326 replies to this topic

#316 lindalee

lindalee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:17 AM

Hello, I'm new to this diet and have some questions, and forgive me if my questions are already addressed as I only read up to page 8 or so:

Do any of you use a probiotic on the SCD diet? Is Theralac Legal?

What vitamin supplements do you use?

Is the "microbes" referred to in the book the same as candida?

I bought the book and tried eating as recommended but my energy level took a dive and I developed a bit of anxiety.

Dan, The SCD group is very helpful with all the legal diet info. There are several groups to choose from. I have learned alot from them. LL
Lee

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#317 Rob.

Rob.

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:24 AM

ok so I too am giving this diet ago, lots of people are claiming to lose weight on it. But I don't have the weight to lose! What are peoples experiences on weight loss with this diet?

#318 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:05 PM

Hi Rob. I have only been on it myself for 3 days, but from what I can figure it helps to balance weight, so those that need to lose, will lose, those who need to gain, will gain, and those that don't, don't!

I suppose it is possible that you might lose a few lbs initially, but I would think that would pick back up again as the body adjusts. I know there were a few on here who were able to finally gain weight on the diet after not being able to.

It is a good diet and is very scientifically sound. I am finding even after just 3 days I can now tolerate foods that I couldn't a week ago. I bought the book and it has just arrived today so I am slowly working my way through it.

It will take some getting used to but I will cope with it ok. I like cooking, which helps! I hope you are successful with it too.

PS. As this thread is so long, I started another one but so far no one has posted on it!
Ali - 50 - struggled with what I now know to be GI symptoms and poor carb digestion for at least 35 years! Diabetic type II (1997). Mother undx Celiac - lifelong diabetic Type 1 & anemic (plus 1 stillborn and 10 miscarriages after me). Father definitely very GI.

Stopped gluten & dairy, Jan 08, but still other issues so dropped most carbs and sugar and have been following the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) since March 08. Recovery slow but steady and I can now eat a much broader range of foods especially raw which are good for my digestion and boost my energy level.

Not getting better? Try the SCD - it might just change your life.........

#319 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:12 PM

Sorry, my SCD thread was moved from this section of the forum to 'Other Food Intolerance and Leaky Gut Issues' for some reason.

Please feel free to post on there. This one seems to have outgrown itself!
Ali - 50 - struggled with what I now know to be GI symptoms and poor carb digestion for at least 35 years! Diabetic type II (1997). Mother undx Celiac - lifelong diabetic Type 1 & anemic (plus 1 stillborn and 10 miscarriages after me). Father definitely very GI.

Stopped gluten & dairy, Jan 08, but still other issues so dropped most carbs and sugar and have been following the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) since March 08. Recovery slow but steady and I can now eat a much broader range of foods especially raw which are good for my digestion and boost my energy level.

#320 Guest_hightop girl_*

Guest_hightop girl_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:38 PM

Where do I get information about the Specific Carb Diet? At first I lost weight, but recently I have gained some back. I do not really eat any of the special gluten free pastas, bread or desserts. I would like to look into this plan.

#321 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:31 PM

Just Google 'Specific Carbohydrate Diet' and it will come up with links. The best is Elaine Gottschall's 'Breaking the Vicious Cycle' site. Also 'Pecanbread' - aimed toward kids with Autism and ASD as the diet is very successful for this, but helpful for all with many different problems, children and adults alike. There are a few other websites for more info and recipes, etc.

Those of us who are on it can give support too - as this one is a bit on the big side, I have started another SCD thread in the 'Food Intolerance and Leaky Gut Issues' section.

Hope this helps.

#322 kitten37

kitten37

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:48 PM

Well I ordered the book for this diet. Going to give it a chance. I've been looking for a way to cleanse that didn't involve lemon juice+honey+cayenne perrper..lol. Hopefully this will give my body the kick start it needs.

My only question is how "normal" a diet do you eventually work back to? Because for me there is a point when not giving your body anything is just bad for you as well.

#323 AliB

AliB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:46 PM

Well I ordered the book for this diet. Going to give it a chance. I've been looking for a way to cleanse that didn't involve lemon juice+honey+cayenne perrper..lol. Hopefully this will give my body the kick start it needs.

My only question is how "normal" a diet do you eventually work back to? Because for me there is a point when not giving your body anything is just bad for you as well.

Not sure what you mean by 'not giving your body anything'. The diet consists of meat, fish, poultry, fats, eggs, and lots of simple carbs from fresh fruit and plenty of vegetables. You can supplement with a little honey and nuts, if your stomach can handle them, and some good, well-cultured yogurt.

There is plenty of food to choose from so there is no need to starve! If you check the websites and the book there are quite a few 'sweet' things you can make as treats with the available foods. Contrary to popular opinion we won't starve to death if we go without all the carb-based foods that we are used to eating. It is only in the 'West' that we consume this quantity of carbs. Unfortunately it is that quantity of carbs that is doing all the damage.

There are many communities around the world that eat very little carbohydrate yet they are fit and healthy and what is more, they don't suffer the 'western' diseases that we do. Those communities that have adopted the 'Western' high-carb, high-sugar diet get the diseases that go along with it.

I am not going to go back to eating the way I did before - that is what landed me in this mess in the first place. We only get out of our body what we put in. Most carbs and sugars are junk to the body. If we fill our bodies with trash and toxins then we can't be surprised if we feel like a garbage tip! They may look nice, and they may taste fabulous, but they are an insidiously deceptive temptation that is being dangled in front of us continuously like the proverbial carrot!

It is so easy to slip back into the old habits. I am trying to retrain my brain to focus on the healthy foods that make me better and will keep me well rather than the scrummy poison that is making me sick. Whilst a bit now and again as a treat may be ok, going back to the old way is a backward step. I know I am going to have to be very disciplined as past experience has shown me that if I start to eat carbs again, I cannot stop! That is one of the biggest problems with it - the more you have, the more you want. Oooh, it's very clever and very devious stuff.

#324 kitten37

kitten37

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:58 PM

Not sure what you mean by 'not giving your body anything'. The diet consists of meat, fish, poultry, fats, eggs, and lots of simple carbs from fresh fruit and plenty of vegetables. You can supplement with a little honey and nuts, if your stomach can handle them, and some good, well-cultured yogurt.

There is plenty of food to choose from so there is no need to starve! If you check the websites and the book there are quite a few 'sweet' things you can make as treats with the available foods. Contrary to popular opinion we won't starve to death if we go without all the carb-based foods that we are used to eating. It is only in the 'West' that we consume this quantity of carbs. Unfortunately it is that quantity of carbs that is doing all the damage.

There are many communities around the world that eat very little carbohydrate yet they are fit and healthy and what is more, they don't suffer the 'western' diseases that we do. Those communities that have adopted the 'Western' high-carb, high-sugar diet get the diseases that go along with it.

I am not going to go back to eating the way I did before - that is what landed me in this mess in the first place. We only get out of our body what we put in. Most carbs and sugars are junk to the body. If we fill our bodies with trash and toxins then we can't be surprised if we feel like a garbage tip! They may look nice, and they may taste fabulous, but they are an insidiously deceptive temptation that is being dangled in front of us continuously like the proverbial carrot!

It is so easy to slip back into the old habits. I am trying to retrain my brain to focus on the healthy foods that make me better and will keep me well rather than the scrummy poison that is making me sick. Whilst a bit now and again as a treat may be ok, going back to the old way is a backward step. I know I am going to have to be very disciplined as past experience has shown me that if I start to eat carbs again, I cannot stop! That is one of the biggest problems with it - the more you have, the more you want. Oooh, it's very clever and very devious stuff.

Sorry I probably didn't make my point correctly. It just sounded from other posts and from what I read on the web (MARKETING - only the beginning part they give you so you have to buy the book) that it was extremely restrictive at first and I just wanted to know how long it takes to get back to eating a full balanced diet. I have a massive distaste for "fad diet" books and just wanted to be sure this was more about healthy living for the disorder not trying to drop weight ASAP.

And to honest I don't eat any processed foods as is. I already make all my food from scratch sauces, pastas whatever, don't drink pops or juices that aren't freshly squeezed. I don't add salt or sugars because heart problems/diabetes run in the family I eat a very well balanced diet with fruits veggies and meat at the top. However with what gluten I do ingest still being a problem....bahh I can't for a coherent thought right now....I just get scared of books that tell you to do things that are NOT in any way healthy...Atkins, south beach ....the rest of the "diet" book world.

I think of the word diet as what you intake daily like my diet is...... Not I'm doing this new diet to lose X amount of pounds in a month.

#325 kitten37

kitten37

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:12 PM

I got my book yesterday and read thoroughly. I see what you guys meant this is not very restrictive at all. The only change I need to make to my current diet is making yogourt instead of buying and using dry lentils all the time instead of some of the time. I made a beautiful stuffed buttercup squash today (a favorite of mine). I'm so excited now!!!

#326 KnightRobby

KnightRobby

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

Like Betsey, I am wondering about this diet. Can anyone tell me where I go to start this diet or is the diet explained step-by-step online or in a book?

Thanks for the help!

#327 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:35 AM

Here is some basic info about it, although it seems you have to buy the book to get all the details:
http://www.breakingt...the-intro-diet/

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: