#286 dlp252

dlp252

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 11:10 AM

I don't have to do it now. :D
He feels its not necessary plus I don't wanna go through it again.

YAY!!!! :D I don't have to have another for 10 years! Woohoo! :D :D :D

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#287 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:33 AM

Hi everybody,

I've made major mistakes the last few days and I've been soooo sick. After my Cinco de Mayo corn fest, I kept eating foods to to test my system, I had only been eating fruit, veggies, and meat and I need more to eat -I'm hungry, like Chris Farley H -U -N -G -R -Y. So, it turns out there is corn starch in these crackers I ate that I get from a local gluten free bakery, I made a cheese dip to dip them into, and I also tested Pamela's cookies (some people seem to tolerate them as corn free even though they have the dreaded xanthan gum, I hate xanthan gum) and haagen dasz vanilla bean and chocolate peanut butter ice creams (no corn syrup listed on either). My mouth is covered with open sores, blisters, it's like they ripped all the tissue inside my mouth apart. My ear drums are swollen, I am retaining so much water retention in my whole body I gained literally 15 pounds. I'm totally bummed. I know corn is a real problem for me but I think I still have a lot of other food allergies/intolerances/sensitivities along with it. It's so hard to figure it all out, and to figure out what to eat. And when you are hungry you gotta eat. Oh well, I'm just venting....

Anybody know what to do to get the water retention down?? Mine never goes away quickly unless I take all offending allergens out, and even then it takes several days.

#288 eKatherine

eKatherine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:48 AM

I've found that if the edema is from a sensitivity, like milk, it takes almost a week to disappear on its own. I suspect that antihistamines would chase it.

But if it's caused by salt and inactivity (as on an airplane), raw pineapple or watermelon seems to flush it.
Nothing

#289 dlp252

dlp252

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:05 PM

Well, I started my corn-free quest yesterday and so far so good. I attended two birthday parties on Saturday (one reason why there wasn't a point to starting then, lol), and ate SOMETHING that totally bloated me up. I gained two pounds overnight. I think eating corn-free yesterday kept all offending villans out so I lost that extra weight today. One bummer...I was all set to eat some shrimp tonight for dinner (TJ's Frozen Shrimp) fortunately I looked at the ingredients first because SALT was listed in the ingredients...who knew.

I am really bummed though because I had my follow-up with my GI today...I know nothing more than I did before I went in. The results from the biopsies weren't in yet, grrrr. In addition to that, he was trying to make me feel better by telling me that my pre-cancerous cells might really just be "irritation". So I was asking what might cause that, and somehow we got on the subject of my abdominal pain and the bad burning I've had in the middle of the night. He said, "well that might be it". Um, gosh, I've told him about that before and in fact that's why I was taking Prilosec OTC. He wants me to continue taking it for two months and at that time he'll do another endoscopy and take more biopsies. I'm really worried about taking Prilosec for that long...I'm pretty sure it has corn in it. Maybe if that's ALL I have to take it won't be so bad. I've tried to cut out as much as I possibly can. The only thing I haven't replaced are my facial products, hair products, etc. But I did buy some Silly Strawberry toothpaste, lol.

I will say that I didn't have any gas yesterday, which was really NICE! :) NO gas to speak of today either, so, hopefully I'm on the right track with this whole thing.

#290 danikali

danikali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:01 AM

Wow! I haven't been keeping up, but it seems like everyone is having a problem with corn! It's like another epidemic, like gluten!!! Well, I was doing so well, and then yesterday I got my 'monthly friend' and had THE WORST CRAMPS EVER and I had a final at school and knew it was going to be a problem trying to concentrate when all I wanted to do was crawl up in a ball and lay down. So I took some alieve. Well, of course last night I was up with heartburn again......I haven't had it in so long so it was so weird.....(well, a couple weeks is long for me to have no symptoms). Anyway, another day I tried taking an acidopholis and I was up that night too with HORRIBLE stomach pains, in the upper area like below my breastbones. But other than these two times that I took supplements, I've been perfectly fine. It's just insane that such a little amount could kill me so bad. Now I know why I was always in so much pain before considering I was eating deriatives from corn all day long!

Anyway, another thing that I've noticed when I have something with corn in it is I gain like 4lbs overnight! This is insane! Does anyone else get this?
Danielle (Dani)

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease by Dr. Green (gene HLA DQ8) 1/05/06
Diagnosed: Gluten Sensitive through enterolab 11/17/05
Diagnosed: Casein Sensitive through enterolab 3/7/06

Diagnosed: Interstitial Cystitis (IC) 07/26/06

I finally put my picture on because it doesn't look like I'll be eating ANY cake on my Wedding day..........I'm the one in the middle.

Intolerant to: (besides gluten)

Casein
Peanuts (can handle very small amounts)
Any kind of additives or preservatives

#291 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 06:54 PM

I one time gained 12 lbs after a gluten escapade the day before, so I understand how 4 lbs overnight is definately not unreasonable, but it definately sounds like you can't tolerate corn!!!
I LOVE JESUS!

#292 Jackmat

Jackmat

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 07:06 PM

Pre-Opt on April 17 you said:

"The main argument was that the body was not getting enough short chain fatty acids in the diet because these are mostly found in starchy vegetables and the doctors said that long term effects without SCFA could potentially be bad..."

Can you tell me who or what you were responding to?

Thanks,
Jack - sorry if this post doesnt display right.

#293 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:51 AM

JACKMAT---

On page 11, greengirl posted an article written on the SCD. I read it and researched its thoughts on the negative parts of the diet. I found their negative claims to be false.
I LOVE JESUS!

#294 bigapplekathleen

bigapplekathleen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:10 AM

. What about nutritionists, has anyone had any luck talking with them? I have never seen one but was thinking about it.

I used a nutritionist who sepcializes in the gluten-free diet. It didn't work for me, since she asked me to add all sorts of gluten-free grains into my diet. (I cannot tolerate corn, amaranth, buckwheat, quinoa, etc). I got sicker and sicker and gained a lot of weight and had a lot of medical side-effects. I really don't know what it is about nutritionists that they think we all need to eat grains? Both the PALEO diet book and Elaine's book talk about how difficult it is for us to digest grains, especially after years of damage to the intestines.

I finally found a naturopathic physician this spring who 'gets it' about digestive disorders and realizes the problems of lack of proper enzymes, intestinal permeability, etc. I went on strict PALEO diet for a while (which I had done 2 years ago very successfully for about 4 months) and now have begun the SCD diet. I have lost about 5 pounds in the past week and 5 more during the previous 2 weeks. My stomach is calmer than ever on the SCD. I am amazed, frankly. I don't remember feeling this good in my gut. I am not hungry, either, since the diet is so high in protein (just like paleo).

Kathleen

gluten-free diet 2.5 years
Paleo diet - on and off for past 2 years
SCD diet - started May 2006

#295 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 03:13 PM

I just had to re-start the diet after cheating (which I had never done before). I just got sick of others around me eating cookes/cake, so I ate one too many M&Ms. Felt awful, wasn't worth it!
I LOVE JESUS!

#296 corinne

corinne

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 03:17 PM

An update. I've now been on the SCD for 4 months. I'm completely off all anti-diarrheals and my weight has finally stabilized. I can now tolerate all well-cooked non-starchy veggies and all well-cooked fruit including berries. Meat, fish, eggs, raw bananas, avocados and FINALLY almond and pecan butter are okay too. I'm eating about 3 jars of almond butter a week - it's so addictive and maybe I can finally starting gaining some weight back. Pretty soon, I'm going to start trying some easy to digest fresh fruit and veggies.

#297 dlp252

dlp252

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 12:59 PM

Corinne that is FANTASTIC!!!!!! Great job!

Megs - good for you for starting over and figuring out that it isn't worth it. I did something similar this last week by eating 6 Hershey's kisses...felt awful for a couple of days afterwards.

#298 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 01:24 PM

Corinne---- Awesome! I am so happy you are such a good success story. Keep up the good work!
I LOVE JESUS!

#299 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:44 PM

How are the diets going? I haven't heard anything in a while!
I LOVE JESUS!

#300 Guest_greengirl_*

Guest_greengirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:10 PM

How are the diets going? I haven't heard anything in a while!

Well, I stopped after 6 weeks. I was feeling weak and even out of breath when I climbed the stairs. Plus, I had burning pain a lot in my abdomen. The amazing thing is, when I went back to gluten free foods, I could tolerate everything better than before I started SCD. That tells me that it was effective and I feel it jumpstarted my healing. I have more energy now and the burning pain is gone.

I went hog wild the first few days back on gluten-free foods! I couldn't wait to eat baked potato, corn on the cob, and gluten-free baked goods. I do try to limit gluten-free breads, treats, and sugar now though. I just don't feel good when I eat too much of it. And I'm limiting dairy, as well.

One negative thing that came out of the diet is that I don't seem to be able to tolerate almonds anymore. I think I ate so many almonds during those 6 weeks (it's in all the scd recipes!) that even the thought of almonds makes me feel sick! Hopefully this is just a passing intolerance, but it does seem that too much of anything is not a good thing!

Hope others are having success!
Christine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: