326 replies to this topic

#16 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 01:30 PM

On the SCD, is jarred natural applesauce legal? I thought so at first, but now I am thinking not because of the no canned fruits thing. I had been eating a lot of it because I read a guideline that said applesauce and pearsauce should be the first things tried for fruit, but now I think they must mean homemade pear or applesauce.
I LOVE JESUS!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 01:41 PM

Judy 05---

Where are you going to start and when are you going to introduce brick cheese into diet? I don't have 'D' either, so just wondering how you will treat it. Thanks.
I LOVE JESUS!

#18 judy05

judy05

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 04:19 PM

I've been using cheddar cheese for over 6 months. It doesn't seem to bother me but other cheeses give me stomach pain. I guess I will follow the book for now.
This is all new for me. I am intolerant of egg whites, corn, and yeast. I also have to watch my carbs because of Diabetes, controlled by diet and exercise.

The one resolution, which was in my mind long before it took the form of a resolution, is the key-note of my life. It is this,always to regard as mere impertinences of fate the handicaps which were placed on my life almost at the beginning. I resolved that they should not crush or dwarf my soul, but rather be made to blossom, like Aaron's rod, with flowers-Helen Keller

Judy- Gluten Intolerant

#19 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2005 - 04:57 AM

I don't have a source for the dry curd cottage cheese either. I am going to try and buy the yogurt maker asap so I can at least use that. :) I have that cookbook, and the blueberry muffins in there with the almond flour are pretty good! I also made the ginger cookies. Yummy!! I had better stop... I am making myself hungry!!

#20 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 01:47 PM

I want to make some pecan cookies really badly.... I just need a little dessert break, but I am relatively new to the diet, so I don't know when to start integrating the "good" stuff in.
I LOVE JESUS!

#21 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 05:20 PM

I had my first whole banana after 2 days on the intro diet. THings went well. No gas or any other flare ups, so I guess it wasn't too early for fruit?
I LOVE JESUS!

#22 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2005 - 06:25 AM

No, you should be fine. I think applesauce would be okay if you make sure you get the kind with NO added sugar, etc. I eat canned fruit ~ in its own juice. The book says that canned fruit is fine as long as there isn't any added sugar. I will double check my facts and post again. :)

#23 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 04:31 PM

I am sort of frustrated with SCD. Everytime I try to integrate something new, I see signs that I shouldn't have tried it. I have been on this diet for a while and I am sick of eating carrots, green beans, and hamburger patties. Anyone else having problems integrating things? i am dying for strawberries!
I LOVE JESUS!

#24 shimma

shimma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:12 AM

I can't add almonds to save my life! I keep trying, getting sick, waiting a while, and trying again. At least peanut butter seems to be ok, so I can make brownies and pancakes.

Is that really all you're eating? What foods are giving you issues? Does cooking them help?

#25 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 01:25 PM

I got a yogurt maker 2 weeks ago, so I started adding that, but everytime I try to add something, I get excessive gas and constant "gurgling" in my stomach that isn't ever there when I just eat carrots, ripe bananas, green beans, meat/eggs, or yogurt. Natural peanut butter doesn't give me any problems either. I have tried pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, raisins, prunes. I have read where I should de-seed fruit in the beginning, but it seems useless with strawberries!!!!!!
I LOVE JESUS!

#26 shimma

shimma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 04:28 PM

I had trouble with uncooked fruit in the beginning. It seems to be better now. I think I had to go through an adjustment period to deal with all the fiber, etc.

I'm kind of surprised about the pineapple. Pineapples have digestive enzymes in them that are supposed to aid digestion, not distress it. I find that they generally make me feel better (a bit surprising, because other high-acid fruits like citrus really bug my stomach!)

I'm sure you will get there. Maybe your body needs more time to adjust. I know that's not very helpful though.....but I understand your frustration. I'm beginning to wonder if I can ever have almond bread, etc.!

#27 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 01:54 PM

I am dying to make myself some sort of dessert. I really want to try to make ice cream because I am hoping my body can handle its smooth consistency better than it could something made from nut flour. Have you tried making ice cream?
I LOVE JESUS!

#28 shimma

shimma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 02:00 PM

I don't have an ice cream maker. I think I will get one soon because I've been thinking about it since I started this diet. Plus it's summer now - and I don't have air conditioning!

#29 Guest_Eloisa_*

Guest_Eloisa_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2005 - 08:12 PM

Papaya also has great digestive enzymes in it. It really stinks but when you make a fruit smoothie out of it or a milk shake it really tastes good.

#30 shimma

shimma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 06:05 AM

Papaya is a great idea. I wonder if they're in season? I know mangoes are - they were only 49 cents apiece at the store and I ate quite a few of them! Yum. I love summer fruit.

Have you tried making custard for dessert? It's nice and smooth like ice cream, but maybe a little easier to make. I've been having it quite a bit. I was making it before with almond milk (recipe out of Joy of Cooking, very basic, just eggs, almond milk instead of cow's milk, vanilla, a little salt, and honey). Today I made the recipe out of BTVC and I can't wait to try it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: