don't even remember how to use it. What kind do you have? LL

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cindy Chabot Newbie

I find this discussion interesting. I just finished reading the book and it makes a lot of sense. My brother has been on the diet for about a month. I just don't know if I could follow such a restricted diet.

dlp252 Apprentice
Thanks, I think the scd diet sounds very healing. Have you been on it long? Anyone else here still on it? I read up on the book on Amazon last night and sounds like it even helps cholesterol. The Maker's Diet sounds like it has grains. I'm off grains, dairy, soy and most corn and nightshades. I have a multiple glass yogurt maker but haven't used it for years- I don't even remember how to use it. What kind do you have? LL

I'm not still on it, but I do credit it for helping my digestive system to calm down enough to almost feel "normal". My diahhrea is gone (except for ocassional mishaps) and I'm not having as many abdominal pains. I did the diet for about 5 weeks and I think I started it at just the right time...my intestines were starting to heal from gluten/dairy free and I think this just helped that happen a little quicker.

lindalee Enthusiast
I'm not still on it, but I do credit it for helping my digestive system to calm down enough to almost feel "normal". My diahhrea is gone (except for ocassional mishaps) and I'm not having as many abdominal pains. I did the diet for about 5 weeks and I think I started it at just the right time...my intestines were starting to heal from gluten/dairy free and I think this just helped that happen a little quicker.

I don't have pain my symptoms are more fatigue and brain fog and getting the bathroom right. I've heard about fall off? and C-Diff? does or did the diet bring this on? LL

• 2 weeks later...
Lexis Explorer

I never heard of the diet, what is it?

dlp252 Apprentice
I don't have pain my symptoms are more fatigue and brain fog and getting the bathroom right. I've heard about fall off? and C-Diff? does or did the diet bring this on? LL

Hum, I can't say that it helped a lot for the brain fog, but I did notice the other day that I'm not as tired as I used to be. I don't think the diet could cause C-Diff...at least I don't think so...not sure about fall off either. My doctor (who did test me for C-Diff because of the D) said that C-Diff is usually caused by antibiotic overuse...I'd been on TONS of antibiotics over the last 3 years. I'm sure there are other causes, she just didn't mention them.

I never heard of the diet, what is it?

It is a diet that was designed for people with Chrohns or other bowel/digestive issues. It is called "the Specific Carbohydrate Diet" (the book is called Breaking the Vicious Cycle) wherein you eat certain types of foods designed to be easily digested. It was designed by a doctor for Elaine Gottschall(sp??)'s daughter. Here are a couple of links for some info:

Open Original Shared Link

and

Open Original Shared Link

lindalee Enthusiast
The SCD is wonderful. It really "cleans" your system out and makes you feel better than ever. I make all of my food because I don't trust anyone else to do anything just for the possibility of cross contamination. I don't do much "baking" per se. I only make the "goodies" like cakes, cookies, ice cream, etc. every once in a while, which is usually on the weekends. I don't need to gain weight, in fact I would love to lose a few, so I try to stay away from the calorie dense things like that on the diet. Let me know if you have any more questions, but I highly, highly recommend the diet. It is tough, but worth every bit.

How did you make your yogurt? I have the 5 cup Salton one and don't have the instructions.

• 2 weeks later...
Cindy Chabot Newbie

Today is my first day on the scd diet. I hope that it helps me feel better. I have been tired and depressed and it sounds like my digestive track is to blame.

It will be a long journey, but hopefully worthwhile.

• 2 weeks later...
utdan Apprentice

Hello, I'm new to this diet and have some questions, and forgive me if my questions are already addressed as I only read up to page 8 or so:

Do any of you use a probiotic on the SCD diet? Is Theralac Legal?

What vitamin supplements do you use?

Is the "microbes" referred to in the book the same as candida?

I bought the book and tried eating as recommended but my energy level took a dive and I developed a bit of anxiety.

lindalee Enthusiast
Hello, I'm new to this diet and have some questions, and forgive me if my questions are already addressed as I only read up to page 8 or so:

Do any of you use a probiotic on the SCD diet? Is Theralac Legal?

What vitamin supplements do you use?

Is the "microbes" referred to in the book the same as candida?

I bought the book and tried eating as recommended but my energy level took a dive and I developed a bit of anxiety.

Dan, The SCD group is very helpful with all the legal diet info. There are several groups to choose from. I have learned alot from them. LL

• 1 year later...
Rob. Newbie

ok so I too am giving this diet ago, lots of people are claiming to lose weight on it. But I don't have the weight to lose! What are peoples experiences on weight loss with this diet?

AliB Enthusiast

Hi Rob. I have only been on it myself for 3 days, but from what I can figure it helps to balance weight, so those that need to lose, will lose, those who need to gain, will gain, and those that don't, don't!

I suppose it is possible that you might lose a few lbs initially, but I would think that would pick back up again as the body adjusts. I know there were a few on here who were able to finally gain weight on the diet after not being able to.

It is a good diet and is very scientifically sound. I am finding even after just 3 days I can now tolerate foods that I couldn't a week ago. I bought the book and it has just arrived today so I am slowly working my way through it.

It will take some getting used to but I will cope with it ok. I like cooking, which helps! I hope you are successful with it too.

PS. As this thread is so long, I started another one but so far no one has posted on it!

AliB Enthusiast

Sorry, my SCD thread was moved from this section of the forum to 'Other Food Intolerance and Leaky Gut Issues' for some reason.

Please feel free to post on there. This one seems to have outgrown itself!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hightop girl

Where do I get information about the Specific Carb Diet? At first I lost weight, but recently I have gained some back. I do not really eat any of the special gluten free pastas, bread or desserts. I would like to look into this plan.

AliB Enthusiast

Just Google 'Specific Carbohydrate Diet' and it will come up with links. The best is Elaine Gottschall's 'Breaking the Vicious Cycle' site. Also 'Pecanbread' - aimed toward kids with Autism and ASD as the diet is very successful for this, but helpful for all with many different problems, children and adults alike. There are a few other websites for more info and recipes, etc.

Those of us who are on it can give support too - as this one is a bit on the big side, I have started another SCD thread in the 'Food Intolerance and Leaky Gut Issues' section.

Hope this helps.

kitten37 Newbie

Well I ordered the book for this diet. Going to give it a chance. I've been looking for a way to cleanse that didn't involve lemon juice+honey+cayenne perrper..lol. Hopefully this will give my body the kick start it needs.

My only question is how "normal" a diet do you eventually work back to? Because for me there is a point when not giving your body anything is just bad for you as well.

AliB Enthusiast
Well I ordered the book for this diet. Going to give it a chance. I've been looking for a way to cleanse that didn't involve lemon juice+honey+cayenne perrper..lol. Hopefully this will give my body the kick start it needs.

My only question is how "normal" a diet do you eventually work back to? Because for me there is a point when not giving your body anything is just bad for you as well.

Not sure what you mean by 'not giving your body anything'. The diet consists of meat, fish, poultry, fats, eggs, and lots of simple carbs from fresh fruit and plenty of vegetables. You can supplement with a little honey and nuts, if your stomach can handle them, and some good, well-cultured yogurt.

There is plenty of food to choose from so there is no need to starve! If you check the websites and the book there are quite a few 'sweet' things you can make as treats with the available foods. Contrary to popular opinion we won't starve to death if we go without all the carb-based foods that we are used to eating. It is only in the 'West' that we consume this quantity of carbs. Unfortunately it is that quantity of carbs that is doing all the damage.

There are many communities around the world that eat very little carbohydrate yet they are fit and healthy and what is more, they don't suffer the 'western' diseases that we do. Those communities that have adopted the 'Western' high-carb, high-sugar diet get the diseases that go along with it.

I am not going to go back to eating the way I did before - that is what landed me in this mess in the first place. We only get out of our body what we put in. Most carbs and sugars are junk to the body. If we fill our bodies with trash and toxins then we can't be surprised if we feel like a garbage tip! They may look nice, and they may taste fabulous, but they are an insidiously deceptive temptation that is being dangled in front of us continuously like the proverbial carrot!

It is so easy to slip back into the old habits. I am trying to retrain my brain to focus on the healthy foods that make me better and will keep me well rather than the scrummy poison that is making me sick. Whilst a bit now and again as a treat may be ok, going back to the old way is a backward step. I know I am going to have to be very disciplined as past experience has shown me that if I start to eat carbs again, I cannot stop! That is one of the biggest problems with it - the more you have, the more you want. Oooh, it's very clever and very devious stuff.

kitten37 Newbie
Not sure what you mean by 'not giving your body anything'. The diet consists of meat, fish, poultry, fats, eggs, and lots of simple carbs from fresh fruit and plenty of vegetables. You can supplement with a little honey and nuts, if your stomach can handle them, and some good, well-cultured yogurt.

There is plenty of food to choose from so there is no need to starve! If you check the websites and the book there are quite a few 'sweet' things you can make as treats with the available foods. Contrary to popular opinion we won't starve to death if we go without all the carb-based foods that we are used to eating. It is only in the 'West' that we consume this quantity of carbs. Unfortunately it is that quantity of carbs that is doing all the damage.

There are many communities around the world that eat very little carbohydrate yet they are fit and healthy and what is more, they don't suffer the 'western' diseases that we do. Those communities that have adopted the 'Western' high-carb, high-sugar diet get the diseases that go along with it.

I am not going to go back to eating the way I did before - that is what landed me in this mess in the first place. We only get out of our body what we put in. Most carbs and sugars are junk to the body. If we fill our bodies with trash and toxins then we can't be surprised if we feel like a garbage tip! They may look nice, and they may taste fabulous, but they are an insidiously deceptive temptation that is being dangled in front of us continuously like the proverbial carrot!

It is so easy to slip back into the old habits. I am trying to retrain my brain to focus on the healthy foods that make me better and will keep me well rather than the scrummy poison that is making me sick. Whilst a bit now and again as a treat may be ok, going back to the old way is a backward step. I know I am going to have to be very disciplined as past experience has shown me that if I start to eat carbs again, I cannot stop! That is one of the biggest problems with it - the more you have, the more you want. Oooh, it's very clever and very devious stuff.

Sorry I probably didn't make my point correctly. It just sounded from other posts and from what I read on the web (MARKETING - only the beginning part they give you so you have to buy the book) that it was extremely restrictive at first and I just wanted to know how long it takes to get back to eating a full balanced diet. I have a massive distaste for "fad diet" books and just wanted to be sure this was more about healthy living for the disorder not trying to drop weight ASAP.

And to honest I don't eat any processed foods as is. I already make all my food from scratch sauces, pastas whatever, don't drink pops or juices that aren't freshly squeezed. I don't add salt or sugars because heart problems/diabetes run in the family I eat a very well balanced diet with fruits veggies and meat at the top. However with what gluten I do ingest still being a problem....bahh I can't for a coherent thought right now....I just get scared of books that tell you to do things that are NOT in any way healthy...Atkins, south beach ....the rest of the "diet" book world.

I think of the word diet as what you intake daily like my diet is...... Not I'm doing this new diet to lose X amount of pounds in a month.

kitten37 Newbie

I got my book yesterday and read thoroughly. I see what you guys meant this is not very restrictive at all. The only change I need to make to my current diet is making yogourt instead of buying and using dry lentils all the time instead of some of the time. I made a beautiful stuffed buttercup squash today (a favorite of mine). I'm so excited now!!!

Archived