This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Specific Carbohydrate Diet?

PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs Explorer

I just started SCD yesterday! I am so excited to feel awesome again, although two days in a row of pureed carrots isn't the best tasting thing ever.... but I am so happy to be eating so healthy again!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rachel--24 Collaborator
I just started SCD yesterday! I am so excited to feel awesome again, although two days in a row of pureed carrots isn't the best tasting thing ever.... but I am so happy to be eating so healthy again!

I started the diet today and I'm really excited too! I just bought the book but pretty much already studied the illegal/legal list from the SCD site. I have c-diff and candida so hoping this will help things get back to normal. :)

Guest Robbin

OK, I have been avoiding this thread, but I have not been well for the past week and it seems now that since going gluten-free, everything upsets my stomach. Foods I ate before with no problem are giving me horrible pain like gastritis. I am going to try this since I feel so rotten and also have the terrible hot flushes/sweats too since going gluten-free. Will get the book tomorrow since there is such positive feedback. One question, though do you still take supplements with this? I am so anemic and tired without vitamin supplements.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

OK, I have been avoiding this thread, but I have not been well for the past week and it seems now that since going gluten-free, everything upsets my stomach. Foods I ate before with no problem are giving me horrible pain like gastritis.

Robbin - have you given up dairy? I had to give that up a few days ago, and my stomach seems so much better.....

PreOptMegs Explorer

I am on my third day of the diet and feeling great! Just made my first batch of yogurt.... I love this diet, but I forgot how labor intensive it is. I peeled, diced and cooked 5 lbs of apples to make homemade applesauce. All of that work for what seems like 1 cup of product... lol!

Guest Robbin

Dingogirl, I gave up dairy except for cheese and I take lactaid tabs with that, but I guess its the next to go. I didn't eat much today and didn't feel like going to the book store, so maybe tomorrow. I have had a heck of a time with tea, of all things. I am only drinking herbal tea now. I suspect after reading about the leaky gut problem that I probably have that too. Might as well, huh? My youngest son is giving up the computer for lent, so now I get it more (bad me that I am) so I will investigate this further tomorrow. I am down to bananas, apples, sweet potatoes, herb tea, chicken, lean beef until I can get this kicked. Rice, corn, coffee, tea and about everything else I put in my mouth make me sick. I guess you have to feel worse before you get better. I am waiting to get my results from enterolab back. Probably in another week, so maybe I can find out a little more. Too many health issues at once. I am too consumed by this thing. I feel like its an alien or something inside me fighting really hard at the end to hang on. (OK, I am weird and a bit dramatic tonight) Thanks for listening to my whinnnnnnnneeee! My dog is even disgusted with me, I think. :blink:

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Dingogirl, I gave up dairy except for cheese and I take lactaid tabs with that, but I guess its the next to go. I didn't eat much today and didn't feel like going to the book store, so maybe tomorrow. I have had a heck of a time with tea, of all things. I am only drinking herbal tea now. I suspect after reading about the leaky gut problem that I probably have that too. Might as well, huh? My youngest son is giving up the computer for lent, so now I get it more (bad me that I am) so I will investigate this further tomorrow. I am down to bananas, apples, sweet potatoes, herb tea, chicken, lean beef until I can get this kicked. Rice, corn, coffee, tea and about everything else I put in my mouth make me sick. I guess you have to feel worse before you get better. I am waiting to get my results from enterolab back. Probably in another week, so maybe I can find out a little more. Too many health issues at once. I am too consumed by this thing. I feel like its an alien or something inside me fighting really hard at the end to hang on. (OK, I am weird and a bit dramatic tonight) Thanks for listening to my whinnnnnnnneeee! My dog is even disgusted with me, I think. :blink:

no, not the dog!!! :P Dogs are never disgusted with us! I have two and am constantly worshipped.

You are really having a time of it Robbin, I will pray for you. I still dont' know what leaky gut is....excellent that you get the computer more during lent! I don't think you are weird and dramatic tonight.....these issues DO become consuming because they DO consume us until we become better!!! It is a good thing you have that wonderful husband. You WILL figure this out, I know it. (Just as you seem to know there is someone wonderful for me... :unsure: (where is he? :huh:

Sigh. God must think we are very strong, to put this on our shoulders.....

Blessings -

Susan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gointribal Enthusiast

I can't afford the book but I think this diet would really help me. I am in so much pain all the time. What can I eat during the intro? I went to some of the website but I wasn't getting a clear answer, any help I could get would be great. Thank you

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I can't afford the book but I think this diet would really help me. I am in so much pain all the time. What can I eat during the intro? I went to some of the website but I wasn't getting a clear answer, any help I could get would be great. Thank you

Heres a link to the diet intro:

Open Original Shared Link

This is the legal/illegal list for the diet

CMCM Rising Star

Yogurt update.....I think there is another SCD thread going on where I was posting about yogurt, but now I can't find it. Anyhow, I made the coconut milk yogurt Sunday nite, let it go 24 hrs until Monday nite, and when I took it out of the yogurt maker it seemed totally liquid. So I refrigerated it until this morning, and now it's somewhat set. It think next time I'll use a bit more more gelatiin (I think this time I used about 1/2 a packet). I tasted a spoonful, and it's pretty good, with a very mild hint of coconut (which I like), not excessively tart. Actually, more similar to "real" milk yogurt than I thought it would be. Except for getting it a bit more solid, I can live with this. :P

penguin Community Regular
Actually, more similar to "real" milk yogurt than I thought it would be. Except for getting it a bit more solid, I can live with this. :P

Pretend that it's keifer :P

Nancym Enthusiast
Pretend that it's keifer :P

That's exactly what I do! I make smoothies out of mine, or use it as a sauce on berries.

dlp252 Apprentice

Okay, I've read so many threads I can't remember what I read where, lol. What kind of yogurt maker do you all have? I'm thinking of getting the little cheapie Salton this weekend...several stores in my area are likely to have it. I'm thinking I should start with that before I invest in a nicer one (Yogourmet I think, lol), to make sure this is something I'll actually DO. I also live alone, so wouldn't really need the bigger machine (I think, lol).

Nancym Enthusiast
Okay, I've read so many threads I can't remember what I read where, lol. What kind of yogurt maker do you all have? I'm thinking of getting the little cheapie Salton this weekend...several stores in my area are likely to have it. I'm thinking I should start with that before I invest in a nicer one (Yogourmet I think, lol), to make sure this is something I'll actually DO. I also live alone, so wouldn't really need the bigger machine (I think, lol).

Salton is fine. That's what I use. I might rig up something with a heating pad if I want to make bigger batches.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I love my yogurt maker...I cant remember the brand but its got little jars that you fill up and then put them in a round dome looking thing. Its cool cuz the yougurt is already in these individual serving jars when its ready to eat. I cant remember how much it cost....maybe 30 or 40 bucks. I ordered it online last year.

Ahhh..I found it.

dlp252 Apprentice

Thanks Nancy and Rachel!

CMCM Rising Star

I have the Yogourmet one which I'm really happy with, but I don't really think the technology is different with any of them. The Yogourmet makes up to 2 quarts, which is kind of a lot, and I think the Salton, which is very similar, makes 1 quart...plus the Salton is about $20 so it's less than half the price of the other one (which comes with a thermometer). Then there are the types which have individual glass jars.

I like making it all in one container because I like just dishing out a tiny bit each time....the individual jars are usually too much for me. When I lived overseas I used to make yogurt by putting it in containers and putting them between a thermal blanket with a hot water bottle near them, and that worked too! So whatever you like the looks/design of will do just fine!

dlp252 Apprentice

Thanks Carole! I think I've decided to try the Salton first...besides being cheap and small I can get it locally at several stores! I'm excited to try the coconut yogurt...I miss my yogurt sooooo much!

CMCM Rising Star

Does anyone know about flax seeds with SCD? I couldn't find any mention of it in the book, but I'm wondering if it has been mentioned elsewhere?

Nancym Enthusiast
Does anyone know about flax seeds with SCD? I couldn't find any mention of it in the book, but I'm wondering if it has been mentioned elsewhere?

Flax seed

Flax seed is illegal.

From Elaine: "lignin is found when the whole seed (and its stiff coat) are ground up. I think it is harmful for people just starting out on SCD. I think some bacteria feast nicely on lignin - it is tough like bark."

CMCM Rising Star

Flax seed

Flax seed is illegal.

From Elaine: "lignin is found when the whole seed (and its stiff coat) are ground up. I think it is harmful for people just starting out on SCD. I think some bacteria feast nicely on lignin - it is tough like bark."

Thanks Nancy. There goes another thing I like to eat down the drain. :o

PreOptMegs Explorer

I am curious... what are the ingredients in the liquid Splenda? I know sucralose is illegal, so is it just saccharin or someting???

dlp252 Apprentice
I am curious... what are the ingredients in the liquid Splenda? I know sucralose is illegal, so is it just saccharin or someting???

In the US it's Sucralose and maybe citric acid...I can't find liquid Splenda (there is such a thing in Canada I believe), but here in the US DaVinci Sugar Free Syrups are about the closest thing....some of the flavors do have carmel coloring which I haven't checked out...I haven't been using it though since going gluten-free.

Nancym Enthusiast

There are a couple actually: One is at www.sweetzfree.com and the other... I'll have to look. It's just water and sucralose with maybe citric acid as a preservative. Ok, the other is at locarber.com. Ugh, looks like locarber.com is out of business now.

Another possible option is Erythritol, if you want to avoid honey. It is absorbed and excreted primarily from the urine even though it is a sugar alcohol. I'm sure purists would reject it, but it doesn't give me any GI issues.

PreOptMegs Explorer

This is what the breaking the vicious cycle website says about sucralose.... and they label it as ILLEGAL, so please watch out with the liquid splenda stuff.....

Seth writes:

Splenda (sucralose) has been extensively discussed and it is not allowed for several reasons.

First, most splenda is packed in a filler called maltodextrin. This is a starch and is very difficult to digest. So it is not allowed on the diet.

Splenda, aka sucralose, is a sucrose-like molecule. Basically, they have added Chlorine atoms to sucrose to make it indigestible by humans. However, since it is not digestible by us, it does not get absorbed and passes down the GI tract. It is digestible by bacteria. So in essence, if you consume sucralose, you are sending down an energy source to the bacteria you are trying to starve. So sucralose is not allowed.

Question:

Like I originally wrote, according to the label it's a 0 carbohydrate product.

Seth answers:

Maybe I can be of assistance. One has to understand the laws of labeling in order to determine what they are getting. For instance, any product with maltodextrin in it can state it is a zero carbohydrate product - even though maltodextrin is 100% carbohydrate. Why you might ask? Because the human body cannot digest maltodextrin - but the bacteria in our guts *can*. The same is true with soy. There are indigestible carbohydrates (by humans) in soy products so they are not required to be in the Total Carb label... However, the labels do not have to include the carbs that can feed bacteria... and bacteria have an amazing ability to digest almost any carbon based molecule.. I know that you stated that you are a vegetarian, but if you want to try the SCD™ without too much interference, I would try an egg based protein powder instead of soy - otherwise you won't be on the SC Diet as long as you're eating a soy product.

From the LI listserve

Archived