326 replies to this topic

#46 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 02:50 PM

It is called the specific carbohydrate diet and more indepth info can be found on the web at www.breakingtheviciouscycle.com. Basically it is just a really restrictive definately Gluten free diet that "cleans" out your intestines by starving the bad bacteria out, allowing the good bacteria to thrive.
I LOVE JESUS!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 02:05 PM

I just started this today. I don't have the book (it is on order) and I'm going off info from a web site. I really hope it helps me get my intestines to feeling better!

One things though, I'm casein intolerant. So I'm going to try making yogurt from coconut milk. My first try came out very liquid, didn't set up at all, but it tastes good! I have been using it in smoothies.

#48 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 01:18 PM

You WILL feel 10000 times better if you follow the diet correctly... without cheating. Good luck !
I LOVE JESUS!

#49 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 03:34 PM

My resolution is to go back STRICTLY on the SCD. I "went off" during the holidays and my recovery from surgery. NOW it is time to get back to eating right. I want to finsh my year and start this summer off as healthy and fit as I did the last one. :) Are you continuing Megs?? Let me know! Did you stick to it over the holidays?? If so, GOOD going!!! :)

#50 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 05:52 PM

I, basically due to basketball, have had to add brown rice, potatoes, and fluid milk into my diet. I wasn't getting as many carbs as I needed to survive our grueling 3 hour practices. I still feel great and haven't "suffered" from going off it a bit, but I was on it for 6-7 months without cheating once, so I obviously healed well enough to continue to do well.
I LOVE JESUS!

#51 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:02 AM

That's great!! :) I feel good, but I do notice that the lbs. slowly creap back on when I go off of the SCD. SO, for my waistline's sake... I need to keep to my SCD!! :)

#52 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:22 AM

Ok, I'm going to sit down with the book this weekend, do my shopping and get started.

I noticed the web site says coconut milk is ok, is that true from the start? Or is that later on? Anyone know?

#53 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:07 PM

I totally agree about the weight... when strictly following SCD, I got to my skinniest I have ever been. Now the lbs have creeped back a bit, but then again I am lifting weights and working out so I give myself a couple lb buffer...
I LOVE JESUS!

#54 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:02 PM

A lot has been said lately about gaining weight on this forum. How have my fellow SCDers done as far as that goes? I definately lost weight with this diet, but I had to limit cheese, peanut butter....
I LOVE JESUS!

#55 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:23 PM

I have a good 20 pounds I'd like to lose and I have been dieting for about 3 years trying to lose around a total of 65. Since I've been on SCD I've still been stuck and unable to lose, but it is a slightly lower low than before. :P I've got no metabolism.

#56 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:34 AM

Hang in there nancy!!! It will start coming off. I go "off" the SCD when I go to a function or am invited out, but go right back on asap. :) The weight will come off if you stick to it. :)

#57 Jstd

Jstd

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:29 PM

I started the SCD today and am hoping my book will arrive tomorrow.
I do have a question .... Do you have to do hamburgers during the intro? Is it possible to do chicken breast, turkey burgers or another protein?
I am not the biggest fan of red meat.
Thanks for the help.

#58 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:42 PM

I kind of skipped the whole intro part, for the most part, because I didn't have that much diarrhea. But every time I over do something my body tells me.

I had chocolate yesterday and I've felt miserable ever since. Tired, headachy, and my stomach/intestines objected.

#59 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 03:14 PM

JSTD- You can definately do chicken or turkey, tuna, or fish (if it isn't packed with broth which contains soy) in the intro, and yes, I would definately follow the diet especially the introduction part. I didn't have any "D" either, but it is important to get a good start on this diet since you are going for intestional health here.
I LOVE JESUS!

#60 corinne

corinne

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:46 PM

Just found this website. I have collagenous colitis and it's been getting much worse over the past year. Medication wasn't working. I couldn't get out of the house until almost lunchtime. My mother is celiac and since collagenous colitis has a strong link to celiac, I decided to try gluten free. It didn't help at all. The more rice I ate, the worse I felt.

I started the SCD 5 weeks ago and I have had NO symptoms at all for four weeks except when I introduce some new foods. My diet right now is very limited. I had strong reactions to yoghurt, dry curd cottage cheese, fish, nuts. The ok foods so far are beef, chicken, pork, diluted grape juice, eggs and well cooked carrots, beets, zuchini and peaches. Pretty boring, but I feel so good it's worth it.

I started with well cooked carrots and I've been introducing new foods about twice a week. I'll try a good portion of the new food, then wait about 3 days to see if I have any reaction. I hoping that I can expand the okay foods quite a bit after things settle down.

I ran 2 miles first thing this morning which felt fantastic!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: