326 replies to this topic

#301 BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:51 PM

I am dying to make myself some sort of dessert. I really want to try to make ice cream because I am hoping my body can handle its smooth consistency better than it could something made from nut flour. Have you tried making ice cream?

I don't know if you've figured out a dessert since I haven't read to the bottom of this post, but applesauce with maple syrup is pretty good. I'm not on the SCD, I'm on the Paleolithic diet, which sounds quite a bit different since I'm not allowed beans, grains, dairy of any kind - easy enough since I've been off dairy for two years, but the beans I miss and the grains - I don't miss them but they sure make it easier to eat out or get something to grab at the store.

Anyway, if you're allowed maple syrup, you might try it.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#302 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:58 AM

I have made ice cream before and it turned out pretty well. It wasn't quite as creamy as I usually like it, but the taste was there
I LOVE JESUS!

#303 GIJane

GIJane

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 05:53 AM

I've had a major improvement so far (6 weeks). I had D for about 2 hours a day, nausea, occasional vomiting, cramps and gas. I've had no D, nausea or vomiting at all. I've had cramps only when I tried some new foods that didn't agree (spinach, yoghurt, cheese, ground nuts). I'm down to 70% of the peptobismol that I started with. I do have collagenous colitis not celiac disease so I might be seeing more improvement than someone with celiac disease would.

Hi Corinne,

I have celiac AND microscopic colitis. I am considering the SCD, but am feeling a bit intimidated, simply because my diet is already so restrictive. That said, I really want to rid myself of my occasional (once every two months) bouts of colitis. They last for 3-4 weeks and are really unpleasant. I'd love your advice. Any chance I could email you directly?

Thanks.

#304 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:52 AM

I have sort of adapted my diet. I am not strictly doing SCD anymore..... I can't take the temptation at all of the birthdays, reunions, and get togethers of any sort. I usually have to sit there and watch people eat cake. They can all kiss it. Anyway, lately I have been craving things that are not SCD "legal" like caramel corn rice cakes, so I allow myself to have them 1-2x per week. I still feel really good. If I start to feel icky again, I will definately have to rededicate myself to SCD 100%, but right now things are well...
I LOVE JESUS!

#305 lindalee

lindalee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:10 PM

I have sort of adapted my diet. I am not strictly doing SCD anymore..... I can't take the temptation at all of the birthdays, reunions, and get togethers of any sort. I usually have to sit there and watch people eat cake. They can all kiss it. Anyway, lately I have been craving things that are not SCD "legal" like caramel corn rice cakes, so I allow myself to have them 1-2x per week. I still feel really good. If I start to feel icky again, I will definately have to rededicate myself to SCD 100%, but right now things are well...

I am thinking about going on the SCDdiet. Haven't gotten the book yet and then a friend called tonight and suggested the Maker's Diet. Have been reseaching the SCD and it sounds like it would be good -do you have to do the baking? I haven't researched the Maker's Diet at all Thanks, LL
Lee

#306 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:23 AM

I am thinking about going on the SCDdiet. Haven't gotten the book yet and then a friend called tonight and suggested the Maker's Diet. Have been reseaching the SCD and it sounds like it would be good -do you have to do the baking? I haven't researched the Maker's Diet at all Thanks, LL

The SCD is wonderful. It really "cleans" your system out and makes you feel better than ever. I make all of my food because I don't trust anyone else to do anything just for the possibility of cross contamination. I don't do much "baking" per se. I only make the "goodies" like cakes, cookies, ice cream, etc. every once in a while, which is usually on the weekends. I don't need to gain weight, in fact I would love to lose a few, so I try to stay away from the calorie dense things like that on the diet. Let me know if you have any more questions, but I highly, highly recommend the diet. It is tough, but worth every bit.
I LOVE JESUS!

#307 lindalee

lindalee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:37 AM

Thanks, I think the scd diet sounds very healing. Have you been on it long? Anyone else here still on it? I read up on the book on Amazon last night and sounds like it even helps cholesterol. The Maker's Diet sounds like it has grains. I'm off grains, dairy, soy and most corn and nightshades. I have a multiple glass yogurt maker but haven't used it for years- I don't even remember how to use it. What kind do you have? LL
Lee

#308 Cindy Chabot

Cindy Chabot

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:23 PM

I find this discussion interesting. I just finished reading the book and it makes a lot of sense. My brother has been on the diet for about a month. I just don't know if I could follow such a restricted diet.
Cindy

Positive biopsy
gluten-free since August 4, 2005
Son - positive biopsy

#309 dlp252

dlp252

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:42 PM

Thanks, I think the scd diet sounds very healing. Have you been on it long? Anyone else here still on it? I read up on the book on Amazon last night and sounds like it even helps cholesterol. The Maker's Diet sounds like it has grains. I'm off grains, dairy, soy and most corn and nightshades. I have a multiple glass yogurt maker but haven't used it for years- I don't even remember how to use it. What kind do you have? LL

I'm not still on it, but I do credit it for helping my digestive system to calm down enough to almost feel "normal". My diahhrea is gone (except for ocassional mishaps) and I'm not having as many abdominal pains. I did the diet for about 5 weeks and I think I started it at just the right time...my intestines were starting to heal from gluten/dairy free and I think this just helped that happen a little quicker.

#310 lindalee

lindalee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:35 AM

I'm not still on it, but I do credit it for helping my digestive system to calm down enough to almost feel "normal". My diahhrea is gone (except for ocassional mishaps) and I'm not having as many abdominal pains. I did the diet for about 5 weeks and I think I started it at just the right time...my intestines were starting to heal from gluten/dairy free and I think this just helped that happen a little quicker.

I don't have pain my symptoms are more fatigue and brain fog and getting the bathroom right. I've heard about fall off? and C-Diff? does or did the diet bring this on? LL
Lee

#311 Lexis

Lexis

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 06:52 AM

I never heard of the diet, what is it?

#312 dlp252

dlp252

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:27 AM

I don't have pain my symptoms are more fatigue and brain fog and getting the bathroom right. I've heard about fall off? and C-Diff? does or did the diet bring this on? LL

Hum, I can't say that it helped a lot for the brain fog, but I did notice the other day that I'm not as tired as I used to be. I don't think the diet could cause C-Diff...at least I don't think so...not sure about fall off either. My doctor (who did test me for C-Diff because of the D) said that C-Diff is usually caused by antibiotic overuse...I'd been on TONS of antibiotics over the last 3 years. I'm sure there are other causes, she just didn't mention them.

I never heard of the diet, what is it?

It is a diet that was designed for people with Chrohns or other bowel/digestive issues. It is called "the Specific Carbohydrate Diet" (the book is called Breaking the Vicious Cycle) wherein you eat certain types of foods designed to be easily digested. It was designed by a doctor for Elaine Gottschall(sp??)'s daughter. Here are a couple of links for some info:

http://www.breakingt...iouscycle.info/

and

http://www.pecanbread.com/

#313 lindalee

lindalee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:08 AM

The SCD is wonderful. It really "cleans" your system out and makes you feel better than ever. I make all of my food because I don't trust anyone else to do anything just for the possibility of cross contamination. I don't do much "baking" per se. I only make the "goodies" like cakes, cookies, ice cream, etc. every once in a while, which is usually on the weekends. I don't need to gain weight, in fact I would love to lose a few, so I try to stay away from the calorie dense things like that on the diet. Let me know if you have any more questions, but I highly, highly recommend the diet. It is tough, but worth every bit.

How did you make your yogurt? I have the 5 cup Salton one and don't have the instructions.
Lee

#314 Cindy Chabot

Cindy Chabot

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:24 PM

Today is my first day on the scd diet. I hope that it helps me feel better. I have been tired and depressed and it sounds like my digestive track is to blame.

It will be a long journey, but hopefully worthwhile.
Cindy

Positive biopsy
Son - positive biopsy

#315 utdan

utdan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 02:27 PM

Hello, I'm new to this diet and have some questions, and forgive me if my questions are already addressed as I only read up to page 8 or so:

Do any of you use a probiotic on the SCD diet? Is Theralac Legal?

What vitamin supplements do you use?

Is the "microbes" referred to in the book the same as candida?

I bought the book and tried eating as recommended but my energy level took a dive and I developed a bit of anxiety.
Dan

Negative blood work
gluten-free since 3/5/06

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: